Preview Preview, Swans V Carlton, Friday 28/6

Remove this Banner Ad

Swanhotels

Club Legend
Nov 30, 2011
AFL Club
Sydney
Last week and moving on.....
Coming off last weeks bitterly disappointing game against Port Adelaide the Swans will be looking to hit back hard against the Blues but if that is to happen there needs to be some significant changes made by the Swans. On the up side we finally all got what we were waiting for and that was of course Kurt Tippett. Kurt was probably the only highlight that could be taken away from last saturdays disaster.
The Swans will have to put in a far more convincing effort than last week if they are to knock off the Blues. The Swans pressure was well down on their usual standard, they still laid 100 tackles which is higher than average however this number is inflated by the nature of the game that was played in appalling conditions. The ease in which Port moved the ball through the corridor was concerning by contrast the Swans could not clear the ball out of their back 50. The Swans midfield did not appear to be working both ways like they had been in the previous 4 weeks. In short If the Swans are to topple the Blues they will need to lift their pressure and work rate significantly.

This week
And so we move onto this Friday night against the Blues. The Blues have been competitive all year with their biggest loss being by only 17 points against Colingwood and 3 other losses under 10 points. Carlton seem to be improving with every week as the players are obviously adapting to Malthouses new game plan. Calrton's last outing against the Hawks was a 15 point loss however it was a game that should have been won. Carlton dominated all the key areas of the game but stumbled at the finish line to walk away with an honourable loss.

Sydney has won 3 out of the last 5 against the Blues including a comfortable 22 point win in their last outing. Marc Murphy, Chris Judd and Bryce Gibbs have been the top rated players in the last 5 encounters between the two sides. Murphy will of course not be available for selection due to a broken jaw suffered against the Hawks so this will be a significant loss for the Blues. Chris Judd has appeared to have slowed down this season in terms of disposals numbers as well pace off the mark but he still remains a champion and still looks to be an extremely dangerous prospect for the Swans. Gibbs has improved since his comeback from injury and has played his best 3 games for the year in his last 3 outings so it will be very important that the Swans pay particular attention to curbing his influence. Gibbs has run with Goodes in the past with a fair degree of success however Goodes will not be available this week so we will probably see Gibbs play his role through the midfield and half back on Friday.

2 Key players for the Blues

This season Carlton have been particularly potent when Andrew Walker has been able to run off half back and set up play. Walker has been one of the revelations for Carlton this year after moving from the forward line to half back. When Carlton win Walker averages 24 disposals but when they lose he is down at 16 so he is somewhat of a catalisyt.
Matthew Kruezer seems to also be running into some decent form with his ruck work being nothing short of exquisite against the Hawks. Pyke will have to bring his A game if the Swans are to maintain their mantle as the number 1 clearance side.

Possible ins and outs
As previously mentioned Marc Murphy will be out of the side but the Blues are expected to welcome back Mitch Robinson and Andrew Carrazzo who will add hardness to the midfield plus Chris Yarran should also line up after being dropped for poor body language.

Swans will be missing Adam Goodes from last weeks side but could welcome back in Andrejes Everitt. Armstrong could be in trouble but the growing injury list could be his saviour. There are whispers that Tim Membrey could make his debut which would be very exciting for Swans fans. Jetta and Reid are still a week away which will hurt the Swans

Key Match ups

Hannebery and Catchia - This will be an interesting match, Cachia has some big scalps to his name already most notably Jobe Watson. Hanners will have to work harder than last week if he expects to break the Cachia tag.

Jack and Judd - These two should go head to head. Jack has had a stellar year to date and will certainly keep Juddy honest.

Kennedy and Carrazzo may go head to head depending on Carrazzo's match fitness, look for Kennedy to use his size advantage to win the contested battle.

Jamison/Henderson and Tippett - Jamison has been on radio this week saying that he and Henderson will share the work load when it comes to Tippett so this will be an interesting match up. We all want to see Tippo have a massive one but he will certainly have his work cut out with the In form pair Jamison and Henderson putting down the gauntlet.

Richards and Waite. This is a really crucial Match up, I don't think Grundy will go with Waite as he has to much speed and mobility for Reg. Richards will get the job, he will look to body Waite and by doing so it may prevent Waite from getting a run at the ball. It will be important for the Swans defenders to work with Teddy to fill the hole and get across when possible because Waite can extremely distructive on his day.

