Pura Cup Final: New South Wales v Victoria @ Sydney (Sat-Wed)

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 3, 2003
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Centrals
pura8se.gif
NSW.gif
[FONT=&quot] vs [/FONT]
vicsj7.png
Sydney Cricket Ground
10:30am Saturday March 15-Wednesday March 19​

The cricket season comes to an end, and while it’s upset the NRL plans to hold a game here on Sunday, it’s over just in time for the AFL season to commence on Thursday. While WA made a late run they’ve been the best two sides all year. Nothing separating these two teams this year with 6 outright wins each, along with one lot of first innings points, while they split the first innings points when they met here a month ago. The good news for Victoria is their first innings points came the other time they met New South Wales, the bad news is they can win the first innings by 600 runs and it won’t do them any good. Further bad news is New South Wales have not been beaten outright all season, and the only point taken by a visiting team at the SCG this season was that one Victoria picked up.

New South Wales have regained Test players Michael Clarke, Nathan Bracken, Brett Lee and Stuart Clark, which sounds like more bad news for the Vics, but Brett Lee has a poor recent record for the Blues, with 29 wickets at 31 in his 6 games not against useless sides South Australia and an understrength New Zealand side since his Test career began. Matthew Nicholson saw the writing on the wall and retired after last week’s game rather than wait for the selectors to tell him he wasn’t going to be playing, while Beau Casson’s 99 may’ve been what they needed to see to give him the number 7 spot over more recognised all rounder Grant Lambert, and fast bowler Mark Cameron – who despite having a good season has only played 4 games in the competition. Michael Clarke replaces Usman Khawaja in another obvious change though it is a little surprising, but good for cricket, that they’ve gone with a five man attack in a game they don’t have to win.

Victoria have recalled injury prone quicks Peter Siddle and Shane Harwood with Darren Pattinson omitted in a game where they need 20 wickets, something they haven’t been able to do against good teams New South Wales or Western Australia this season (New South Wales have achieved that in both games against WA and the Victorian game at the SCG). On form it should be Harwood who misses out on the XI assuming they stick with three quicks, Andrew McDonald’s medium pace, Bryce McGain’s leg spin and the middle order’s part time tweaking options. While those spinners have been useful in one day cricket this year, their combined 7/325 wouldn’t have New South Wales overly worried on day 5, especially with Clarke and Haddin in the team. Siddle’s been great for Victoria when he has been able to get on the park, with a 5-fer in three of his four games. McKay’s come in late and lead the attack with seven wickets last week but took only three wickets in the two games before that – and is the only one 100% fit. Dirk Nannes has been solid all year with 19 wickets in 4 games despite no big hauls, and bowls with the other arm. If Harwood does play, one will be justifiably pissed off. No Gerard Denton as his ankle isn’t up to four or five days of cricket, which makes the selectors’ job a little less difficult, with the choice between Rob Quiney, Lloyd Mash or an extra bowler and makeshift opener also going to give them a few headaches.

Simon Katich and David Hussey’s last chance to impress in four day cricket before the West Indies tour, where one is likely to go as reserve batsman, while Nathan Bracken, Bryce McGain and Beau Casson are possibilities as backup bowlers, and Stuart MacGill probably only has to get through unscathed to make the XI for Kingston but if he bowls rubbish and McGain or Casson takes 10, who knows.

New South Wales XIII:
Phil Jaques, Phillip Hughes, *Simon Katich, Michael Clarke, Dominic Thornely, +Brad Haddin, Grant Lambert, Beau Casson, Brett Lee, Nathan Bracken, Stuart Clark, Stuart MacGill, Mark Cameron

Victoria XIII:
Rob Quiney, Lloyd Mash, Nick Jewell, Brad Hodge, David Hussey, *Cameron White, Andrew McDonald, +Adam Crosthwaite, Clint McKay, Shane Harwood, Peter Siddle, Bryce McGain, Dirk Nannes

Weather:
Fine, mid 20s

Session Times:
First session: 10:30am-12:30pm
Second session: 1:10-3:10pm
Third session: 3:30-5:30pm
(Gates open 9:30)

Coverage:
fs1af0.gif
– live from 10am AEDT daily
Cricket Victoria’s live webcast brought to you by
gg_wc_advert.gif

Bits and pieces of the first couple of days on Grandstand in between NRL games, AFL preview shows and F1 on the radio
Cricket Australia’s scorecard
SCG Webcams:
live_image.jpg

live_image.jpg

Tickets:
Adults - $10
Concession/Children - $5
(Weekend free if wearing a shirt featuring a cricket club’s logo)

Betting:
New South Wales – $2
Victoria – $3.20
Draw - $3.50

Highest Opening Partnership
New South Wales - $1.60
Victoria - $2.25

NSW Most First Innings Runs
Katich - $4
Clarke - $4.50
Jaques - $5
Hughes - $6.50
Haddin - $7
Thorneley - $9
Lambert - $17
Casson - $34
Lee - $41

Victoria Most First Innings Runs
Hodge - $3.75
Hussey - $4
White - $5.50
Jewell - $6
Quiney - $6.50
Mash - $7
McDonald - $7
Crosthwaite - $15
McKay - $34
- TAB Sportsbet

On paper NSW should win this in a canter, but stranger things have happened. Complacency may be an issue for NSW, and the fact that none of their returning internationals have played the longer form of the game for a couple of months.

Siddle and McGain are the keys for Victoria if they are any chance of taking 20 wickets. On his day Siddle is one of the best quicks in the country, reminds me a bit of Dale Steyn. Big question marks over his shoulder injury though and how it will effect him over the five days.

