QAFA (A) 2016 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Would like some more player movement from other clubs but all pretty quiet. ...
apparently templar staying at roosters ...
was alot of talk he was going back to alex hills..
have uou anything to report....

If a bloke is good enough, he should be playing QAFL. No club would want to hamper a kids development.

The key is to build an attractive culture so they all come back later in their careers and bring a few teammates with them
Can't argue with that Thommo, however there are clubs around around that offer $$ in one way or another that are viable options for the early 20's players that their junior clubs can't. And just because they pay players doesn't rule them out of having a great culture.. if a player leaves a club for cash or opportunity and heads to a club that also has a great playing culture (along with incentives) they often play their most influential years there and don't return...

It is hard when you lose players. we have Morningside pretty close to us and they seem to have a good knack of picking up our older juniors which sure hurts. Totally agree with you Thommo in that you want your kids playing at the highest level they can, but still surely local clubs should be able to work together a bit more for the game.
Just an idea but could Morningside send some players Wynnum's way to play in div 3 rather than forming their own Div 4 team because they have to many senior players?? have a duel registration loan type system maybe?? Not sour grapes towards Morningside, a very successful club, but just an idea??

Poaching is a poor term, attracting potential is what strong clubs do...
An individual will make an individual decision, any club has the chance to influence that decision, whether or not they have the tools to retain/attract talent is up to them..

100% agree footy 1st , clubs that sit on there hands and don't try to come up with tools and or incentive
Plans for current or potential talent will never get ahead of the pack , and will find retention hard .
Good players don't fall from the sky
Some clubs are plain lazy and will cry poor when In fact they have no one to blame but themselves for there lack of numbers and there talent pool

Poaching is a poor term, attracting potential is what strong clubs do...

some of the bullshit fed to players by clubs like Morningside and Wests is astonishing though. I would definitely call it poaching.

There is no need for a kid to move until he is good enough for seniors. Poaching 15 year olds is deplorable behaviour.

some of the bullshit fed to players by clubs like Morningside and Wests is astonishing though. I would definitely call it poaching.

There is no need for a kid to move until he is good enough for seniors. Poaching 15 year olds is deplorable behaviour.

Happens all the time though, but in general it is not driven by the club, rather by the coach of a particular team living their junior footy career vicariously through the kids and selling the dream of a premiership or an opportunity to play in a higher division. Aspley teams seem to have been masters of it at Junior level on the Northside for the last few years with kids thinking they are going to be playing at NEAFL level as 16 year olds, no doubt the Southside will also have a club that seems to be a magnet for kids chasing the dream. At least the selectors of the various rep sides in youth footy see through this and will select kids from any club or division based upon what they bring to the trial day. We just need the kids to realise this and play out their junior footy with one club before trying to further themselves with the local super club. The struggle to field a side in age groups above 14's is evident in many junior clubs as kids drift away from the sport for a myriad of reasons, losing kids to neighbouring clubs hurts even more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Happens all the time though, but in general it is not driven by the club, rather by the coach of a particular team living their junior footy career vicariously through the kids and selling the dream of a premiership or an opportunity to play in a higher division.
and if the club stands for it, it continues, ergo it's at least partly driven by the club

Happens all the time though, but in general it is not driven by the club, rather by the coach of a particular team living their junior footy career vicariously through the kids and selling the dream of a premiership or an opportunity to play in a higher division. Aspley teams seem to have been masters of it at Junior level on the Northside for the last few years with kids thinking they are going to be playing at NEAFL level as 16 year olds, no doubt the Southside will also have a club that seems to be a magnet for kids chasing the dream. At least the selectors of the various rep sides in youth footy see through this and will select kids from any club or division based upon what they bring to the trial day. We just need the kids to realise this and play out their junior footy with one club before trying to further themselves with the local super club. The struggle to field a side in age groups above 14's is evident in many junior clubs as kids drift away from the sport for a myriad of reasons, losing kids to neighbouring clubs hurts even more.
Spot on about aspley telling kids if they want to play rep footy they need to come to them. It's total BS and should not be able to get away with it. I brought this to the afls attention last year. They acknowledge it but won't do anything about it.

