Training Preseason 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

JT and training notes
It would be nice to see Kuek get at least a couple of games towards the end of the season if he gets himself right. Still has
alot to do obviously.

If we find a player later in the draft, as we seem to have done with Simpson, it gives a great opportunity to build depth. Our history is pretty good in that regard, but after paying for Jackson it was a great draft. Delean too.
Love the look of Simpson and Delean, not sure about Murphy though, doesn’t feel like a list need as we already have Draper and Davies as young KPD’s, added to McDonald who is mature depth, but at 27 still has a few years more than Hamling to provide coverage. I can’t think of many teams with 6 KPD’s on their list.

Last edited:
Love the look of Simpson and Delean, not sure about Murphy though, doesn’t feel like a list need as we already have Draper and Davies as young KPD’s, added to McDonald who is mature depth, but at 27 still has a few years more than Hambling to provide coverage. I can’t think of many teams with 6 KPD’s on their list.

Yeh very crowded in the back line it seems But it creates competition which is healthy.

Love the look of Simpson and Delean, not sure about Murphy though, doesn’t feel like a list need as we already have Draper and Davies as young KPD’s, added to McDonald who is mature depth, but at 27 still has a few years more than Hamling to provide coverage. I can’t think of many teams with 6 KPD’s on their list.
It looks to like Murphy was expected to go earlier. He may have been seen as too good to pass on. He's a bit taller than our other boys isn't he?

It looks to like Murphy was expected to go earlier. He may have been seen as too good to pass on. He's a bit taller than our other boys isn't he?
Listed as 200cm compared with Draper 197cm and Davies 196cm, definitely felt like “best available” as opposed to list need. It may work out, Draper himself said he is more a forward than back, so maybe once Tabs retires he could swing forward.

Both Draper and Murphy spent most of their junior playing as forwards. I wouldn't be surprised if either spent time playing as a forward this year for Peel.

Listed as 200cm compared with Draper 197cm and Davies 196cm, definitely felt like “best available” as opposed to list need. It may work out, Draper himself said he is more a forward than back, so maybe once Tabs retires he could swing forward.
Murphy played his juniors mainly as a forward, a bit of the same story as Brennan Cox.
I like his disposal and his demeanour with ball in hand - doesn’t panic and takes the good option.
If he accepts WA and develops his body, I really see him taking Alex Pierces spot in 3 years time- our new gorilla slayer.
Gotta have that +200 kiddie on the build

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Down the Arc boiiii.

• Ollie Murphy's body language and intensity is massively improved to what it was when I was last down a few weeks ago.
  • Moose moving and kicking well.
  • LukeyRyan in the rehab group putting a fair bit of work onto that ankle. Must be very minor.
  • Great to see Emmett and Freddy out of the rehab/light duty group and moving well.
  • Mids are doing Stoppage work, trying to keep a lid on it and everything but I'll just say that Nathan is moving... Comfortably.

Down the Arc boiiii.

• Ollie Murphy's body language and intensity is massively improved to what it was when I was last down a few weeks ago.
  • LukeyRyan in the rehab group putting a fair bit of work onto that ankle. Must be very minor.
  • Great to see Emmett and Freddy out of the rehab/light duty group and moving well.
  • Mids are doing Stoppage work, trying to keep a lid on it and everything but I'll just say that Nathan is moving... Comfortably.
Top ups? Who looks to have settled?

Down the Arc boiiii.

Great to hear Emmett is back in full training, needs to really press his case in the next month.

Down the Arc boiiii.

Season 4 Michael GIF by The Office

Down the Arc boiiii.

Any sign of Sam Sturt in full training yet?

Top ups? Who looks to have settled?
Really hard to tell tbh mate. I struggle enough working out who's who at the best of times. I heard Voss name a lot? Hope this helps 😘
Any sign of Sam Sturt in full training yet?
Exclusively rehab group ☹️

Had to leave early but an interesting 18v18 session. Pretty high pressure and intensity.
-Midfield battle was entertaining. Fyfe with his usual freakish ability to break a tackle and get away a handball and also his freakish ability to get caught holding the ball. Nothing new.
  • With no Ryan to bomb it in from the kick it there seemed to be a focus on bringing it in short and kicking through the corridor. The result was pretty hit and miss. A couple times they kicked it to the pocket and fluffed around with it and went nowhere.
  • Dogga had about 3 goal opportunities and completely stuffed all of them up. Dropped a handful of marks. Shocker from him. Some people just aren't good at match sim I suppose
  • Caleb, Andy, Youngy and MJ had a bit of it. All looked good.
  • Sharp got a fair bit of it on the wing opposed to Stanley and kicked nicely and did little wrong. Best22 surely.
  • Any questions feel free to ask. Was an entertaining watch

Oh yeah, some of the forward work was absolutely abysmal. Plenty of goals gone begging through trying to be cute and handing it off instead of kicking the f*n thing.
That passage of play to Tabs was great, then he did a dinky little kick deeper into the pocket which ended up in a throw-in. He's a left-footer, he should've snapped that easily. Classic Tabs 🤣
Other than that he played well, to be fair.

EDIT: the above passage of play was Q1 and actually resulted in a nice set-shot goal from Tabs. It was down the other end in Q2 where Sharp kicked to Tabs right on the boundary and he stuffed it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Training Preseason 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back