QAFL 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

listen to all these hangers on talking about their cult.

No doubt the GC Clubs spend big, but Morningside have been pillaging local clubs and getting blokes from the Western District in Victoria since Jesus played fullback for Jerusalem. Some of the promises they make to 14 year old kids to lure them from Coorparoo and wynnum etc are disgraceful. I'm sure every QAFL club is guilty of similar, but not as extensively.

took forward to Tom Cruise and his mates, jumping in :)

No arguement there QAFL but not sure you are talking cheque book when talking 14yr olds... A NEAFL footy club promised the world to every kid in the Lions Academy of U16 age this year to come down / across.
Had a guy tell me on the weekend that in SA (Adelaide specifically), you must play in your postcode up until U18 age. Quite liked the idea. Sort of zoning. Stops egos getting in the road as well or false sense of a particular club being a much better place to play than somewhere else.
I think it would work - certainly on the SC it would spread the love a bit more and not have clubs more or less going out of existence at junior level as you would not have kids travelling from palmwoods to play for Maroochy/Caloundra.

No arguement there QAFL but not sure you are talking cheque book when talking 14yr olds... A NEAFL footy club promised the world to every kid in the Lions Academy of U16 age this year to come down / across.
Had a guy tell me on the weekend that in SA (Adelaide specifically), you must play in your postcode up until U18 age. Quite liked the idea. Sort of zoning. Stops egos getting in the road as well or false sense of a particular club being a much better place to play than somewhere else.
I think it would work - certainly on the SC it would spread the love a bit more and not have clubs more or less going out of existence at junior level as you would not have kids travelling from palmwoods to play for Maroochy/Caloundra.

I've seen kids lured to that club for years, but it didn't help any that the Sunny Coast couldn't enter a team in the Brissy comp this year. The lads you speak of strive to play at the highest level attainable at the moment, a couple have come our way also. If it means they have to travel an hour or more to do so then so be it, they see it as the only way their footy will improve by playing in the strongest possible competition. My point is, it doesn't sound so much as club driven in this instance, but rather a individual player development thing.

So for that type of thing a postcode restriction wouldn't work. A kid dominating in a poor division each week is not going to get the personal devolpment required come time to play at a higher standard, they need to be challenged to learn and grow as a footballer. If they want to stay with mates or maintain club loyalty, then that's fine too, but they may do so at their own peril.

Considering it's only just come in down here, it's a bit presumptuous to suggest it works yet. It still doesn't address the issue of richer clubs paying more than the poorer clubs or clubs preying on juniors.
How's it working in your league? In Geelong across all 3 leagues the combination of points and salary cap is starting to level out all the comps. Instead of it being a top 2/3 and the bottom 3 getting spanked by 200 a week, it's now a top 6/7 fighting it out and the bottom ones are making inroads and making them work for there 50/60 pt wins. It could work up there.

I've seen kids lured to that club for years, but it didn't help any that the Sunny Coast couldn't enter a team in the Brissy comp this year. The lads you speak of strive to play at the highest level attainable at the moment, a couple have come our way also. If it means they have to travel an hour or more to do so then so be it, they see it as the only way their footy will improve by playing in the strongest possible competition. My point is, it doesn't sound so much as club driven in this instance, but rather a individual player development thing.

So for that type of thing a postcode restriction wouldn't work. A kid dominating in a poor division each week is not going to get the personal devolpment required come time to play at a higher standard, they need to be challenged to learn and grow as a footballer. If they want to stay with mates or maintain club loyalty, then that's fine too, but they may do so at their own peril.

No that's true 2LF - and I imagine you are sandgate fc too bc I know a couple went there. My point is that there isn't 4 teams in an U17 age group if boys aren't moving to a handful of clubs at age 13. There are a whole lot of boys at u17 level playing Colts footy on the Coast too - I would argue that they are getting a pretty good level of footy without needing to play U17 footy in Brisbane + there is a lot of skill development you can do in the travel time it takes to get to either Aspley or Sandgate...

Bottom line is playing in your region is nearly always a far better option than travelling 4hrs to train and play every week unless it is a rep team you are doing it for. (imo)

How's it working in your league? In Geelong across all 3 leagues the combination of points and salary cap is starting to level out all the comps. Instead of it being a top 2/3 and the bottom 3 getting spanked by 200 a week, it's now a top 6/7 fighting it out and the bottom ones are making inroads and making them work for there 50/60 pt wins. It could work up there.
There's 4 divisions in efl and across all 4 the pattern is the same, 2/3 standouts and then the rest and it's the same old teams at the top but I think it needs more time to play out. How does the salary cap work in your league and how is it policed?

There's 4 divisions in efl and across all 4 the pattern is the same, 2/3 standouts and then the rest and it's the same old teams at the top but I think it needs more time to play out. How does the salary cap work in your league and how is it policed?
Doncaster might be a big chance of playing finals this year coming from second division last year

Gdfl gets 80000. BFL 100000 and Gfl gets 120000. There pretty onto it down here. Afl Barwon look into everything including players flying in, accomodation, fuel, and other little perks that can help players out. Would be interesting to see if aflq would bring something like that in for qafl and or maybe nth/south comps. How it's policed would be different but.
Considering all of the ex afl players playing there, they'd want to make finals.
They are worth 6 points arnt they? (They are down here)

Gdfl gets 80000. BFL 100000 and Gfl gets 120000. There pretty onto it down here. Afl Barwon look into everything including players flying in, accomodation, fuel, and other little perks that can help players out. Would be interesting to see if aflq would bring something like that in for qafl and or maybe nth/south comps. How it's policed would be different but.

They are worth 6 points arnt they? (They are down here)
6 points each and there's 5 of them on their list, I believe.
Sounds like those leagues are all over it and well organised. Not sure we could use those words to describe aflq. Maybe if the afl sent an expert up there to oversee the implementation of the system for 12 months, it could work.

As someone pointed out , it isn't always the money that attracts people to certain clubs, it is the history and reputation of that club.

A club known for winning will attract other winners. Still takes some good coaches to make those players work together as a team of course.

No easy fix to the community football lure of wanting to play with the best. AS been stated it al lstarts at junior level, players are enticed by friends, parents, clubs to go join certain clubs, leaving one club and moving to another that has multiple teams in same age bracket and causing the other clubs to struggle with numbers.

Probably not fair to restrict kids from moving to the club of their choose. But probably also not fair to force some clubs to struggle.

So if one day they fix the junior club drain, perhaps limit clubs to max 2 teams per age group in youth football. Then they could limit the seniors club to recruiting from their own juniors. Maybe... But probably no perfect solution and always an exception to any rule brought in

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nathan Clarke, its on the Magpies website. I've had a bit to do with Clarkey in the past - he is a good get.

Strange timing after a season defining win though!

I just read the website story.

Current guy takes them from 14th to 2nd in a year, they are 3-3 now and he gets the the boot? That is tough!

Maybe he really did resign?

Nathan Clarke, its on the Magpies website. I've had a bit to do with Clarkey in the past - he is a good get.

Strange timing after a season defining win though!
Sounds like they had him lined up already.....

I don't get the sacking of coaches at this level half way through a season. Players unhappy maybe? Or committee

Remove this Banner Ad

QAFL 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Back