QAFA (A) 2016 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Mate I'm just concerned that putting all your resources into something that will not in my opinion give you back a dollar return is a huge risk.
I have nothing against women's football but it will never attract the numbers and talant that is needed to take it to where they think it will go.
Agree that money and effort should be put into juniors and grassroots footy.
Just hated hearing that afl would help out if a women's team was at the club. But if not your on your own.
Pretty poor really and my question is why would that attitude be supported.
Correct me if I'm wrong but juniors and men's seniors pay a lot of money to afl. Wonder what the % is for women's footy.
There is an old saying that you should never take out more than you put in.
Otherwise those who pay your way will revolt.
The unfortunate truth is that the push for women's footy comes from the AFL itself and they aren't likely to change their views in the foreseeable future. I don't care too much for women's footy but I think clubs who embrace it are probably going to look pretty smart in 5-10 years time

Some clubs went to great lengths to get a women's team up a few years back. Then despite all the effort, the women's team had to forfeit a match and the club got a fine worth 4 figures...

Then when they stated that such a fine is counter intuitive to trying to get a women's team up, they get threatened to play for 0 points in QAFL until fine is paid. ..

Fine paid, women's team canned and they wonder why? ??!

Some clubs went to great lengths to get a women's team up a few years back. Then despite all the effort, the women's team had to forfeit a match and the club got a fine worth 4 figures...

Then when they stated that such a fine is counter intuitive to trying to get a women's team up, they get threatened to play for 0 points in QAFL until fine is paid. ..

Yeah, that's poor management from AFLQ. This latest push for women's footy really got going last year and I reckon this time it's here to stay. Already taking off in vic.

Would like some more player movement from other clubs but all pretty quiet. ...
apparently templar staying at roosters ...
was alot of talk he was going back to alex hills..
have uou anything to report....

The grapevine up here is yelling that Templar and 1 or 2 others heading back to Alex Hills......... and I know it's beeen denied here but the roosters are in a world of hurt in having 2 teams. If they do the mail is lock in the 2's for the spoon and the 1's may miss finals

The grapevine up here is yelling that Templar and 1 or 2 others heading back to Alex Hills......... and I know it's beeen denied here but the roosters are in a world of hurt in having 2 teams. If they do the mail is lock in the 2's for the spoon and the 1's may miss finals

Just got news that Maroochydore have pulled out of preseason competition and Wynnum are now in as their replacement .

Means Pirates now play Nambour at Wynnum on 5th March rather than a trip up the coast. Wynnum now play Caloundra in the later game on same day.

Saves us a nice trip.

When you forfeit at the last minute without notice it doesn't win you any favours. Also highly suspicious of a club that "attracts" talent then tries to weasel out of paying bills.

Just got news that Maroochydore have pulled out of preseason competition and Wynnum are now in as their replacement .

Means Pirates now play Nambour at Wynnum on 5th March rather than a trip up the coast. Wynnum now play Caloundra in the later game on same day.

Saves us a nice trip.
Interesting bc Maroochydore had "pulled out" weeks ago. Not sure why that news has just filtered through from aflq headquarters?

My club has never had a women's team.

But no, i have zero interest in womens footy.
So why are you pissing and moaning about another club getting a fine? Western suburbs didn't do their due diligence, put every other club out of joint and then got a fine for what was undoubtedly shitty behaviour from a club big enough to know better. Had Western Suburbs ever bothered to do what a reasonably run club would do in the first place the shitstorm would have been avoided.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apparently Sandgate beat Kedron by 150 points on the weekend. Anyone get to see the game.

Is there that big a gap between QAFL and QAFA A?
Yes.

That's a bottom rung QAFL side against a probable top rung QAFA A side. The gap is significant.

Consider this, Sandgate were spooners in 2015 including multiple 100 point beltings and aven giving up close to 50 shots on goal one week in a 150 point loss.

Kedron were undefeated premiers.

Gap is enormous!

My info is that kedron were well undermanned with six bloke's doubling up from the twos. But the difference from qafl standard is massive. The fitness and skill level is across the board in higher levels. You can get away carrying a few in this level but in qafl it will stand out like dog balls.
Having to play at that standard week in week out would ruin a fair few bloke's at this level.

Agree.

There are some QAFL ability players playing in QAFA A and QAFA B, but having 3, 4 or even 10 of them won't help you against a team with 22 quality contributors across the park.

the gap just between QAFL and QAFL Reserves is bloody enormous.

