Training Preseason chat 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Keitel has the ability it's just always been a case of work ethic. Unless something has significantly changed I don't see how he's a solution.

That would be a PASS and no thank you from me, as much as I do like FIGJAM on my toast....it has no place in a football team.

download-1.jpg

I don't think the " Man With No Chin" has either the attitude or professionalism to make an AFL footballer.

download-2.jpg

As others have commented.... has all the ability :whitecheck: ........... just lacks the right attitude :crossmark:..... he never quite got the concept, that there is no "I" in TEAM.

Freo mate reckons Hugh dixon has issues outside footy

Keitel has the ability it's just always been a case of work ethic. Unless something has significantly changed I don't see how he's a solution.
I think he's learnt how to finally knuckle down and take it on the chin ;)
* Edit - What Uncle Monocle said.

Also, I went to Google some now doubt hilarious photos and I found his phone number. :oops:
If he makes it, he'd want to get that changed. Work phone but still.

I'm curious about all these "grappling" sessions. When does that ever happen in a game? Is this how they train it in the NRL?

Would much rather see someone try and sidestep a defender and the defender has to tackle them and bring them to ground (by watching the hips). The next one has to try and fend off the defender who has to make the tackle stick. The next one has to try and run straight through the defender.

Rinse and repeat. Something which happens 100x a game and is actually relatable to playing.

Not sure how rolling around on the ground for an extended period is going to make Sheed look any less foolish when Bont/Oliver/Selwood collects the footy ahead of him and runs off.

Agree on this, sticking a tackle on a moving opponent should be the obvious emphasis with such training.

The number of lame attempts last season in particular that were broken far too easily by an opposing player not even moving at pace was downright embarrassing.

Yikes.

If Keitel and Dixon are the best we've got as far as top up SSP options go, I'd rather Nesbitt got on the blower to Ben McKinley.

Keitel is about as good as it gets for a Darling sub at this stage of the game.
I actually think he'll go alright.

Morpheus Matrix Fight GIF - Morpheus Matrix Fight Matrix - Discover & Share  GIFs

Yikes.

I'd rather Nesbitt got on the blower to Ben McKinley.

More chance that ant- vax JD rings McKinley, as JD might be wanting the services of a Workplace Relations & Safety Lawyer, with his work related injury/issue ;)... cough.... , which just happens to be Ben McKinleys ares of expertise, his is a partner at Holding Redlich in Melbourne .

They do have a bit in common both won West Coasts Leading Goal Kicker Award and both wore # 27.

download-3.jpg images-6.jpg

Both third tall's and both whipping boys at the Club ........................................................ sadly.

More chance that ant- vax JD rings McKinley, as JD might be wanting the services of a Workplace Relations & Safety Lawyer, with his work related injury/issue ;)... cough.... , which just happens to be Ben McKinleys ares of expertise, his is a partner at Holding Redlich in Melbourne .

They do have a bit in common both won West Coasts Leading Goal Kicker Award and both wore # 27.

View attachment 1320206 View attachment 1320208

Both third tall's and both whipping boys at the Club ........................................................ sadly.
Man what happened to Benny Mac
I remember him dominating one year, then absolutely falling off a cliff

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tyler Keitel and Hugh Dixon invited to train on according to 10 News
Wow just pondered if keitel would get a gig somewhere, like after darling and kennedy

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I don't see the huge need for another tall fwd personally. JK, Oscar, Waterman, Williams and Ryan is plenty of marking power. We even have the Gov pinch hitting fwd option if Edwards can hold down a key back spot.
Keitel and schlensog provide really good cover for darling/injuries/covid protocols

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Was caught as a proper in betweener .. not tall enough for a key forward but not nimble enough for a crumber.. was in the era where we looked for a Russell robertson type forward..he still managed as few bags of goals though and one of my favs from that time

Funny that you ask that Trav22 as I knew Ben before we drafted him, let me explain.

In his draft year I was coaching under 18 in Melbourne and I coached against him at Club level, then I had some contact with him at the Northern Knights and Vic Metro.

Several of the kids I coached at Club level played both Vic Metro & Northern Knights with him.

At the Championships the kids I coached always came and met with me after the games and we talked shit ( Ben accompanied them, as he and a couple of the kids I coached were close mates, as all had played Vic Metro U/16 and U/15 together ) ...as you might expect with highly talent young AFL aspiring players, with unchecked egos, that all thought they were First Round draft picks ... lol .

Ben went second round.. one got rookie listed.... the rest played at various levels in Melbourne District Football and VFL level.... the kid that got rookie listed didn't last long... go cut ..... and eventually come to Claremont, albeit for only one year.

