Qafl 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Jason Burge got 3 weeks I hear and appealing it, repeat of the last year when Palmy threatened to take league to High court to get their Captain off, which they did, and available for the Granny after he nearly killed a Broady player from a sling tackle.
The video evidence of the bump doesn’t look good for Burge so I don’t know what Palm Beach are basing their appeal on.

It was the year before with the Derrick/Blood incident. When you say nearly killed him I think that was Broadbeach trying everything they could to run him out. Blood was back playing round 1 the following season.

I have watched the Burge one and it looks like Croad pushes the surfers player which made him lower his body and Burge braced for impact.

Where Derrick had his 3 game reduced to 1. Burge would have to have his completely thrown out as the 1 week would mean missing GF.

Find it strange that there was so free kick or match day report on the day. But it’s AFLQ after all.

when a club has more spending money than the body they are appealing to, the appeals end up successful because its a financial competition and AFLQ can't be seen to blowing money fighting PBC when that money comes from 100 other clubs as well.

PBC know this, so make it a costly exercise and then get what they want. Like Jesse Derrick last year.

s**thouse behaviour really.

The only shithouse behaviour Fan was the rat Jason Cotter and broady appealing the original hearing which saw Derricks 3 games reduced to 1 on his exemplary record.

when a club has more spending money than the body they are appealing to, the appeals end up successful because its a financial competition and AFLQ can't be seen to blowing money fighting PBC when that money comes from 100 other clubs as well.

PBC know this, so make it a costly exercise and then get what they want. Like Jesse Derrick last year.

there is no way a local club could possibly have more money than the governing body. How much does an appeal cost?

The only s**thouse behaviour Fan was the rat Jason Cotter and broady appealing the original hearing which saw Derricks 3 games reduced to 1 on his exemplary record.
I commend your passion Dezario but just like I highly respect Derrick (and agree hes had an exemplary career and therefore I am a fan of his) I also have to say that Jason Cotter is as decorated as player/coach in QLD so I disagree on the 'rat' call

Based on the below it should be two weeks, three may be a bit stiff. The injury caused means a week has to be the minimum.

I commend your passion Dezario but just like I highly respect Derrick (and agree hes had an exemplary career and therefore I am a fan of his) I also have to say that Jason Cotter is as decorated as player/coach in QLD so I disagree on the 'rat' call

No denying his playing/coaching record. One of the greats. But I know from relying sources it was him and BA appealing.

Anyway I’m not here to pick fights. I really hope Burge gets off. (Unlikely) hate seeing any players miss gfs

No denying his playing/coaching record. One of the greats. But I know from relying sources it was him and BA appealing.

Anyway I’m not here to pick fights. I really hope Burge gets off. (Unlikely) hate seeing any players miss gfs
Agreed Dezario. Burge is also a quality player (who in my opinion was BOG in 2017 GF). I dont know any the finer details so I'll accept what you say and let it be

Jason Burge got 3 weeks I hear and appealing it, repeat of the last year when Palmy threatened to take league to High court to get their Captain off, which they did, and available for the Granny after he nearly killed a Broady player from a sling tackle.
The video evidence of the bump doesn’t look good for Burge so I don’t know what Palm Beach are basing their appeal on.
lol killed him it’s a contact sport pal and Derrick should never of missed a granny for that

Just looking after their players fan

I'm curious as to how the set penalty system applies. My very basic understanding is that the action has to be intentional or careless. Fair to say this is not in the intentional category. To be careless there must be a breach of duty of care. To breach duty of care, a reasonable player would not regard the action as prudent in the circumstances. Burge is going into a contest. A reasonable player would brace for the contact. Surely it can't be reasonable for a player to avoid the contact?

If it's rough conduct charge (reportable offence?), then bumping of opponent (reasonable or unreasonable) that causes contact to head seems to be caught. There seems to be a deeming of this being careless unless the player was contesting the ball and didn't have a realistic alternative way to contest the ball. I think the guidelines suggest that if a head clash happens when a player elects to bump, then this is a circumstance that can reasonably be foreseen - so in trouble if elect to bump rather than contest the ball. I don't think Burge was reported though? Don't think it would be an issue if not reported by the umpire on the day, but again, unsure how that works.

It feels like there are grounds for appeal on the basis of what a reasonable player would do in the circumstances; or an argument that there was no realistic alternative way to go to the contest.

It would be worth getting high paid defence for the appeal.
Also have a look at the Player Past NEAFL/Grogan medal winner watched him many Times quality Player and Not Ever Dirty

there is a sense of irony that 2 of the cleanest players on their list face these charges, when there are plenty of grubs that people would love to see miss a GF!

Cotter is a legend of the game, but working across 2 clubs and the influence he has aint cricket.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fan, reading back on this I need to ask is this favourable outcomes in appeals you state based on any fact or is it just opinion?

Did the Surfers player take any further part in the game after the incident ?

No, he went straight off and when he returned from Gaga land he did a concussion test which he failed and then went and got changed , 50/50 for this week apparently , if Burge doesn’t get atleast two weeks then Robbie Muir should appeal his love tap to that Carlton player too!

Mam
No, he went straight off and when he returned from Gaga land he did a concussion test which he failed and then went and got changed , 50/50 for this week apparently , if Burge doesn’t get atleast two weeks then Robbie Muir should appeal his love tap to that Carlton player too!
From the footage of the game it looked like a good bump in real time

Mam

From the footage of the game it looked like a good bump in real time

That’s the point these days choose to bump and you become responsible for the consequences.

As for the Blood incident not life threatening but he was in a bad way for weeks after the incident. One week was unders but that’s water under the bridge now.

Nobody suggesting Derrick or Burge for that matter are dirty players but do the crime, do the time, and I’d agree that richer clubs can afford to appeal where others can’t. But that’s not PBCs fault I’d do the same if I were them and the world ain’t always fair

That’s the point these days choose to bump and you become responsible for the consequences.

As for the Blood incident not life threatening but he was in a bad way for weeks after the incident. One week was unders but that’s water under the bridge now.

Nobody suggesting Derrick or Burge for that matter are dirty players but do the crime, do the time, and I’d agree that richer clubs can afford to appeal where others can’t. But that’s not PBCs fault I’d do the same if I were them and the world ain’t always fair
Yep true things are never fair sometimes. But it was what Broady did after the original sentence to Derrick was handed out that was not fair and a low act. As you said tho premier That’s water under the bridge now

I don't think the determination is choosing to bump. Think the defence will be realistic options and what a reasonable player would do - therefore not careless.

My mail is that Burge is free to play.

Not 100% but think the club puts up a 5 or 10k bond to appeal and if the club loses the appeal they also lose the bond.
That seems very excessive by the league to charge that amount to appeal a decision which you’re entitled to do.
Looks more like they don’t want people to appeal so put a heavy price tag on it.

Couldn’t possibly be considered a fair process if they charge that

Challenging at the tribunal (as anyone is entitled to do) is completely different to appealing beyond that.

For it be decided already, he must have gone to tribunal and won - which is perfectly fair.

Opting to go to tribunal costs about $100, not $5k.

The only s**thouse behaviour Fan was the rat Jason Cotter and broady appealing the original hearing which saw Derricks 3 games reduced to 1 on his exemplary record.

You are a deadset muppet mate. Derrick should not of been able to play. Blood missed that game, the semi, the prelim and if cats made the GF he would of missed that as well with brain bleeds.

Broadbeach appealed the decision as the decision was unsatisfactory for what happen. You and your palmy mates are just flogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Qafl 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Back