Qatar has 2022 in the bag

Remove this Banner Ad

We didnt just lose, we got beaten down.

Round 1: Australia1 vote, Japan 3 votes, US 3 votes, South Korea 4 votes and Qatar 11 votes.

Round 2: Japan 2 votes, South Korea 5 votes, US 5 votes and Qatar 10 votes.

Round 3 South Korea 5 votes, US 6 votes and Qatar 11 votes.

Round 4 US 8 votes and Qatar 14 votes (Qatar obtain absolute majority)

:)

Very happy with our position:thumbsu:

Checker, I appreciate you may be quite disappointed at the moment: but as the biggest flag bearer/waver for the WC on the site- and who was very confident we had it in the bag (ie the bid was solid and assured) :

What's your perspective on the voting? 1 vote? I wasn't a supporter but I expected us to get to the third round.... What the hell happened?

the oracle.

ah well.

still reckon the Australians made a mistake by pushing this 'last frontier', 'last continent' thing - - - Australasia.

Did that 'burn' any good will within the Asian confederation.

At least we didn't go calling Russia a continent

It was a cirrupt bid because Bin Hamannman or whatever his name is the head of the AFC is QATARI and he is set to take over FIFA when Blatter retires. Doesn't surprise me really considering the corrupt nature of this organisation.

It was a cirrupt bid because Bin Hamannman or whatever his name is the head of the AFC is QATARI and he is set to take over FIFA when Blatter retires. Doesn't surprise me really considering the corrupt nature of this organisation.

100% correct but we knew this way back when - this was no surprise.

Easy to be wise after the event but to quote the late great Johnny Warren, "I told you so".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A serious question; the stadiums in Quatar will have air conditioners to keep the whole stadium cool enough to play and I was wondering how this would affect the flight of the ball (as in the temp and humidity)?

They wouldn't know as the technology has not even been tested.

A serious question; the stadiums in Quatar will have air conditioners to keep the whole stadium cool enough to play and I was wondering how this would affect the flight of the ball (as in the temp and humidity)?

Considering the complete ****-up they've made with the balls over the last 10 years, I hardly think they are likely to make a fuss.

Soccer is supposed to be an outdoor game - played in wind, rain and storm. At altitude (Mexico, Ecuador) and below sea-level (Jordan, much of Holland). A/C shouldn't be an issue.

And if it is, I am sure the discrete placing of some brown paper bags would clear up the problem quickly.

Good point, my sister in law's old man works as an engineer in Qatar, and over there, they aren't taking the World Cup bid too seriously. The World Cup bid is more about building an image for Qatar/national pride then anything else. Just ask anybody who is living over there at the moment (in the 40 degree plus celsius heat!!!!).

not taking it too seriously huh? I guess they could have had 2018 too if they wanted get serious about it.

good call. :thumbsu:

Here is me putting my hand up and saying 'I was wrong', big time!

So to all those I dismissed for even suggesting Qatar had a chance, I apologise. Still gutted over the result.

The press here in the UK are absolutely going to town. They are even more bewildered by Qatar winning then they are Russia, which really says something I think.

i know very little about the place:

here's a skim over doha
[youtube]egTVnqogyoY[/youtube]

i dont think theres a lot there

I have lived and worked in Qatar over the last 4 years and this is the only 100% correct statement in this thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Qatar has 2022 in the bag

Remove this Banner Ad

Back