QAFL 2023 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

you will find many ex Suns academy kids playing regular senior footy across the clubs on the GC in the QAFL and other competitions. The biggest criticism of the Lions is that they run such a poor program that 80% of them give it away before they are 20.

Don't think you blame (nor credit) either academy for the kids getting drafted, but the impact they have on local footy (which if you read their 'mission statement' is part of their remit) and if you ask 90% of clubland volunteers, none would have anything positive to say abot the academy.
Probably because Lions also recruit ex AFL players and interstate players to play in VFL in lieu of using Academy kids and former Academy kids to top up. Likes of Rayners brother, Dunkley’s brother, Buzza etc not helping any of their growth.

Suns do it completely different

They’ve already demolished Wa and SA. Like u said looks a very good group coming thru.
With the massive drop off around Australia of 18 year old kids playing AFL maybe it’s time for the Allies to be divided maybe again into QLD/NT and NSW/Tassie.

Seems a little bit out of whack now apart from Victoria that WA and SA have come back to field a bit.

When Sherwood returned to Senior Footy in 1999, the charter from AFLQ was exactly as described above by my mate FIIK whoever that might be. To provide a pathway to Senior Football for kids in the Western Suburbs. The Magpies don't seek to swallow up all the best kids in the area from the age of 10, but rather be their destination when they get to ages 16-18 and would like to progress to QAFL football. We have only won a single Div 1 Youth Premiership in 10 years, and this is a direct result of taking a different approach to other QAFL clubs and preferring to see football strong in the Western Suburbs with heaps of very strong junior clubs, rather than one big behemoth swallowing them all up. There are plenty of kids who we have in fact turned away over the years and encouraged to stay where they are, but more recently we have accepted more of them previously as we found that after we turned them away, they just went up the road to the next QAFL club trying to make an unneccessary move because they think they need to be at a QAFL club when they're 12 (which is absolute rubbish).

Jindalee, Kenmore, Yeronga, Wests, Ipswich Cats/Eagles and further afield like Darling Downs and Jimboomba have all produced some outstanding players that have found their way to the Magpies, and long may it continue. Having 10+ u8 teams and 5 x u12 teams is ludicrous, let your local competition thrive.

Some of the best players to have pulled on our jumper in the last 20 years are juniors from surrounding clubs. Pope, Scott x2, Hamill, Dobson, Rozynski, Allen, Bail etc etc. There have been some absolutely sensational genuine home grown ones too, like Bourke, Mihalopoulos, McEvoy, Mitchell x 2, Winton, Fletcher - but its not some big conspiracy theory. In fact we openly celebrate the origins of our squad, and always acknowledge the junior club of every Senior Debutant, often inviting a former junior coach or member of their club committee to present their jumper.

Appreciate FIIK underlining our success in this area and our adherence to our senior footy charter :thumbsu::)
But stiff you don’t mention Park Ridge Thommo as we have had about 10 former juniors play seniors at Sherwood in last 3-4 years😂

With the massive drop off around Australia of 18 year old kids playing AFL

is there a stat somewhere for this?

I've been blaming the academy, but if its happening everywhere, then perhaps academy isn't to blame.

There does seem to be a prevalence of the attitude, 'get drafted or not worth playing' but hopefully people outgrow this as there is nothing better than being part of a footy club (or any sporting club for that matter)

Thanks for the positive responses so far. I know this kind of history is not everybody's scene. I'll make sure I'm not too obtrusive with it.

Miller1971 There certainly have been some significant Head-To-Head histories - and unfortunately, a lot of these have been lost now.
The two clubs to have clashed most often (151 times) are Mayne (82 wins) and Kedron (66 wins) (3 draws).
The numbers do not include name variations or mergers, eg, should Kedron Grange be included in Kedron's record? Is Windsor Zillmere equal to Windsor? I've said No to both.

Magpieboy Yeah, you named all of the Big Eight clubs which formed the QAFL all through my childhood. I don't think we will ever see it get back to anything like that again - but some stability, which builds "tradition", would be good. I grew up in a SQAFA household, so I have interest in what the current League would be like without clubs such as Sherwood, Mt Gravatt, Redlands, and Aspley.

smy1305 I'm sure other Leagues across the country have maintained records (perhaps not on a voluntary basis). About ten years ago, I just decided to put the info together (with help from others), after stepping away from Clubland after 37 seasons. It is most certainly a mental exercise which I think is worthwhile - and its perfectly okay if others do not agree. With 8,339 records saved for the "QAFL", I'm now trying to do something similar for SQAFA/BAFL - and would be willing to put the same work into the Gold coast and Sunshine Coast Leagues. All a bit of "fun".

With the massive drop off around Australia of 18 year old kids playing AFL maybe it’s time for the Allies to be divided maybe again into QLD/NT and NSW/Tassie.

