Prestigiacomo finally back for Magpies

Remove this Banner Ad

Collingwood have included veteran defender Simon Prestigiacomo for his first AFL game of the season, among four changes for Friday night's clash with Fremantle.
Prestigiacomo's last match at senior level was in round 19 last season. The 30-year-old has since been sidelined by a nagging foot injury.
Also recalled was midfielder Rhyce Shaw for his first game since serving a two-game ban for his role in the drink-driving incident which resulted in season-long suspensions for Heath Shaw and Alan Didak.
Rhyce Shaw was not selected for last weekend's match against Sydney, despite having completed his suspension.
The Magpies also added tall defender Nathan Brown after a week out with soreness, and fellow youngster Danny Stanley.
As expected, skipper Scott Burns was forced out with a calf injury.
Experienced defender Shane Wakelin (groin) and youngsters Alan Toovey (foot) and Sharrod Wellingham (groin) also went out of the side.
Livewire forward Dale Thomas will again miss with a calf injury, despite hopes he could return.
At Fremantle, Clayton Hinkley and Andrew Browne replace Steven Dodd and Brett Peake.
The Western Bulldogs surprised by naming midfielder Sam Reid for his AFL debut for Saturday's AAMI Stadium clash with Adelaide.
Classy defender Lindsay Gilbee returned to the side, with youngster Callan Ward and backman Andrejs Everitt making way.
The Crows made three changes, including welcoming back forward Jason Porplyzia, who had been out with brain bruising.
Fellow forward Kurt Tippett and midfielder Bernie Vince also returned, with Brent Reilly, Brad Moran and Patrick Dangerfield the players to make way.

i forgot simo even existed.

Agree, it's fantastic to see Simon back!

But I wonder.....

Is it welcome back Presti, or goodbye Presti?

Hope it's the former.

Agree, it's fantastic to see Simon back!

But I wonder.....

Is it welcome back Presti, or goodbye Presti?

Hope it's the former.

Have the same feeling. Just seems strange he forces his way into the side on the last game of the season, they probably could have afforded to rest Wakelin without another key defender coming in (other than Brown).

Then again, they hopefully are just getting gametime into him coming into the finals.

Have the same feeling. Just seems strange he forces his way into the side on the last game of the season, they probably could have afforded to rest Wakelin without another key defender coming in (other than Brown).

Then again, they hopefully are just getting gametime into him coming into the finals.

He was among the best players last week in reserves.
He has been a great full back for many years.
Would be first choice full back at Collingwood if fit.
Jonathan Brown has said on record that Presti is his hardest ever opponent.
Some of you guys have forgotten how good Prest is and it should be no surprise that he is back in the side.
Lets hope he stays fit. Fev would not have flogged us 2 times this year if we had a fully fit Presti.
Great to see him back in the side. :thumbsu:

Some of you guys have forgotten how good Prest is and it should be no surprise that he is back in the side.
Lets hope he stays fit. Fev would not have flogged us 2 times this year if we had a fully fit Presti.

Don't get me wrong, i would love nothing more then a fit and firing Presti for the remainder of this season and next.

But i always explore all avenues. :D

He's the sort of player who you'd expect could slot right back in, or at least within first 2 or 3 weeks. Would have been good if he could have got a prac run on Pav or Tarrant.
I have wondered the same thing but I wouldn't say it is guaranteed with the delivery and open forward line that Fev had. good to see that last game MM was employing some crowding tactics at last, very promising for the finals. It may be that Presti "spoilt" MM for the last few years so he never had to worry about crowding the leading forwards much.

I am concerned about Presti's match fitness. Has he managed to play out a full ressies game at all this year?

If he wasn't fit he simply wouldn't be named. You can afford any sort of player not holding their own on the field and in particular someone like Presti that wont be rotated that much.

I think it's great for his return. It has been a long time in between drinks so doubt he'll have to be sharp for senior footy but he has the experience no doubt to get into the swing of things. It's fantastic he gets a game in now before the finals start.

Shame Wakes is out but if he needs a rest before the big action starts then so be it. I want a simple 5 goal win this week, lots of tackles and no injuries. There will be lots of Freeeeo players playing hard and putting their hand up for next year make no mistake about it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Need him to get through.

Think if he can stay on top of injury he'll play a big role next year.

He is the one player we have that can stop forwards like Fevola and co.

We need him at the club next year.

Need him to get through.

Think if he can stay on top of injury he'll play a big role next year.

He is the one player we have that can stop forwards like Fevola and co.

We need him at the club next year.

Agreed. My gut feeling is Wakelin will want to retire at the end of the year but will go on if Presti can not.

We need Presti to stand up. If we have Presti, Brown and Anthony as KP backs next year with another one drafted this year and Ben Reid given some time there as part of his development I think we will be OK. Maybe even better than OK.....

i cringe at presti coming back already. unless he plays 100 times better then his weak performances in the vfl its goodbye presti.

i cringe at presti coming back already. unless he plays 100 times better then his weak performances in the vfl its goodbye presti.
So bests three weeks straight is weak now is it?

Hopefully he gets through the match unscathed and is able to work himself back into some good condition for next year, if he is fit is definitely our first choice for full back.

If he nullifies his opponent (note there is no Pavlich or Taz) it will be interesting come selection time next week. Brown has to stay for the finals, so it's out of Wakes and Presti for the other tall defensive spot. If we play Sydney Wakes will get the nod, St Kilda or Adelaide I'm not so sure. Best case is he stays on and has an impact next year.

Its a funny game for him to come back because there isn't really a matchup for him unless maybe McPharlin plays forward. Hopefully he can just concentrate on building up his match fitness as there definitely will be opponents for him in the finals.

Will he play next week?

What about match fitness?
Played a month straight of VFl and named in teh best three times straight so he s fit.

Depends on the match up next week, and how he plays, whether wakes is fit etc

but simply if presti plays well and we play a side with leading forwards i dare say presti plays if we play sydney with hall wakes plays or that style forward

The bloke is rock solid. He'll come back and do his job.

No doubt in my mind.

I cannot believe how gullible some posters are on here.

This is simply a farewell game for Presti. He will retire at season's end and will not be a part of our finals run. Great servant of our club but the end has arrived and tonight is a tribute for Presti.

If this weren't a nothing game, Wakes would not be 'rested'.

Remove this Banner Ad

Prestigiacomo finally back for Magpies

Remove this Banner Ad

Back