QAFL 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Geez Stuyd

You have cats finishing that low? And surfers that high? Interesting.

For mine:

Palmy
Broady
Lab
MtG
Morningside
————————
Surfers
Magpies
Grange
Sandgate

Premier,
only joking with that ladder ,,, was waiting to see fellow posters bite !!!
Ok now I will get real and heres my ladder prediction.

Palm Beach
Broadbeach
Magpies
Labrador
Surfers
Mount Gravatt
Morningside
Grange
Sandgate

Certainly a tough prediction from 2nd to 7th. !!!!

Premier,

Palm Beach
Broadbeach
Magpies
Labrador
Surfers
Mount Gravatt
Morningside
Grange
Sandgate

Possibly Morningside may well finish higher then my predicted ladder.

Palmy
Broadbeach
Morningside
Magpies
Surfers
Labrador
Mt Gravatt
Sandgate
Grange

I can see Sandgate finishing ahead of Grange, last I heard Grange were training at Nundah State School with a concrete pitch in the middle because Hickey Park
is being redeveloped for Women's football !

Palmy
Broadbeach
Morningside
Magpies
Surfers
Labrador
Mt Gravatt
Sandgate
Grange

I can see Sandgate finishing ahead of Grange, last I heard Grange were training at Nundah State School with a concrete pitch in the middle because Hickey Park
is being redeveloped for Women's football !

Also heard the Grange ground was condemned and are trying to get it fixed for a women's game and the players were training wherever they can find a space under a street light. Can't imagine the players being too keen to run under those conditions.

Not quite.

The Lions AFLW team is playing a fixture at Grange on 17 February, the AFL and BCC have put a small fortune into improving the surface of the ground so that it complies with AFL standards, which is why Grange teams have been training elsewhere over the summer - they get back on the ground on 18 February.

Plenty of other improvements happening around Hickey Park as well, which will make it easily the best QAFL footy venue in Brisbane from both a playing and spectating perspective (not that this a huge accomplishment).

The Lions are expecting a crowd of 4-5k next Sunday, with the game being broadcast nationally on 7 and Foxtel.

All being well, Grange will host 2 x AFLW games plus a Lions JLT game next year,which is pretty good for a condemned ground.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Since 2018 Grange has had access to the fairly large car park at Tile City adjoining the ground, which helps a lot on match days, but parking spaces are certainly a challenge for all inner-city clubs.

Parking for games at Morningside and Mt Gravatt is never easy, Sandgate at least has the oval over the back.

A second ground for the juniors to train and play at would be the greatest bonus of all, but we can't all be as lucky as Aspley.

Grange has always been a nice venue with a good setting and natural elevation from which to watch footy.

The surface looks to be coming up a treat too. Surely thats ok to be training on a few times a week for at least your QAFL squad?

I hear that its the Magpies oval thats struggling, supposed to be this fancy new surface they were spruiking on social media, now gone completely quiet and training all over the shop. If you go past their ground, temp fencing still up, covered in weeds and random slabs of turf dumped on their oval. Not even any goalposts.

Sandgate done any recruiting?

The problem for Grange has been that the AFL/Lions have had control of our ground in preparation for the AFLW game since about November, which has involved them and the BCC putting in a lot of work and money to improve the surface, so our guys haven't been allowed to train on it and won't be training there until the week after next.

So we've traded that training time over summer for a much better surface than we could ever have financed ourselves, the profits from catering etc which the big crowd for the AFLW game should produce and the prospect of hosting 2 AFLW games and a JLT game for the Lions next year.

We think it's been a trade worth doing, and hopefully the work done on the ground this summer will mean that we'll be training on a great deck at Hickey Park next summer.

Despite the interruptions the Grange seniors have trained well, they're looking fit and happy to be flying under the radar for a bit longer.

Broardbeach
Palm Beach
Morningside
Magpies
Surfers

Labrador
Grange
Mt Gravatt
Sandgate

First (elimination) final
Magpies vs Surfers (Surfers)

Second final
Morningside vs Palm Beach (Morningside)

Second (elimination) final
Palm Beach vs Surfers (Palm Beach)

Third final prelim
Broardbeach vs Morningside (Morningside)

Forth final
Broardbeach vs Palm Beach (Palm beach)

Grandfinal
MORNINGSIDE VS PALMBEACH
Pick your own scoreline...

