Qafl 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Tips for tomorow.

Surfers by 18 in the seniors
Palmy by 10 in the 2s
Grange by 1 in the colts
Hard to argue against any of those tips Dezario.
However of interest in the seniors prior to last weeks semi Morningside was the last side to beat Surfers, and it was at Surfers too. They'll make sure it isn't a shoot out.
Does Jewel come.back in? Mollison and Hodge are pretty dominant and could be a real factor if it becomes a contested game with a lot of stoppages. Plus there are a few experienced heads in Joyce & Howard so it'll be a great contest.
Surfers have had a no nonsense style for a couple of years but this year fewer lapses. I think they have a few success hungry players too so they should get the job done with a home ground advantage

Interesting to see the outcome of Brody Haberfields bump in the second quarter. He was reported by the field umpire.

Looked worse than Burges from last week. Will be a busy week at the tribunal

Haberfield had no eyes for the ball, ran past the ball at high speed and shirtfronts Mallan with serious impact as he tries to get the ball, head high most likely but either way high level of impact. Mallan is a tough nut and gets up, a bit rattled but seems OK. And Haberfield put on immediate report by the umpire.

This type of contact is what the AFL is trying to get rid of. So lets see what happens here. By the AFLQ rules he should be offered either a 1 or 2 match suspension at the end of the game. Should be INTENTIONAL-MEDIUM-HIGH at minimum. So 2 weeks set penalty.

Note the last line Note – These are proposed base level impact guidelines. The impact can be raised under the potential to cause serious injury.

Clearly there was potential here for quite serious injury so should probably be 2 or maybe straight to tribunal. At least 1 week should be a given

Attachments

• Set-Penalty-Guide.pdf
    162.3 KB · Views: 85
Haberfield had no eyes for the ball, ran past the ball at high speed and shirtfronts Mallan with serious impact as he tries to get the ball, head high most likely but either way high level of impact. Mallan is a tough nut and gets up, a bit rattled but seems OK. And Haberfield put on immediate report by the umpire.

This type of contact is what the AFL is trying to get rid of. So lets see what happens here. By the AFLQ rules he should be offered either a 1 or 2 match suspension at the end of the game. Should be INTENTIONAL-MEDIUM-HIGH at minimum. So 2 weeks set penalty.

Note the last line Note – These are proposed base level impact guidelines. The impact can be raised under the potential to cause serious injury.

Clearly there was potential here for quite serious injury so should probably be 2 or maybe straight to tribunal. At least 1 week should be a given
Absolute rubbish Gents
He’ll be fine
A touch nervous?

Thought it was a great hit but if they are dishing out 3 week penalties for stuff less than that I reckon he will be in strife.

Congrats the Surfers on making the grand final. Great reward for a couple of seasons where they have been building nicely.

And no, not nervous

Haha I could do some digging. Pretty sure he is easy to find. I personally wouldn’t have the funds available.

You could argue the bigger ground would suit surfers but don’t think it will matter on gf day. It’s all about the pressure applied and composure.

Hard to argue against any of those tips Dezario.
However of interest in the seniors prior to last weeks semi Morningside was the last side to beat Surfers, and it was at Surfers too. They'll make sure it isn't a shoot out.
Does Jewel come.back in? Mollison and Hodge are pretty dominant and could be a real factor if it becomes a contested game with a lot of stoppages. Plus there are a few experienced heads in Joyce & Howard so it'll be a great contest.
Surfers have had a no nonsense style for a couple of years but this year fewer lapses. I think they have a few success hungry players too so they should get the job done with a home ground advantage
Interesting to see the outcome of Brody Haberfields bump in the second quarter. He was reported by the field umpire.

Looked worse than Burges from last week. Will be a busy week at the tribunal

If Surfers get Palmy to represent them then they’d get Brody off a murder charge.

Geez your a tad hypocritical, 2 of your players have gotten off when they should’ve been given the electric chair

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So first you want to compare a bump where Jewell stumbling and off balance runs into Burge and that the tribunal has ruled that Burge had no other alternative but to brace and protect himself with some Barry Hall and Dermot Brereton action.

And then you want to give him the electric chair??

It’s great that you arent exaggerating at all, otherwise noone would pay any attention to you.

So first you want to compare a bump where Jewell stumbling and off balance runs into Burge and that the tribunal has ruled that Burge had no other alternative but to brace and protect himself with some Barry Hall and Dermot Brereton action.

And then you want to give him the electric chair??

It’s great that you arent exaggerating at all, otherwise noone would pay any attention to you.
What quarter and time?

2nd. Think about 4 mins in
Big collision. As I mentioned a few days ago, no nonsense footy from Haberfield. From a neutral view what I see is:
1/ The ball had not passed Haberfield at the point of collision. i.e. he hasn't run past the ball.
2/ He chooses to bump, but to be honest he can't tackle because Mallon hasn't taken possession.
3/ I'm not convinced he is hit high at the impact stuns a less prepared opponent and his head hits the ground hard behind him.
4/ As mentioned earlier Mallon gets up and takes his kick - and kudos to him
Comparisons to Burge can't be made because there is no doubt contact is high. For Burge the player is concussed and misses the following week. Not sure Haberfield will get weeks. You'd hope common sense prevails. However I can vouch for the fact it sometimes doesn't.

Big collision. As I mentioned a few days ago, no nonsense footy from Haberfield. From a neutral view what I see is:
1/ The ball had not passed Haberfield at the point of collision. i.e. he hasn't run past the ball.
2/ He chooses to bump, but to be honest he can't tackle because Mallon hasn't taken possession.
3/ I'm not convinced he is hit high at the impact stuns a less prepared opponent and his head hits the ground hard behind him.
Comparisons to Burge can't be made because there is no doubt contact is high. For Burge the player is concussed and misses the following week. Not sure Haberfield will get weeks. You'd hope common sense prevails. However I can vouch for the fact it sometimes doesn't.