Clubs at the lower levels should try to form an association with a qafl club just like the Suns have with Surfers. Seems to work well for them.

Clubs at the lower levels should try to form an association with a qafl club just like the Suns have with Surfers. Seems to work well for them.

Works good currently because it is one way traffic. How many players have gone from Suns to Surfers?

Wait until Suns finally have youth teams and start losing home grown talent, that's when it hurts TT.

At presents Suns only gain in any sort of deal I would think.

Agree totally Left Feet. It is even worse this year as the Brisbane Juniors in their wisdom are offering every age group. Therefore the days of having one year in an age group as say a 15 year old playing U16's being a first year player and then the following year being a second year player or a 16 year old are over.

So clubs that can't field every age group lose kids as parents want them playing their right age every year so 15 year old playing U15's. We have lost a heap of kids due to this fact this year.

We have also lost a lot of our best kids to the promised land of QAFL and MtGravatt & Sherwood at ages 14-16, which cripples your junior club.

I can't see it ever changing as parents get ahead of themselves where their kid is at and as you said we have Leigh Mathews type coaches in U14's -U16's in Brisbane, that are also well ahead of themselves.

Loyalty is become more and more of a non event in current generation of kids and their parents.

Works good currently because it is one way traffic. How many players have gone from Suns to Surfers?

Wait until Suns finally have youth teams and start losing home grown talent, that's when it hurts TT.

At presents Suns only gain in any sort of deal I would think.
Agree with you that losing home grown talent hurts but at least the Suns will be getting something in return when their juniors evolve and that's got to be better than getting nothing.

Agree with you that losing home grown talent hurts but at least the Suns will be getting something in return when their juniors evolve and that's got to be better than getting nothing.
3 seasons back in the u18 State League GF there was 20 players playing between both teams whom started their junior days at either Beenleigh or Logan. Loosing good kids to better standard clubs will always happen. As for the Suns Surfers arrangement its gold for the Suns and looks likely to be a long term arrangement for a few more years. The Suns would struggle without it, as would the Pirates without their Springwood network I'm tipping.

I

if they are losing players so easily then they need incentives to keep these good players...

Why are Carrara losing players so easily ? I'm new to the Gold Coast and played all of my footy around Melbourne and Geelong and Carrara does seem an attractive club to me but is there something behind closed doors I'm not seeing would I be better off joining someone else ?

Why are Carrara losing players so easily ? I'm new to the Gold Coast and played all of my footy around Melbourne and Geelong and Carrara does seem an attractive club to me but is there something behind closed doors I'm not seeing would I be better off joining someone else ?

Yes - in that same area you cant go past Bond Uni / Robina

3 seasons back in the u18 State League GF there was 20 players playing between both teams whom started their junior days at either Beenleigh or Logan. Loosing good kids to better standard clubs will always happen. As for the Suns Surfers arrangement its gold for the Suns and looks likely to be a long term arrangement for a few more years. The Suns would struggle without it, as would the Pirates without their Springwood network I'm tipping.

Was that the Mt Gravatt vs Southport grand final you are referring to Karma?

And just for the record ours is a two way street with Springwood as we have lost 6-8 kids to Springwood U18's in last 2 years.

But like every club Karma they all come and go. It really gets down to how much players enjoy their environment as to whether they come back.

I would say since we have got a bit more serious as a club with the senior footy we would have lost 60 players from our list that played under the Calamvale banner. It is a lot in 2 years but some players liked just to have a kick and not train which was fine under the previous Calamvale way of things, but we have ambition as a club to go onto higher division so that just don't cut it with us at present. That's not to say that was wrong but I think the standard of footy has gone up a cog in this div since we joined. Or at least feels that way.

Looks like kedron have picked up a few quality players. With some coming back after a year off and a few from other clubs.
Lucky enough haven't really lost anyone from last year. A couple moved away but that's about it.
Looking forward to see what the step up in division holds for them.
Looks like the decision to drop back last year and not forfit games was the right one.
On another note sources tell me the afl are keen to throw money at women's footy ATM.
This is an area that they believe is where the most growth is.
Let's hope it doesn't come at the expense of Grass roots footy but only time will tell I suppose.

Remove this Banner Ad

QAFA (A) 2016 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back