Tackling banned?

Remove this Banner Ad

Bedford leaps at Taranto, and Bedford admits has very little control over what happens next. That puts the onus on Taranto - who has his arms pinned - to figure out how to avoid falling into the ground.

The AFL would want Bedford to get closer to Taranto so that he doesn't need to leap or pin both his arms. If that means every so often Taranto gets away, so be it.

Taranto opted to take possession & run. If they want to go down the path of punishing players for the outcome then ping the player for HTB as soon as they're tackled with ball in hand, regardless of whether there was sufficient effort or not. This will then force players to keep the ball moving in congestion as opposed to trying to bust through packs. If a player elects to take possession and a player puts a legal tackle on them, penalise with HTB.

However attempting to force a change to the mechanics of tackling, that is a legal tackle and not a sling/chickenwing etc, you might as well just convert it to touch footy

Shame on anyone who is even surprised by the Bedford result. Have people been living under a rock? It's staggering that after a couple of years of being told that if you pin both arms in a tackle you are responsible for the player's wellbeing that people are still mystified at the result.

There should be waivers like with boxing, MMA, car racing or other dangerous sports, so The AFL can't be sued. The AFL are reacting this way because of all the lawsuits. The players should be aware that the game is super dangerous and not participate if they're concerned for their well being. I'm surprised waivers were not a thing decades ago.
Yep. Every season I have sprains, scrapes, a fracture or two.

90% the nature of participating in a contact sport
9% the way I play that I could change but don't want to (playing conservatively)
1% from malicious actions to inflict pain (which deserves and has in the last 10 years always constituted a penalty / ban)

As said above, banning players for outcomes over actions doesn't stop the outcome unless you ban the action altogether (bumps, taking a player to ground, slings, species, heavy contested marking situations, first to the ball gets a second to dispose so you avoid head clashes).

Just play basketball style rules? Can guard, strip and block but not tackle.

Last edited:

Bedford leaps at Taranto, and Bedford admits has very little control over what happens next.

Leaps? As in attempts to tackle? Like every single chase down tackle in the history of the game.
That puts the onus on Taranto - who has his arms pinned - to figure out how to avoid falling into the ground.
Like in every tackle.
The AFL would want Bedford to get closer to Taranto so that he doesn't need to leap or pin both his arms. If that means every so often Taranto gets away, so be it.
I look forward to the charge happening every single time there’s a tackle made, oh wait Dangerfield got off 2 weeks ago for the exact same tackle/footy action.

Laura Kane and Andrew Dillon have blood on their hands.
Destroying the game we all once admired and loved.
It's disgusting how the game is being managed, shame shame shame

It wouldnt matter who was in charge. The result would largely be the same. Unless they can magically make concussion & tbi disappear its either go down this path or be sued into oblivion.

Taranto opted to take possession & run. If they want to go down the path of punishing players for the outcome then ping the player for HTB as soon as they're tackled with ball in hand, regardless of whether there was sufficient effort or not.

This will then force players to keep the ball moving in congestion as opposed to trying to bust through packs. If a player elects to take possession and a player puts a legal tackle on them, penalise with HTB.
Umpires can and should call HTB/Ball up much quicker and that would help.

I don't think it would have helped Taranto avoiding crashing into the turf in this scenario. Bedford has basically no control over his body when he makes the tackle, which he would need to turn Taranto or let go of his arms and avoid the concussion.

stop shooting the messenger. the campaigner you replied to said nothing of the sort.
Not shooting the messenger, asking a question.
It wouldnt matter who was in charge. The result would largely be the same. Unless they can magically make concussion & tbi disappear it’s either go down this path or be sued into oblivion.
So banning tackling?

Umpires can and should call HTB/Ball up much quicker and that would help.

I don't think it would have helped Taranto avoiding crashing into the turf in this scenario. Bedford has basically no control over his body when he makes the tackle, which he would need to turn Taranto or let go of his arms and avoid the concussion.

this is the big one. umpires need to blow the whistle quicker. Cameron's may have been helped with a quicker whistle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Afl needs to be clear on where they expect this evolving to so people have time to adjust.

1. We will blow the whistle as soon as someone is tackled, if it's not immediately broken (will this limit the game changing impact of the brutes?).
2. If you tackle someone to ground, it's a penalty against you and you may face a ban if it results in a concussion.

You know what will happen? The person getting tackled will try to go to ground to get the penalty, and then get concussion just like the ducking rule. And it's going to be a wee bit harder to identify "someone deliberately going to ground" over ducking.

You also won't be able to tackle anyone moving at speed as it's incredibly hard to not end up on the ground.

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Since when does being smaller mean you have to jump to make a tackle?
Chase down tackles you do, and despite the word leap being used it wasn’t as if he was leaping onto his back like a piggy back. Watch the video.

If this is the expectation of not being able to tackle from behind, as has been said elsewhere there needs to be a htb call as soon as one is grabbed so that the player can release the tackle.

Shame on anyone who is even surprised by the Bedford result. Have people been living under a rock? It's staggering that after a couple of years of being told that if you pin both arms in a tackle you are responsible for the player's wellbeing that people are still mystified at the result.

There is no point to tackling if you don’t pin the arms.

Afl needs to be clear on where they expect this evolving to so people have time to adjust.

1. We will blow the whistle as soon as someone is tackled, if it's not immediately broken (will this limit the game changing impact of the brutes?).
2. If you tackle someone to ground, it's a penalty against you and you may face a ban if it results in a concussion.

You know what will happen? The person getting tackled will try to go to ground to get the penalty, and then get concussion just like the ducking rule. And it's going to be a wee bit harder to identify "someone deliberately going to ground" over ducking.

You also won't be able to tackle anyone moving at speed as it's incredibly hard to not end up the ground.

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk
Like the bump, you don't need to penalise someone tackling to the ground, you just need to be aware of the consequences if it goes wrong. Blowing the whistle early would not have saved Taranto, it all happened so quickly.

It wouldnt matter who was in charge. The result would largely be the same. Unless they can magically make concussion & tbi disappear its either go down this path or be sued into oblivion.
I just don't believe this... where is this legal threat coming from? Is it credible at all?

We've been playing football and rugby for hundreds of years. Why is the legal position now any different?

Some moron at AFL is taking a ridiculously conservative approach.

I just don't believe this... where is this legal threat coming from? Is it credible at all?

We've been playing football and rugby for hundreds of years. Why is the legal position now any different?

Some moron at AFL is taking a ridiculously conservative approach.

AFL have released new guidelines for what a tackle should look like. Something like below

Dolph Ziggler Reaction GIF by WWE

Prefer the Rhyno version

Along with Heyman GORE GORE GOREEEEEEEEEEEEEE commentary

Remove this Banner Ad

Tackling banned?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back