Thats a bit of background as to how I got to know him.

What I can tell you is that the Ivanhoe Grammar School kid .. Ben ... had two major goals in life ....... and in this order.

1. To become a Lawyer.

2. To play AFL Football.

He was always a driven , hard working kid and he studied hard.

A side note he is super smart and he and Tom Swift became good mates ... in fact the rest of the Eagles squad called them the " Oxford Scholars ".

Another side note we know in hindsight that our fans ( not all ...... but some ) shat on Tom Swift and to a lesser extent Ben and IMO, it's no coincidence that both had short and eventful careers at West Coast.

Ben was a wonderful young man, a class act and the lure back home to commence his Law Career was a major reason why he requested a trade back to Melbourne. His preferred destination was Carlton, who were super keen on him, however there was still much bad blood between the two Clubs in the aftermath of the Judd defection.. thats another story. Ben was told we will get a trade done... but it wont be to Carlton.

I lost contact with Ben after that, but I always knew that he would do well in Law and in fact he has.

He is one of those player who I have this haunting, nagging, question mark over that had he been treated a bit better at West Coast, by the fans ...maybe what might have been.

But kudos to the young 18 year old with his dreams and goals in life .............. he has achieved both.

Shuey's released a statement regarding his latest injury setback.

The reason for my absence today was due to doctor’s orders,

My club has been provided with a medical certificate.

I have been diagnosed with suffering from a work related injury and as a result I am on sick leave until further notice.

I will not go into any details as to my medical condition as I wish to keep that strictly private.

I am doing my best to work with the club and my doctors so I can recover from my injury.

I intend to return back to training as soon as I am fit and able.

Funny that you ask that Trav22 as I knew Ben before we drafted him, let me explain.

In his draft year I was coaching under 18 in Melbourne and I coached against him at Club level, then I had some contact with him at the Northern Knights and Vic Metro.

Several of the kids I coached at Club level played both Vic Metro & Northern Knights with him.

At the Championships the kids I coached always came and met with me after the games and we talked sh*t ( Ben accompanied them, as he and a couple of the kids I coached were close mates, as all had played Vic Metro U/16 and U/15 together ) ...as you might expect with highly talent young AFL aspiring players, with unchecked egos, that all thought they were First Round draft picks ... lol .

Ben went second round.. one got rookie listed.... the rest played at various levels in Melbourne District Football and VFL level.... the kid that got rookie listed didn't last long... go cut ..... and eventually come to Claremont, albeit for only one year.

Thats a bit of background as to how I got to know him.

What I can tell you is that the Ivanhoe Grammar School kid .. Ben ... had two major goals in life ....... and in this order.

1. To become a Lawyer.

2. To play AFL Football.

He was always a driven , hard working kid and he studied hard.

A side note he is super smart and he and Tom Swift became good mates ... in fact the rest of the Eagles squad called them the " Oxford Scholars ".

Another side note we know in hindsight that our fans ( not all ...... but some ) shat on Tom Swift and to a lesser extent Ben and IMO, it's no coincidence that both had short and eventful careers at West Coast.

Ben was a wonderful young man, a class act and the lure back home to commence his Law Career was a major reason why he requested a trade back to Melbourne. His preferred destination was Carlton, who were super keen on him, however there was still much bad blood between the two Clubs in the aftermath of the Judd defection.. thats another story. Ben was told we will get a trade done... but it wont be to Carlton.

I lost contact with Ben after that, but I always knew that he would do well in Law and in fact he has.

He is one of those player who I have this haunting, nagging, question mark over that had he been treated a bit better at West Coast, by the fans ...maybe what might have been.

But kudos to the young 18 year old with his dreams and goals in life .............. he has achieved both.

Very interesting, I do remember the part about him wanting to go to Carlton as his preferred destination.

I do remember him having some strick competition up forward with a young JK and Lecras coming through (might have had something to do with it)

Thanks for the insight Monocle.

Would love to see Rotham get a run on the other wing to gaff, use the pace/fitness. Adds another contested mark around the ground and his disposal generally seems quite good. Also any brain farts would have less of an impact not being 40m out from goals.
Didn't we just have a year of Rotham playing wing, It didn't go well and he ended up going to GWS?

They do those drills too. There's a cardio element to the grappling/wrassling, it's fu**en lung busting. You also use every muscle doing it.
Purpose could also be training to end up on top - therefore first to spring up and be running for the ball/contest while the opponents are still getting up.

My I would be impressed if we are so serious about our new contested game plan that we are taking it to that level. It is the sort of thing you can actually train, and seems worthwhile in a sport like ours imo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Training Preseason chat 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Back