Victorian batting has been the big concern all season, and given the strength of the NSW bowling lineup there will be massive pressure on Hodge and Hussey.

I feel for the NSW regulars who have done the job all season and now have to make way for the internationals. Completely understand that this needs to be done, but to miss out on the biggest game of the season after putting your team on top must be very tough.

Either Vics will win a tight one or get absolutely flogged. There will be no in between.

Wonder if our friend Edward Smith is making the trip for the game.

Not with the game being televised- he'll be plunked in front of his set, assuming the uni schedule works out.....

Really amazed there are so few posts here- shows the decline of the domestic board. In previous seasons, you'd have supporters from both sides filling the thread with comments and banter about the match.

No concerns with the Vics batting.

Hodge, DHussey and White >>>> Pup, Katich and Jacques

The key battle will be between the Rangas. Ronnie v Thornley. I think that Ron Ron may just stand up in this one.

Hopefully Victoria pick on form and leave Harwood and Mash out of the 11.

For Victoria to have any chance, one of Hussey, Hodge or White must make a century while another one gets a 50 in the first innings.

Not with the game being televised- he'll be plunked in front of his set, assuming the uni schedule works out.....

Really amazed there are so few posts here- shows the decline of the domestic board. In previous seasons, you'd have supporters from both sides filling the thread with comments and banter about the match.

Its this subboard thing they insist on having.

The match thread would be better if it was on the main board.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You'd like to think so, but I doubt it. Victorians really DO think Hodge, Hussey and White are superior to Clarke, Katich and Jaques. Scary isn't it?

I could make a case for Hodge over Katich and another that if given a chance Hussey would do more than Pup but then Jaques soundly beats White at this point in time giving the overall lead the the NSW trio

I'm going to hate Michael Clarke even more after this game. He exhumes that much cocky arrogance playing for Australia, I can only imagine how he's going to prance around playing for NSW. Hope Harwood turns that cheeky grin into a cheeky, toothless grin.

Actually i have always thought Clarke to be fairly modest.

Doesn't change the fact that he prances. A serious problem that should see him dropped:p

I could make a case for Hodge over Katich and another that if given a chance Hussey would do more than Pup but then Jaques soundly beats White at this point in time giving the overall lead the the NSW trio

You could make a case, but it would be rightly thown out, no need to waste the courts time.

You could make a case, but it would be rightly thown out, no need to waste the courts time.

Well compare Hodge at the highest level to Katich

HODGE averages 58. Hmmm very good for any cricketer bar Bradman.

KATICH averages 36... Not that great.

I assume that is the case you were talking about.

But as i already said your trio wins

It all depends on what NSW team turn up.

Brett Lee and MacGill have been known to dish out some absolute tripe whilst playing for their state. They are both the keys.

The Vics problem has been their opening batsman. Too often Hodge comes in at 1/<10 lately. Bobby and Jewell need to stand up or we are gunna get flattened by their attack. Once the ball stops moving we should be able to make some runs. The key is not being 4-for when this occurs.

Please not let Harwood play - he bowls utter rubbish and thinks he can scare batsman out. It's not Pup and Jaques i'm worried about - it's Haddin and Katich, who have played Shield cricket on this ground regularly for 5+ years.

I just hope it doesn't end up the farce it did a few years back when QLD made 9000. Can't wait to spend a few days after my own Grand Final recovering watching some good quality cricket with decent commentary for a change (although I reckon I can safely bet that Mark Waugh will actually be cheering as well as calling the game - man he hates Victoria).

Hope the Goo can show everyone what he is capable of too.

It all depends on what NSW team turn up.

Brett Lee and MacGill have been known to dish out some absolute tripe whilst playing for their state. They are both the keys.

The Vics problem has been their opening batsman. Too often Hodge comes in at 1/<10 lately. Bobby and Jewell need to stand up or we are gunna get flattened by their attack. Once the ball stops moving we should be able to make some runs. The key is not being 4-for when this occurs.

Please not let Harwood play - he bowls utter rubbish and thinks he can scare batsman out. It's not Pup and Jaques i'm worried about - it's Haddin and Katich, who have played Shield cricket on this ground regularly for 5+ years.

I just hope it doesn't end up the farce it did a few years back when QLD made 9000. Can't wait to spend a few days after my own Grand Final recovering watching some good quality cricket with decent commentary for a change (although I reckon I can safely bet that Mark Waugh will actually be cheering as well as calling the game - man he hates Victoria).

Hope the Goo can show everyone what he is capable of too.

I hope FOX do the right thing by every cricket follower and give Mark Waugh and Alan Border an all expenses paid holiday somewhere for the next 5 days. They are worse than Eddie McGuire; Mark Waugh seriously is a dead-set knob when NSW are playing..

I hope FOX do the right thing by every cricket follower and give Mark Waugh and Alan Border an all expenses paid holiday somewhere for the next 5 days. They are worse than Eddie McGuire; Mark Waugh seriously is a dead-set knob when NSW are playing..

youve just summed up every show on foxsports

Quiney is 12th man and McKay misses out. :thumbsdown:

So the side is...
Lloyd Mash
Nick Jewell
Brad Hodge
David Hussey
Cameron White
Andrew McDonald
Adam Crosthwaite
Peter Siddle
Shane Harwood
Bryce McGain
Dirk Nannes

Remove this Banner Ad

Pura Cup Final: New South Wales v Victoria @ Sydney (Sat-Wed)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back