QAFL 2023 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm actually backing up the umpiring with my comment. I saw that seniors game and thought they were pretty good

Very easy to make a comment like above but funny enough the invitation to back it up generally gets silence

The Umpiring performance in the second half and especially the last quarter I thought, were inconsistent with Prior Opportunity and some questionable tackles by Aspley that were let go yet a similar tackle by Wilson Grange would result in a free are a couple of examples. I did say in my original post it's difficult to attract Umpires, yes I agree No Umpires No Game!

The old chestnut. I'm not fussed either way but watch the old footy replies on TV and the umpires bounced the ball all around the ground, with few issues at all. Has the shape of the ball changed?
Considering umpires (good decision makers) drop out of the game now if they can't bounce the ball then it seems ridiculous for a skill that is performed so little throughout a game. And the umpires back in the day were never asked to return a bad bounce nor were 2 ruckmen lined up opposite each other. A lot has changed I reckon. Even if the shape of the ball hasn't.

Surely you’d prefer an umpire whose skill set was based around his decision making over how he bounced the ball.

I’m a traditionalist and love the bounce but can’t seeing lasting much longer. Give it 2 years max

How is it umpires could bounce back in the day but not now?
Freddy,
they use to say the aussie rules footy was made out pig skin/ hide ....well thats incorrect, its outside has for years been made of cows hide.
The actual internal bladder of the ball use to be made with a pigs bladder ....but not now, the bladder is synthetic rubber and this product is no where near as consistent in forceful bouncing like a umpire bouncing the ball.

The Umpiring performance in the second half and especially the last quarter I thought, were inconsistent with Prior Opportunity and some questionable tackles by Aspley that were let go yet a similar tackle by Wilson Grange would result in a free are a couple of examples. I did say in my original post it's difficult to attract Umpires, yes I agree No Umpires No Game!

Have a shot yourself mate? Maybe you could reach for the stars and replace Razor Ray one day!

So back to QAFL action……I see Redlands, Broady and Aspley as my top three….thioughts?

Did anyone hear any sprays from the Grange coach on the weekend?
Was down the wrong end near the change rooms, both huddles were too far away from me. No sensational audio at half time. Only spray I witnessed was a bloke giving it to the reserves umpires after that match had finished. He caught up with them as they were wandering back to their rooms and gave his "assessment". His allegiance wasn't clear.

The women's teams were noisy but they were partying, not complaining.

So back to QAFL action……I see Redlands, Broady and Aspley as my top three….thioughts?

Did anyone hear any sprays from the Grange coach on the weekend?
No doubt they're the 3 at this stage, and by a far bit to whoever is next. Maroochydore have lost their 2 early long trips away so they may be the 4th best.

However I reckon 5th to last may be a bit closer than last year based on last weeks Surfers' win and Sherwood v Palmy margin as well as Morningside & Mt Gravatt making good starts to the year.

Freddy,
they use to say the aussie rules footy was made out pig skin/ hide ....well thats incorrect, its outside has for years been made of cows hide.
The actual internal bladder of the ball use to be made with a pigs bladder ....but not now, the bladder is synthetic rubber and this product is no where near as consistent in forceful bouncing like a umpire bouncing the ball.
Also had a plate in the 90s to bounce the ball off, ask Shaun Rehn what he thinks of those.
Im a ruckman, happy with them just throwing it up, plenty of variance in that anyway to stop it being a jump ball like contest.
you are coming off 3-4 steps into the contest, throw suffices.

No doubt they're the 3 at this stage, and by a far bit to whoever is next. Maroochydore have lost their 2 early long trips away so they may be the 4th best.

However I reckon 5th to last may be a bit closer than last year based on last weeks Surfers' win and Sherwood v Palmy margin as well as Morningside & Mt Gravatt making good starts to the year.
Yeah good assessment Lagging - looks a fair gap from the top 3 for sure.

Based on your whinging, I went and had a look at the video of the final quarter of the grange/Aspley game, and had a look at a couple of others too.

Aspley definitely got the rub of the green, but I don't think it warranted a rant like that - especially when soundly beaten. Matt Eagles showing strong leadership as usual, pushing Dawson, whacking a bloke in the mouth and giving away 50 from a centre wing stoppage for no apparent reason. Take a look at the last quarter of the palmy vs magpies game, especially the 50m penalty paid with a few minutes left. Surprised there wasn't a riot. Last quarter of Panthers vs Vultures was interesting too, but more of the momentum change than anything.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How is it umpires could bounce back in the day but not now?
In the old days people accepted some inconsistent outcome from a bounce - it wasn't expected to go perfectly straight up in the air every single time and they didn't re-do bounces generally. For some reason this changed.

Ruckmen were getting hurt
They were getting hurt because they were taking gigantic runups and banging knees together, causing a spate of PCL injuries. Once they brought in the 5m circle those PCL's more or less stopped.

I agree, just call play on on bad bounces. If an umpries varies the side of the ground they start their bouncing motion, it should take out any worry about one side being favoured.

Remove this Banner Ad

QAFL 2023 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back