Puopolo and Selwood ducking into the tackle to draw the free - is this a fair rule application?

Remove this Banner Ad

ShriekingShack

Senior List
Jun 9, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Joel Selwood cops a lot of flack for his ducking tactics and rightly so, but Paul Puopolo is just as bad.

As a neutral observer watching the game today, I was amazed at how often this guy not only ducked like Selwood, but also flopped and dived time after time. I am amazed that he doesn't receive nearly as much criticism as Joel, as he is just as bad if not worse.

An absolute blight on the game.

• Banned
Joel Selwood cops a lot of flack for his ducking tactics and rightly so, but Paul Puopolo is just as bad.

As a neutral observer watching the game today, I was amazed at how often this guy not only ducked like Selwood, but also flopped and dived time after time. I am amazed that he doesn't receive nearly as much criticism as Joel, as he is just as bad if not worse.

An absolute blight on the game.

Hawthorn supporters in the first quarter: Booo. Anyone who ducks is a cheat.

Hawks fans in the last quarter: Wtf. I love ducking now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah we were all wondering what it takes to get a holding the ball decision... Four consecutive illegal disposals leads to a Cats goal.
GET OFF DANGER, GET OFF DANGER, GET OFF DANGER, christ I thought he was going to go in hard.

Of all the many they got away with the one that gets me gets tackled in the middle of the field and just lets go, clear view from the ump "........ HE HANDBALLED IT".

Not saying we wouldn't got some softies, but they were manufacturing a story and it was clear to see. It was generally well umpired most of the game, I will agree with that despite them getting way more goals from frees.

He statistically isn't as good as selwood at receiving free kicks, so it would be a hard point to argue. Its also far to easy to raise the 'selwood is worse' argument, leading to pointless circular arguing. Puopulo plays just like any small sized forward, always in the contest and getting tackled high by taller oponents.

why the **** can't the umpires just call play on when he ducks?

75% of the time he shrugs out of the tackle anyway, so if it works just stick with that. he doesn't deserve the free kick because he forces the tackle high. it's not that hard but he's been doing it a decade and the umps still fall for it every single time.

I love when Hawks fans get upset over Selwood. Luke Hodge reckons he's the bravest bloke he's ever played against but what would Luke Hodge know? Clearly Hawks fans think Hodgey is an idiot - who am I to argue? ;)

Puopolo doesn't do the arm-shrug Selwood does, which is a point of difference. He collapses and tilts sideways which Joel sometimes does but generally Selwood does the "shrug arm over head" movement which either results in a broken tackle or a free.

Remove this Banner Ad

Puopolo and Selwood ducking into the tackle to draw the free - is this a fair rule application?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back