Seems a little bit out of whack now apart from Victoria that WA and SA have come back to field a bit.
SA did win the champs last year i think SM - possibly more just a case of strong and weaker years. WA is the interesting one - rarely win the Div 1 group and definitely many years the Qld group in particular would be stronger I think.

Probably because Lions also recruit ex AFL players and interstate players to play in VFL in lieu of using Academy kids and former Academy kids to top up. Likes of Rayners brother, Dunkley’s brother, Buzza etc not helping any of their growth.

Suns do it completely different
Thats true SM and i think it is strange they do so but does it have more to do with the support of their brothers? TBH no idea why Buzza would be playing unless there is a thought that he could one day find himself in the mix.
Lions 2's are not always strong either as you know. Like most VFL sides it is completely based around the injuries in the squad.

is there a stat somewhere for this?

I've been blaming the academy, but if its happening everywhere, then perhaps academy isn't to blame.

There does seem to be a prevalence of the attitude, 'get drafted or not worth playing' but hopefully people outgrow this as there is nothing better than being part of a footy club (or any sporting club for that matter)
Certainly a trend happening around Australia Miller - competitions in most parts of Australia struggling to fill this age group. I agree with your 2nd part and in fact is why you need great coaching at junior and esp colts level - people who appreciate the bigger picture at play and not ranting and raving and making squads do 45min of conditioning and 45min of football work. Teach them to love the game first and foremost and aspire to be a really good (or not so good) local footballer. TBH think this could be part of the success of Fri night footy where the expectations from coaches isn't as great but still competitive fun.

Thanks for the positive responses so far. I know this kind of history is not everybody's scene. I'll make sure I'm not too obtrusive with it.

Miller1971 There certainly have been some significant Head-To-Head histories - and unfortunately, a lot of these have been lost now.
The two clubs to have clashed most often (151 times) are Mayne (82 wins) and Kedron (66 wins) (3 draws).
The numbers do not include name variations or mergers, eg, should Kedron Grange be included in Kedron's record? Is Windsor Zillmere equal to Windsor? I've said No to both.

Magpieboy Yeah, you named all of the Big Eight clubs which formed the QAFL all through my childhood. I don't think we will ever see it get back to anything like that again - but some stability, which builds "tradition", would be good. I grew up in a SQAFA household, so I have interest in what the current League would be like without clubs such as Sherwood, Mt Gravatt, Redlands, and Aspley.

smy1305 I'm sure other Leagues across the country have maintained records (perhaps not on a voluntary basis). About ten years ago, I just decided to put the info together (with help from others), after stepping away from Clubland after 37 seasons. It is most certainly a mental exercise which I think is worthwhile - and its perfectly okay if others do not agree. With 8,339 records saved for the "QAFL", I'm now trying to do something similar for SQAFA/BAFL - and would be willing to put the same work into the Gold coast and Sunshine Coast Leagues. All a bit of "fun".
fantastic stuff Toucan - all power to you. Win/win imo with your own mind occupied and a great data bank of stats. Some clubs would be rapt to be able to sell a game as the 100th contest between said clubs.

But stiff you don’t mention Park Ridge Thommo as we have had about 10 former juniors play seniors at Sherwood in last 3-4 years😂

Yes, that's an omission sorry. RG, JJ and plenty of others have spent time at the Pirates before making their way to us.

It's less linear in that area, in that many have played at 2 or 3 clubs before arriving with us. While the more immediate locals basically play all their footy at one junior club, then move.

I'd say Jindalee in particular have supplied a huge amount of high quality senior players over the last 20 years, while more recently Ipswich Cats have been a genuine footy factory of talent, but for whatever reason those kids move pretty early rather than waiting until they are 16.

From u15s through to Seniors, i would estimate there are close to 15 pretty high quality players that started their footy journey at the Cats. (Strangely about half of them came to us via Wests juniors)

Horrible news hearing that former Sherwood and MtGravatt great Andrew Scott and his wife were victims of the bus crash in the hunter…

They leave behind two young boys…
Fantastic footballer, from what everyone that knew him . Has said He was a ripper bloke as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have you ever been in contact with Phil Gluyas? He has spent I guess decades collecting history of all leagues in the country including as many scores as he can find in order to evidence final standings for each season. Can probably find him with a Facebook search.

Horrible news hearing that former Sherwood and MtGravatt great Andrew Scott and his wife were victims of the bus crash in the hunter…

They leave behind two young boys…
Extraordinary. What a waste of young life. Never met Andrew or Luke, but from all reports they are both as good fellas as they are footballers, which makes them outstanding blokes!

Ok coming into the 2nd half of the season ...So which team has been your most surprising and most disappointing so far .
Mine are most surprised at Surfers Paradise,,, in 5th place on the ladder when most were predicting them to be in the 3 .
And Palm Beach ,, gee I thought they would of been up in the top 3 . !!!