The problem for Grange has been that the AFL/Lions have had control of our ground in preparation for the AFLW game since about November, which has involved them and the BCC putting in a lot of work and money to improve the surface, so our guys haven't been allowed to train on it and won't be training there until the week after next.

So we've traded that training time over summer for a much better surface than we could ever have financed ourselves, the profits from catering etc which the big crowd for the AFLW game should produce and the prospect of hosting 2 AFLW games and a JLT game for the Lions next year.

We think it's been a trade worth doing, and hopefully the work done on the ground this summer will mean that we'll be training on a great deck at Hickey Park next summer.

Despite the interruptions the Grange seniors have trained well, they're looking fit and happy to be flying under the radar for a bit longer.

Thats good news and good business sense.

sounds like a great plan to me. When you say the AFL though, do you mean AFLQ, or the big dogs from the AFL?

Just that we haven't had a whole deal of luck with our field when AFLQ involved over the years, despite having pumped both plenty of our own funds, as well as grant funds into it in the last 5 years alone.

Like many clubs, we're bursting at the seams, having only 1 main oval and a half sized junior oval. The club literally can't grow any more than it has now, as the field can't sustain the usage.

2 ovals is an absolute must for any new facility in the future.

sounds like a great plan to me. When you say the AFL though, do you mean AFLQ, or the big dogs from the AFL?

Just that we haven't had a whole deal of luck with our field when AFLQ involved over the years, despite having pumped both plenty of our own funds, as well as grant funds into it in the last 5 years alone.

Like many clubs, we're bursting at the seams, having only 1 main oval and a half sized junior oval. The club literally can't grow any more than it has now, as the field can't sustain the usage.

2 ovals is an absolute must for any new facility in the future.

Hey Thommo, I think you’ve answered your own question.😉

You don’t really think that the AFLQ could get shit like this done quickly and to a high standard, do you?

Rightly or wrongly the AFL will throw money at anything to do with the AFLW, and with the game being broadcast nationally they want to make sure that the ground meets its usual standards. The BCC wanted a share of the credit as this is the first AFLW game held within its borders, so they also threw in some decent dollars.

Grange just happened to be in the right place at the right time, so far it’s worked out well for us.

Pity we’ll never be able to leverage another field out of the exercise though!

Premier,

Palm Beach
Broadbeach
Magpies
Labrador
Surfers
Mount Gravatt
Morningside
Grange
Sandgate

Ok ,, had a meeting with morningside today ( sponsorship wise ),,, and in general chat about player list I now amend my ladder prediction/
Palm Beach
Broady
Magpies
Morningside
Labrador
Surfers
Vultures
Grange
Sandgate

Don’t think hawks have recruited big names but plenty of good youth. Made inroads last year without changing position on ladder but think they might slip up a few rungs. No idea why. Not sure Mounties will be top 4

Hey Thommo, I think you’ve answered your own question.😉

You don’t really think that the AFLQ could get shit like this done quickly and to a high standard, do you?

Rightly or wrongly the AFL will throw money at anything to do with the AFLW, and with the game being broadcast nationally they want to make sure that the ground meets its usual standards. The BCC wanted a share of the credit as this is the first AFLW game held within its borders, so they also threw in some decent dollars.

Grange just happened to be in the right place at the right time, so far it’s worked out well for us.

Pity we’ll never be able to leverage another field out of the exercise though!

Hey Judge if I was cynical I would consider who runs AFLQ and where he used to play, and his sons currently play, and then wonder who decided grange was the ‘right place’. I would’ve thought Brendale and Burpengary being north side that maybe somewhere closer in or south/east/west might’ve been more appropriate.
BUT I’m not cynical so I trust the decision has been made in the interests of afl in Brisbane.
Space for multiple grounds is an issue everywhere, it’s a good sign of growth in the game.

My ladder FWIW:

Palmy
Labrador
Morningside
Magpies
Broady

Mounties
Surfers
Grange
Sandgate

It’s really throwing darts at this time of year though.

Remove this Banner Ad

QAFL 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Back