Tackling banned?

Remove this Banner Ad

Bedford leaps at Taranto, and Bedford admits has very little control over what happens next. That puts the onus on Taranto - who has his arms pinned - to figure out how to avoid falling into the ground.

The AFL would want Bedford to get closer to Taranto so that he doesn't need to leap or pin both his arms. If that means every so often Taranto gets away, so be it.

So now leaping for tackles should be banned? What about leaping for marks? Is that still OK or should those leaps be banned too?

Where does that suggest it's mandatory to suspend a player who causes a suspension?

We have concussion protocols, the players are medically reviewed and counseled constantly, they get paid well. I don't understand how suspending anyone who lays a tackle where there is an unfortunate accident contributes to a cause of action.

The sport is a contact sport. It is inherently dangerous. You consent to that danger by participating.

all well and good but this isn't a new thing. we've known this for 1-2. Like I said, it's staggering that people are still unsure of the rules.

No one is tackling incorrectly, unfortunately there has been some accidental head contact with the ground. It’s an accident. Suspending players for tackling correctly will not change how many get concussion.
I am a player and I tackled 10 times in the game. All with the sane intent. One of them one of my opponents hit his head in the grass. It’s a bloody accident.
Bad luck to the opponent. Just as it is bad luck to my team mate if I accidentally hit him in the head. It’s accidental.

Where does that suggest it's mandatory to suspend a player who causes a suspension?

We have concussion protocols, the players are medically reviewed and counseled constantly, they get paid well. I don't understand how suspending anyone who lays a tackle where there is an unfortunate accident contributes to a cause of action.

The sport is a contact sport. It is inherently dangerous. You consent to that danger by participating.

look up duty of care.

Very interesting situation with finals approaching.

We have two scenarios:
1. Player misses the remainder of the finals series as a result of a tackle leading to an accidental concussion in week 1 of finals, or
2. AFL does a complete backflip and the penalties that have been imposed this week are not enforced during the finals.

Wouldn't be surprised by either scenario...

Very interesting situation with finals approaching.

We have two scenarios:
1. Player misses the remainder of the finals series as a result of a tackle leading to an accidental concussion in week 1 of finals, or
2. AFL does a complete backflip and the penalties that have been imposed this week are not enforced during the finals.

Wouldn't be surprised by either scenario...
Crikey - the hysteria on this thread is as silly as the afl. The afl have overreacted to the concussion scenario- they are panicking about injured heads- not surprisingly. None of us wants to see players with lifelong conditions - so it’s good to see them pursuing this. They just need to calm down, and they no doubt will at some point. They are having teething problems sorting it out but hopefully will end up with reasonable outcomes sooner than later. If we have a messy year-so what? As long as we end up with it right eventually. Attendances are good, tv ratings are healthy. People don’t seem to be turning away from the game from what I can see.
I’d be happy if they brought back Thursday night footy- that’s more annoying for me than all this hysteria.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Crikey - the hysteria on this thread is as silly as the afl. The afl have overreacted to the concussion scenario- they are panicking about injured heads- not surprisingly. None of us wants to see players with lifelong conditions - so it’s good to see them pursuing this. They just need to calm down, and they no doubt will at some point. They are having teething problems sorting it out but hopefully will end up with reasonable outcomes sooner than later. If we have a messy year-so what? As long as we end up with it right eventually. Attendances are good, tv ratings are healthy. People don’t seem to be turning away from the game from what I can see.
I’d be happy if they brought back Thursday night footy- that’s more annoying for me than all this hysteria.
Easy for you to say... I suspect you're not a player who may miss an entire finals series as a result of accidental concussion of an opponent resulting from a legal tackle.

Easy for you to say... I suspect you're not a player who may miss an entire finals series as a result of accidental concussion of an opponent resulting from a legal tackle.
Easy for you to say too.
You’ve already lost Murphy- he’s 24 and it’s had a pretty severe impact on your team’s chances this year. Is this what we want- young footballers quitting in their prime? This stuff is serious for these players.

Don’t know- hardly seems the point though.
Can’t really see which part of my last post you are disagreeing with either.
The point is.. if you're not too daft to see it.. that concussions are accidents and that suspending a player after the fact does nothing to stop them.

It is unrealistic to expect players to be able to do some kind of ju-jitsu technique while contesting a ball.

It shows that they haven’t played the game.

Obviously players are not trying to concuss the opposition, these incidents just happen as part of the game. As such, 3 week suspensions are too long for a simple mistake.

Much like players are obviously not attempting to push in the back, or do high tackles, but accidents happen in a contact sport. We don’t suspend someone for a high tackle, we acknowledge it as a sloppy mistake and pay a free kick. Choosing to bump and getting someone high, fine, suspend.

I’m also fine with free kicks for dangerous tackles, but it is completely unfair to give someone 3 weeks for a vague split second error when they are performing an otherwise typical tackling action of someone with the ball.

Maybe I’m just getting old

Last edited:
Don’t know- hardly seems the point though.
Can’t really see which part of my last post you are disagreeing with either.
I'm disagreeing with your comment 'there are teething problems.... if we have a messy year, so what?'

All it takes is common-sense and an understanding of the game, and we don't have a 'messy year', where players unfairly miss games (likely finals series) for accidental head knocks when applying legal tackles.

If it is outcome based why don't the AFL suspend players for friendly fire?

Accidents happen. Concussions will happen. AFL can't stop it.

As soon as players second guess tackling the game will change forever.

Remove this Banner Ad

Tackling banned?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back