In these lower divisions, having 5 or 6 guns can win you a game, ore even a competition, but at the higher levels - you can't have passengers.

Agree.

There are some QAFL ability players playing in QAFA A and QAFA B, but having 3, 4 or even 10 of them won't help you against a team with 22 quality contributors across the park.

the gap just between QAFL and QAFL Reserves is bloody enormous.

In these lower divisions, having 5 or 6 guns can win you a game, ore even a competition, but at the higher levels - you can't have passengers.

Gap may get bigger with lot of clubs struggling for players in our comp.

Big rumours afoot that 2 clubs in our comp may not make it to starting line.

Not sure if anyone can shed light on current position of Chooks & Saints?

Would be a tragedy to the comp if this true?

I said last year some clubs will struggle to get the numbers required. It's going to happen more often.
This leaves clubs with no option to drop back to one team. It will continue to be a problem every year.
Then its a huge job to get 20 odd bloke's for the year after.
I think there needs to be two groups of one team clubs. Those who want Friday nite and those who want Saturday footy.
In my opinion it is inevitable that this will happen.
It's the only way some local footy clubs can survive.
Look at what's around kedron area.
Mayne sandgate ferny Grove wilston Grange aspley zillmere kedron. Then close by you have cooparoo yeronga mornigside Kenmore Sherwood uq redclffie swans.
Probably forgot a few.
With some of these clubs fielding three teams.
That's a shit load of players in a small area
In time you will see one team clubs playing at 2pm and women's playing before.
Just a thought but I'm sure the aflq have put this on the table for discussion.
These are just opinions of an old bloke who has seen the rise and fall of many clubs of the last 40 years.
Something to think about.

Well it seems some handy players leaving the chook pen ......... Templar to be added to this list soon.

Source Dest. Player Name Result
Griffith Moorooka AFC Alexandra Hills AFC Rusby, Craig Pending
Griffith Moorooka AFC Far North Football League Down, Matthew Pending
Griffith Moorooka AFC Park Ridge AFC Fryer, Mitchell Approved
Griffith Moorooka AFC Park Ridge AFC Grainger, Jordie Approved
Griffith Moorooka AFC Park Ridge AFC Ling, Daniel Denied
Griffith Moorooka AFC Park Ridge AFC Pearson, Nicholas Approved
Griffith Moorooka AFC Park Ridge AFC Pearson, Rhys Denied
Griffith Moorooka AFC Park Ridge AFC Valdes, Luke Denied
Griffith Moorooka AFC Park Ridge AFC Vasterink, Justin Pending
Griffith Moorooka AFC Park Ridge AFC Watts, Brian Pending
Griffith Moorooka AFC Robina AFC Parker, Jay Approved
Griffith Moorooka AFC Robina AFC Pearce, Matthew Approved
Griffith Moorooka AFC Robina AFC Pearson, Tim Pending

Well it seems some handy players leaving the chook pen ......... Templar to be added to this list soon.

Source Dest. Player Name Result
Griffith Moorooka AFC Alexandra Hills AFC Rusby, Craig Pending
Griffith Moorooka AFC Far North Football League Down, Matthew Pending
Griffith Moorooka AFC Park Ridge AFC Fryer, Mitchell Approved
Griffith Moorooka AFC Park Ridge AFC Grainger, Jordie Approved
Griffith Moorooka AFC Park Ridge AFC Ling, Daniel Denied
Griffith Moorooka AFC Park Ridge AFC Pearson, Nicholas Approved
Griffith Moorooka AFC Park Ridge AFC Pearson, Rhys Denied
Griffith Moorooka AFC Park Ridge AFC Valdes, Luke Denied
Griffith Moorooka AFC Park Ridge AFC Vasterink, Justin Pending
Griffith Moorooka AFC Park Ridge AFC Watts, Brian Pending
Griffith Moorooka AFC Robina AFC Parker, Jay Approved
Griffith Moorooka AFC Robina AFC Pearce, Matthew Approved
Griffith Moorooka AFC Robina AFC Pearson, Tim Pending

Some quality there Blocker, now I can see why all the love on the forum is for the Pirates, The end of season trip might be a month later this year with those quality inclusions.

Remove this Banner Ad

QAFA (A) 2016 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back