Smith on Betts - Smith has done the job before and has had mixed results, Betts got the better of him on 2011 but Smooch had the honours last year.

Rampe on Garlett - Garlett has been in superb form this season and is in many experts All Australian side at the halfway point. Rampe will have to be on his toes because Garlett has speed to burn and can easily turn a game in matter of minutes.

Prediction

This game will be decided in the midfield as most games are. Hanners, Kennedy, Parker, Jack etc all need to regain their pre bye form if we are to walk away with the 4 points. If the work rate is up and the intensity is there from the start I think the Swans will win comfortably. Having said this Carlton have shown that they are no easy beats this season and if they get out of the blocks well then Sydney could start second guessing themselves after last weeks disaster. Anyway folks I think In the end Sydneys pressure will to much for the Blues and the Swans will walk out 17 point winners.

Richards and Waite. This is a really crucial Match up, I don't think Grundy will go with Waite as he has to much speed and mobility for Reg. Richards will get the job, he will look to body Waite and by doing so it may prevent Waite from getting a run at the ball. It will be important for the Swans defenders to work with Teddy to fill the hole and get across when possible because Waite can extremely distructive on his day.

Agreed. Richards has the footy smarts to handle most forwards, but Waite is capable of giving him a towel-up, because, for all his virtues, Richards is just a bit too small/slow to match it with the true physical freaks one-on-one. The question is, who do we actually have in the side with the requisite courage and ability to read the play to help Richards out here? With no Johnson, Mattner or LRT, we'll be pretty much relying on Rampe and or/Everitt. Although the weakness of Carltons 2nd/3rd talls might give Grundy a bit of room to get involved.

Excellent write up.

Waite if switched on could be a nightmare for us on the scg, judd also seems to switch on and perform against us, or maybe i just cannot get the grand final eagles judd out of my head.

I will judge our boys more on this week and last, i can wear the loss if it makes them show some real resolve, the way we start will be crucial.

I rate carlton, i think they are a better side than the ladder suggests, i dont think we have performed much better than them at all in 2013.

I think with our injuries going so deep we'll battle to win this. I'm sure the guys will be keen to come back hard from the Port loss but a 3-legged horse can only run so fast. My odds are 50/50.

Tip: Look for Everitt using his long accurate kick and the small space of the SCG to put the ball down the throat of Tippet. He'll need just a few steps off the half back line.

I'm hopeless at specific match-ups, etc, so I'm going on how I think this game will pan out ... we'll come out far more fired up, will clamp their midfield and get back to some good defence, keeping Waite isolated and out of the picture to an extent. We'll lead early, maybe 3 goals and some behind to a goal by quarter-time, and then outwork them through the next two quarters. It won't be pretty but we'll be in charge most of the way, kick maybe 10-12 goals to maybe 8-9, win it something like 75-80 to maybe 50-55 ... although they might jag a couple late, bring it closer ... as I said, no specifics, just how I see it going. Hannebery will have a ripper, Tippett to kick 2-3, Bolton to step up with out Goodes, also kick a couple, and McGlynn and/or Morton to play well. Richards and Grundy will step up, and we'll generally keep their small forwards quiet.

But I could be wrong ...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You mentioned there was a whisper that Membrey could be playing. Has anyone else noticed that whenever a reserves player gets a write up during the week on th Swans website, they invariably get called up that week. How has he been playing? He is a big unit, possibly want him to play Goodes forward role.

You mentioned there was a whisper that Membrey could be playing. Has anyone else noticed that whenever a reserves player gets a write up during the week on th Swans website, they invariably get called up that week. How has he been playing? He is a big unit, possibly want him to play Goodes forward role.
He was traveling emergency last week which means he is obviously close to getting a game. I havnt seen enough of him in the reserves to say if he is ready to step up. I would love to see him get a taste for it though!

We drop this then we may as well put the cue in the rack, cant afford more losses against sides below given the run home

Yeah its an incredibly tough road if we lose this one, ive not been this nervous for a game since the GF. This wont be easy but as I said in the preview if we can just get the two way pressure going like we had prior to the bye we will win this one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Preview, Swans V Carlton, Friday 28/6

Remove this Banner Ad

Back