Promoter's Dream Grand Finals That Haven't Happened Yet

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, and after our droughts we usually go alright.
1947 to 1968 with no flag.
21 year drought, then 6 flags in 15
seasons when drought was over.
or 7 in 20 seasons if you feel inclined to
include our 15th flag which was over
your mob. I'm not sure you'd be up for
that....
If we start up another golden era you
will be always chasing and dreaming.
Like you are now. Anyway, enjoy your
12th flag. Just don't get stuck on it like
Melbourne have.
Hawthorn Carlton GF would be
excellent... Number 15 (counting the
local comp rules in the beginning) was
the 1 that stopped the Hawks getting
4 in a row? Ur right I won't mention it

The game changes so much decade by
decade so going back to the dawn of
time gives u the upper hand, forget the
rules just go by the end number.
Congrats to the Blues.... However if you
would be as kind as to indulge me, since
our 1st, recent history, we've done ok
 & IMO ur window revolved around
Judd, Waite & some number 1 picks
that would usually scream "success
around the corner" however the build
continues... Our window is closing,
granted, but to me it seems our
immediate outlook is better & with ur
post (actually relevant) I'd love some
Hawks Blues Finals

If you're after TV ratings - Sydney V GWS is probably going to be the one the tops it.

and surely Freo would rest half the team like they usually do against StKilda in Melbourne

Relatively full strength this year and got walloped

St Kilda playing the Dogs will be the best neutral Grand final in years if it ever happens. Have to wonder if the Dogs beat Geelong in that first final in 09 which was a real chance of happening would we have seen what should have happened in 97

Some Grand Final match ups would be an absolute dream come true for those employed in promotions and marketing, but alas haven't happened yet. I can think of the following:

HAWTHORN vs. COLLINGWOOD - Some interesting stats about these clubs is that between 1975 & 1991 with the exception of 1982, every GF contained either Collingwood or Hawthorn, but never Collingwood and Hawthorn; and the 2011 PF was the first time these teams met in any final since 1978. The powerful clubs meeting to fight out for the premiership would be great for the competition, but given that Hawthorn are good at Grand Finals, and Collingwood not so good, it might end badly for the Magpies.

WEST COAST vs. ADELAIDE - A GF between these powerful and fierce interstate rivals was tantalizingly close in the mid-2000s, but ultimately did not happen. It would be great for the AFL if these teams played off in a GF.

WEST COAST vs. FREMANTLE - Western Derby GF. Enough said.

ADELAIDE vs. PORT ADELAIDE - Showdown GF, as with Western Derby, enough said.

GEELONG vs. MELBOURNE - The two largest cities in Victoria with a healthy rivalry. The two oldest football clubs in Australia. A Demons vs. Cats Grand Final was close when the teams were both strong in the mid 1920s, late 1930s, mid 1950s, early 1960s and late 1980s, but alas did not happen. Imagine how great it would be if it did.

MELBOURNE vs. SYDNEY - Although the Demons and Swans aren't particularly big rivals, the cities of Melbourne and Sydney are, so a GF between these clubs would be pretty good.

BULLDOGS vs. ST KILDA - The Cinderella teams of the AFL, both stuck on 1 premiership, both many years ago. Looked a reality in 1997, but did not happen, and the Dogs have developed a nasty PF hoodoo that lingers to this day, St Kilda's GF appearances in this time have resulted in letting a winnable game against Geelong slip in the final term, and thrashings from Adelaide and Collingwood.

SYDNEY vs. BRISBANE - Although the Swans met the Brisbane Lions' predecessors Fitzroy in a Grand Final, this was in 1899. A Sydney Swans vs. Brisbane Lions GF would emulate the NSW vs. Queensland rivalry seen in Rugby League, and a triumph for AFL in the non-AFL states.

WEST COAST vs. BRISBANE - These states have much in common, and enjoy a friendly rivalry. Given that the West Coast Eagles and Brisbane Bears entered in 1987, and that many West Australians have played with the Bears and then the Lions over the years, a GF appears quite apt between them.

What are your thoughts?
1975-1991 hawthorn/CFC stat is awesome.

Would love Richmond vs Hawthorn.

But we'd have to insist the Hawks wear their actual Brown and Gold, rather than the 50 shades of yellow and black they are pushing these days.

Saints vs Bulldogs would be incredible, given that both of them are still on one premiership each if this match-up ever occurs. Neutrals would have a hard time picking a side in this one.

