QAFL 2024 season

Remove this Banner Ad

May be so SM but he’s been named 7x in their senior side and even if the pies were short I’m sure they didn’t go and pick complete spuds to pull on the jumper
Seen him play live mate and can only judge on what I seen. He probably wouldn’t play seniors at most of top
4-5 QAFL sides in my opinion.

Not sure he got games at Collingwood based on form as I seen him play the week before he played VFL.

Just had a look at the 7 games he played at East Keilor and was in best twice.

Give the kid benefit of doubt as might have some family issues on his plate effecting his footy.

See Jacob Townsend has re signed with Southport leaving Broadbeach .. !!!!

Townsend has not played any games for the Cats this year from what I can see.

Don’t know if he has left, as he would still need to be aligned with a QAFL club wouldn’t he?

Buzza done for the season by the looks, but Sharks would be keen throwing a 31 year old who hasn’t played a game this year straight in at that level…

Seen him play live mate and can only judge on what I seen. He probably wouldn’t play seniors at most of top
4-5 QAFL sides in my opinion.

Not sure he got games at Collingwood based on form as I seen him play the week before he played VFL.

Just had a look at the 7 games he played at East Keilor and was in best twice.

Give the kid benefit of doubt as might have some family issues on his plate effecting his footy.
Yep fair enough. How is your lad going?

Imo think the order of selection should go seniors, colts, 2s with flexibility around the colts/2s order. Ie do we want to see a kid play against men before promoting to seniors as one reason but if the senior side is performing badly u night parachute them in anyway. Alternatively playing a weak reserves side but strong colts oppo.

Its definitely a common debate every bloody year. In the end I think after a few weeks, it comes down to where each team sits competitively, but I agree Colts play 1s or Colts, cause 2s can't play Colts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"Tradition V Trivia" (for anyone interested):

Straight into it:

Round 13

Broadbeach V Noosa

Played 3: Broadbeach 3 – Noosa 0 (QAFL 2021-2023)
Sometimes, there is simply not much history to review. The margins of the three games have been 113, 18, and 90. Aside from that, I am perplexed as to how both teams are travelling right now. The only thing I know for certain is that Noosa must travel the greatest distance this week.

Palm Beach Currumbin V Surfers Paradise
Played 28: Palm Beach 22 - Surfers Paradise 6 (QAFL 2011-2024)
Overall 54: Palm Beach 41 – Surfers Paradise 13 (1998-2001, 2005-2024)
In contrast, there is a massive amount of history to cover here.
During their shared QAFL tenure, the Lions have been largely in control of the contests. Across the 28 games, five have been decided by less than ten points (and three of those have occurred in the last five encounters). The two clubs have met in three finals, including the 2019 Grand Final.
There are so many years preceding the QAFL to cover. For now, I can go back as far as 1998 – the Lions and the Demons contested consecutive Grand Finals in 1998 and 1999, winning one apiece. However, I believe the clashes probably commenced in 1963. Having referred to my copy of “More Of The Kangaroo” (What a great book it is!*), I can now see that the two clubs played in six further Grand Finals against each other: 1965, 1968, 1974, 1985, 1990, & 1997.
Perhaps the GCAFL is something to work on during the off-season….
One hit of trivia: both clubs are only ten goals away from a QAFL milestone against each other: Palm Beach for 400 goals, and Surfers Paradise from 300 goals. I like to think both targets will be reached this weekend.

Aspley V Maroochydore
Played 4: Aspley 4 - Maroochydore 0 (QAFL 2022-2023)
Overall 23: Aspley 11 – Maroochydore 12 (1993-1997, 2005-2008, 2022-2023)
A stuttering past between the clubs.
In their current QAFL manifestation, the Hornets are undefeated. Only one of those four games has been decided by a single digit margin.
The clubs first met when Maroochydore joined the BAFL from the wound-up SCAFL in 1993. The Roos were a strong club at that time, winning four consecutive premierships (including one against Aspley in 1996), eventually being promoted to the QSFL in 1998. Following this, whilst Aspley remained relatively stable, Maroochydore endured some tumultuous times. They did not meet again until a combined Maroochydore/Northshore competed in the AFLQ Division 2 (2005-2008).

Labrador V Morningside
Played 59: Labrador 18 – Morningside 41 (1997-2024)
Having first met when Labrador was promoted to the QSFL in 1997, both clubs have stuck at it well. Consequently, we naturally end up with a large number of contests.
Seven games have been decided by less than ten points – but eight have concluded with a margin of greater than 100 points. There have been four finals encounters amongst those games – and remarkably, three of those were Grand Finals: 2010 Morningside, 2014 Morningside, and 2015 Labrador.
Their games have accumulated 1,595 goals, at an average of just over 27 per game. Would we consider that generally high scoring?

Mt Gravatt V Wilston Grange
Played 18: Mt Gravatt 8 – Draw 2 – Wilston Grange 8 (2014-2023)
It doesn’t get much closer than this record. Four games have had a margin of less than ten points, including two draws, both of which occurred in 2016.
So, what about the aggregated score? Across the 18 games, Mt Gravatt has scored 231-235-1621 to Grange’s 211-198-1465. If the Gorillas win by 156 points this week, the scores will be all even.

Redland Victoria Point V Sherwood
Played 17: Redland 15 – Draw 1 - Sherwood 1 (2001-2004, 2009-2010, 2021-2024)
The nominally 8500th QAFL fixture this week – and involving two old SQAFA clubs. Their respective Senior teams never actually played against each other in the SQAFA competition though.
Only one close contest between the teams: a draw in 2003 at Chelmer. The Magpies have only sung their song once against the Sharks: a 26-point victory in 2004, also at Chelmer.
To the casual observer, there have been numerous surprise results so far this season. Why not this one too?

As usual, if anyone disagrees with any details, or has more information to share, please let me know – I want to get these records as accurate as possible.

Enjoy. :thumbsu:

*If you would like to obtain a copy of “More Of The Kangaroo”, contact me. Copies are still available.

Went ok last weekend at Keilor kicking 6 goals as Williamstown had a bye. Up here this weekend playing Suns.
Good to hear mate. Its excellent when young qld kids doing well around the country. Bit like young Wilson Barry over in SA he’s going okay too from talking with dad. Certainly keeping his spot at centrals. Love seeing it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back