I reckon if Haberfield misses the Granny after Burge getting off Surfers members will burn Metricon down!

Jack Anthony would be preying Haberfield gets rubbed out cos he is the only defender that has his measure and Surfers need to keep Anthony to 5 goals or less to have a chance, couldn’t see Surfers winning if Anthony kicks a big bag

I reckon if Haberfield misses the Granny after Burge getting off Surfers members will burn Metricon down!

Jack Anthony would be preying Haberfield gets rubbed out cos he is the only defender that has his measure and Surfers need to keep Anthony to 5 goals or less to have a chance, couldn’t see Surfers winning if Anthony kicks a big bag
I hate to say it but I think you'll find that when the dust settles Burge won't be playing as AFLQ will press hard to overturn the decision

Think in this day and age I don’t think it’s a bad idea for a “player code” to come to the fore that ensures players don’t milk contact in an attempt to pull a free or worse. Not saying for an instant that anyone has done this in the recent incidents but think players need to be fair to each other bc like lagging has said the penalty is a lot worse if the aggrieved player all of a sudden reckons he has a glass jaw. Happening a bit at the top level and it’s a poor look.

1/ The ball had not passed Haberfield at the point of collision. i.e. he hasn't run past the ball. Disagree with this. But not the sole determining factor so whatever. He clearly has eyes for the opponent well before contact and never looks at the ball.

2/ He chooses to bump, but to be honest he can't tackle because Mallon hasn't taken possession. His option here was to attack the footy himself

3/ I'm not convinced he is hit high at the impact stuns a less prepared opponent and his head hits the ground hard behind him. Not fully conclusive from the video that the contact is to the head but it is up high around the chest and neck region at a minimum. Refer to the set penalty matrix. It doesn't have to actually be contact with head to be seen as high contact. The issue is there is potential for serious injury in this action regardless. The umpire reporting this immediately is testament to this. The charge would be per 19.2.2 (a) (vii) bumping or forceful contact to an opponent front on. https://www.aflq.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/Set-Penalty-Guide.pdf

4/ As mentioned earlier Mallon gets up and takes his kick - and kudos to him Tough Cookie, very fortunate for Haberfield that he is such a tough nugget.

Comparisons to Burge can't be made because there is no doubt contact is high. For Burge the player is concussed and misses the following week. The Burge incident is completely different and is being judged solely on the injury outcome rather than the intention or action itself.

Not sure Haberfield will get weeks. You'd hope common sense prevails. However I can vouch for the fact it sometimes doesn't. Common sense? (generally doesn't come into it)

The test is on for AFLQ today. With Haberfield reported, the MRP will review today and should be informing him of a set penalty. Should be 2 weeks, maybe reduced to 1. Could actually be judged as 3 depending on the viewpoint of the MRP. Do they want to remove actions like this from the game or is it just lip service?

Before you respond to this, consider what your position would be if Mallan had been concussed or suffered serious injury.

Intention and action should be proven before injury is taken into account. Only then, if an action or charge is proven, should the level of injury should be assessed and penalties set accordingly.

No player should ever have to take responsibility for injury caused for accidental or incidental contact. If the game continues down this path it will be a non contact sport in the not too distant future.

Re: Burge - So MRP views the incident, puts it on report and then offers a set penalty. Burge elects to take to tribunal which is his absolute right to do and no big deal. Players and clubs take decisions to tribunal regularly. Nothing to see here so far. All standard stuff.

The tribunal, with experienced panel members, chosen for their skillsets and experience by AFLQ, hear all the evidence including the field umpire closest who gives evidence in favour of Burge (ie the umpire believes he had no alternative course of action and he didn't feel that even a free kick was warranted) and lets be clear here that no medical evidence was even presented that Jewell was actually diagnosed with concussion (so this cannot be taken into account).

Considering these facts and other testimony the tribunal clears Burge of charge due to the explanation that he had no other alternative course of action and matter should be finalised.

But AFLQ appeal the decision of their own tribunal?? Citing that no reasonable tribunal could come to this decision in light of the evidence presented. Bit of a whack for the panel members hey?? and for their umpire?? Does this question the panel's judgement also in previous hearings??

Surfers Paradise has no right of appeal on this decision as per the rules, but lodge complaints from the club and Jewell's parents to the AFLQ. The league doesn't have the spine just to say the matter has been referred and heard and the outcome is final. And this is all due to injury outcome rather than the action itself. An injury which hasn't even actually been diagnosed by a medical practitioner!

Where is the justice in this?

Personally, I don't think it matters one way or the other if Burge or Haberfield play or don't play. There is no doubt surfers have improved greatly and deserve their spot in the GF and will likely take the game right up to the Lions. But the Lions should win this in any case.

And there is no comparison between this and prev Derrick appeal. That appeal was an appeal based on the severity of sentence due to an exemplary clean record as a player (this is the case with Derrick but plenty of other players would not be able to make that case) and the correct decision was made. Broadbeach should never have been allowed to appeal the appeal but there was no actual rule saying they couldn't. I believe this is now changed.

The league challenging a tribunal decision made by their own tribunal is unprecedented and outrageous. They are opening a can of worms here. How many times in your own personal experiences have you or your clubs disagreed with a tribunal decision. The clubs don't have a right of appeal in this regard ever but the league does??

Remove this Banner Ad

Qafl 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Back