Qatar 2011 Asian Cup the stone that gets the ball rolling on Qatar's abdication of 2022 World Cup

Remove this Banner Ad

McCrann

Premiership Player
Nov 1, 2007
Australia
AFL Club
St Kilda
Will the Qatar 2011 Asian Cup - no doubt watched by more people around the world than usual because of the Qatari victory at bidding for the 2022 World Cup - be the precursor that starts the process towards stripping Qatar of the 2022 World Cup hosting rights?

What I'm getting at is, will the stories of Australian tourists being arrested - it will happen - and also the crowds of a few hundred people, actually create awareness in the rest of the World about just how unsuitable this country is to be hosting a World Cup?

Could the Qatari hosting of the Asian Cup actually be the backfire that causes them to lose hosting rights for 2022? Or, at least starts the ball rolling?

Re: Qatar 2011 Asian Cup the stone that gets the ball rolling on Qatar's abdication of 2022 World Cu

McCrann I have heard rumours that Qatar are going to "rent" crowds to put on a good show for Asian Cup 2011

No doubt stories will emerge about Aussie couples being arrested for public displays of affection without being married ( Qatar does not recognise non Islamic weddings )

Re: Qatar 2011 Asian Cup the stone that gets the ball rolling on Qatar's abdication of 2022 World Cu

They would probably get more crowds than if we hosted the Asian Cup (Il'l eat my words if we manage to get crowded houses come 2015 as wer'e the only team currently bidding)

E
They would probably get more crowds than if we hosted the Asian Cup (Il'l eat my words if we manage to get crowded houses come 2015 as wer'e the only team currently bidding)

No chance. Qatar football league games are played in front of hundreds if fans and it is a reasonably good league. Entry is free and nobody turns up. Plenty of expats in Australia will ensure that even the low drawing games will get around the 10k mark. Socceroos will be sold out of course.

Remove this Banner Ad

Qatar 2011 Asian Cup the stone that gets the ball rolling on Qatar's abdication of 2022 World Cup

Remove this Banner Ad

Back