Neutrals would hope that the AFL abolishes the Grand Final replay for that one season and that the game eventually ends up as a draw. Then they can enjoy the agony both supporter bases would be confronted with knowing that they are still locked on 1 premiership each after all those years.

Western Bulldogs vs North Korea.

If Western Bulldogs win, Kim Jong-Un has to give up his power over North Korea and allow it to become a democracy. If North Korea wins, Western Bulldogs must dis-band as a football club to never play an AFL game again.

It would be the ultimate dream Grand Final for promoters as there is an all-or-noting game stipulation accompanying the premiership itself.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

MELBOURNE vs. SYDNEY - Although the Demons and Swans aren't particularly big rivals, the cities of Melbourne and Sydney are, so a GF between these clubs would be pretty good.

I don't see Melbourne as particularly more representative of the city than any of the "suburban" teams at this point. It would make for some dazzling, eye-roll inducing headlines but I don't see it sparking a fierce fire between the two cities.

Some Grand Final match ups would be an absolute dream come true for those employed in promotions and marketing, but alas haven't happened yet. I can think of the following:

HAWTHORN vs. COLLINGWOOD - Some interesting stats about these clubs is that between 1975 & 1991 with the exception of 1982, every GF contained either Collingwood or Hawthorn, but never Collingwood and Hawthorn; and the 2011 PF was the first time these teams met in any final since 1978. The powerful clubs meeting to fight out for the premiership would be great for the competition, but given that Hawthorn are good at Grand Finals, and Collingwood not so good, it might end badly for the Magpies.

WEST COAST vs. ADELAIDE - A GF between these powerful and fierce interstate rivals was tantalizingly close in the mid-2000s, but ultimately did not happen. It would be great for the AFL if these teams played off in a GF.

WEST COAST vs. FREMANTLE - Western Derby GF. Enough said.

ADELAIDE vs. PORT ADELAIDE - Showdown GF, as with Western Derby, enough said.

GEELONG vs. MELBOURNE - The two largest cities in Victoria with a healthy rivalry. The two oldest football clubs in Australia. A Demons vs. Cats Grand Final was close when the teams were both strong in the mid 1920s, late 1930s, mid 1950s, early 1960s and late 1980s, but alas did not happen. Imagine how great it would be if it did.

BULLDOGS vs. ST KILDA - The Cinderella teams of the AFL, both stuck on 1 premiership, both many years ago. Looked a reality in 1997, but did not happen, and the Dogs have developed a nasty PF hoodoo that lingers to this day, St Kilda's GF appearances in this time have resulted in letting a winnable game against Geelong slip in the final term, and thrashings from Adelaide and Collingwood.

SYDNEY vs. BRISBANE - Although the Swans met the Brisbane Lions' predecessors Fitzroy in a Grand Final, this was in 1899. A Sydney Swans vs. Brisbane Lions GF would emulate the NSW vs. Queensland rivalry seen in Rugby League, and a triumph for AFL in the non-AFL states.

WEST COAST vs. BRISBANE - These states have much in common, and enjoy a friendly rivalry. Given that the West Coast Eagles and Brisbane Bears entered in 1987, and that many West Australians have played with the Bears and then the Lions over the years, a GF appears quite apt between them.

What are your thoughts?

My dream grand finals are as follows:

Adelaide
Brisbane
Collingwood
Gold Coast
GWS
Port Adelaide
Richmond

These are the teams we have yet to defeat in the big dance. I aim to have ticked all of them off within my lifetime.

1975-1991 hawthorn/CFC stat is awesome.

Would love Richmond vs Hawthorn.

But we'd have to insist the Hawks wear their actual Brown and Gold, rather than the 50 shades of yellow and black they are pushing these days.

Tried to google a picture of a hawks jumper last time richmond got near a grand final but here is a 1999 one

image.jpg

Tried to google a picture of a hawks jumper last time richmond got near a grand final but here is a 1999 one

View attachment 91400
Thanks! a heritage hawks jumper would be a valid clash strip :)

If the tigers snuck into a granny next year against the Hawks (yes, I know) our 'bogey team' status would have to put the tiniest doubts in the backs of the hawks minds!

Remove this Banner Ad

Promoter's Dream Grand Finals That Haven't Happened Yet

Remove this Banner Ad

Back