Ok coming into the 2nd half of the season ...So which team has been your most surprising and most disappointing so far .
Mine are most surprised at Surfers Paradise,,, in 5th place on the ladder when most were predicting them to be in the 3 .
And Palm Beach ,, gee I thought they would of been up in the top 3 . !!!
Most Surprising: Surfers Paradise
I had them finishing 9th in my predictions. The improvement they've shown from last year has been unbelievable. I reckon they'll finish in the top 6 at the end of the season.

Most Disappointing: Maroochydore
Would you believe that I had the Roos 5th in my predictions! They now sit 11th on the ladder with only 2 wins from their first 10 games. Maroochydore should be a much better side than that, they've been SHOCKING!

Honourable Mention: Broadbeach
Broady are coming off the back of an 18-0 season, and their current record stands as 6-3. I understand they've lost some key players in the off-season and have also had a horrid run with injuries, but if you told me this side would go on to lose against Morningside and Grange after that performance in round 1 against Aspley, I would've told you that you're off with the fairies.

Last edited:
Most Surprising: Mine are Surfers and Mt Gravatt. The Vultures in particular have surprised me. I thought they were going to finish dead last with 0 points potentially. Surfers Paradise will most likely make finals with their current form. If you told me that at the start of the season I wouldn’t of believed you.

Most Disappointing: Maroochydore have been terrible this year. I thought they were going to make finals, especially after their good form from the backend of last year. PBC definitely haven’t lived up to this forum’s hype. They should make finals still but I definitely thought that they would be beating the likes of Labrador and Noosa. Broadbeach have been disappointing as well after their dominance over the QAFL in recent years. The Cats definitely get some slack though due to their injury crisis. That can happen to anyone.

This year’s finals positions are definitely more open compared to last year. The 2022 race for finals was more of a closed shop. Even though there are a number of teams that have a chance to make finals this season, I don’t think the teams that finish from 4th to 6th will do much to be honest. They’ll just make up the numbers.

Here are my end of season ladder predictions:

1st:
Aspley
2nd: RVP
3rd: Broadbeach
4th: PBC
5th: Surfers Paradise
6th: Grange 😕
7th: Labrador
8th: Morningside
9th: Noosa
10th: Mt Gravatt
11th: Maroochydore
12th: Sherwood 🥄x2

The race for 6th will be very interesting. It will come to the last round for that spot to be finalised in my opinion. Grange will just make the finals ‘JUST’. I can see them making it by the skin of their teeth. They could even bottle it. I certainly wouldn’t put an end of season collapse past them, but they’ve done enough in the first half of the season to make the finals I reckon. Morningside having an injury crisis of their own (not to the extent of the Cats) will mean that they’ll miss out. Labrador will be extremely unlucky to not play finals as well, but I believe that their form from the start of the season will cost them in the end.

Last edited:
Smy,,, sorry I meant the last 3 on the ladder
Yeah they are going really well aren't they! All things being equal SP would be the club that appears to bat more out of its hitting zone than any other club. Seem to go really really well most years despite not appearing to spend a lot of money and with some very strong clubs in and around them. Must be a good environment down there.

I think you were over estimating our list Stuyd.

Also the there was a coaching change a week before round 1. Plenty of injuries none more important than losing Jon Croad in the first minutes of the season.

Frawley has only played a handful or games and Armitage hasn’t played since round 1.

About 6-8 colts have made senior debuts… the average age would be very very young still. hopefully we can sneak into the top 6. I honestly had a bit more hope myself for a stronger first half of the year

Still a long way to go

Most Surprising: Surfers Paradise
I had them finishing 9th in my predictions. The improvement they've shown from last year has been unbelievable. I reckon they'll finish in the top 6 at the end of the season.

Most Disappointing: Maroochydore
Would you believe that I had the Roos 5th in my predictions! They now sit 11th on the ladder with only 2 wins from their first 10 games. Maroochydore should be a much better side than that, they've been SHOCKING!

Honourable Mention: Broadbeach
Broady are coming off the back of an 18-0 season, and their current record stands as 6-3. I understand they've lost some key players in the off-season and have also had a horrid run with injuries, but if you told me this side would go on to lose against Morningside and Grange after that performance in round 1 against Aspley, I would've told you that you're off with the fairies.
Mate,,
Your Braodbeach mention is not taking into account the actual injury long term to top players ,, this has devestasted us, and we copped 3 more last saturday ,, in fact this week we are short for the reserve grade and one of our assistant coachs in ex Swans player Nick Malkesci is padding up for the 2 s on saturday .
Yes we played a draw with Aspley in round one with a full squad to choose from ,, had a few injuries long term occur but then that day against Palm Beach was something a club rarely sees,, like 7 bad injuries ,, long term wise,,
We are playing with basically a half reserve grade / colts side on game day and have so since that Palmy game.
So give credit where due,, we are still in 3rd place on the ladder and our reserve grade and colts are in similiar positions ...so I feel this is a unreal effort ,, not a disappointing effort..

Remove this Banner Ad

QAFL 2023 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back