QFA Div 2 North

Remove this Banner Ad

You would hope they do some more poaching this off season. Going up into div 1, already lost a few premiership players i see. Reserves were not very flash last year either, so could be a grim year for the boys at park ridge

I’ve heard APPARENTLY some park ridge boys are training with moorooka and that moorooka could poach some players. And that park ridge have put in to stay in div 2 and yeronga have put in to stay in div1.

I’ve heard APPARENTLY some park ridge boys are training with moorooka and that moorooka could poach some players. And that park ridge have put in to stay in div 2 and yeronga have put in to stay in div1.
Big call if true.
Sort of makes promotion and relegation a non event then.
History has proven if you try and grow to quick one hiccup and your back to struggling.

If someone doesn't want to go up and the other doesn't want to go down, then they should just leave it. AFLQ can't point to the rules when they break them themselves all the time when its convenient.

Park Ridge with their Premiership side would have struggled, if they have lost some of them -then they would have been in real strife. Geez Yeronga would want to have improved if they want to stay though!

Moorooka have got Tom Corless coaching them, so he would have connections with all the ex Sandgate blokes at Park Ridge, he's also coached at the Magpies, Yeronga, Beenleigh and Kenmore - so would have a black book full of people to call. I hope Moorooka move up, they are my local!

It looks like your getting poached hard by other clubs blocker. That’s gotta suck!

I think it happens to everyone and its path of the course unfortunately . We have lost a lot of players to clubs over last 3 years but have grabbed a few good ones as well along the way.

The problem is we are only 5 years old as a club so we really haven't established a solid playing list or a structure with Colts to under pin our seniors. So although the League is trying to stop clubs recruiting from other clubs at various levels by bringing in points system, how do we compete if we haven't had time to build or develop our club.

You would hope they do some more poaching this off season. Going up into div 1, already lost a few premiership players i see. Reserves were not very flash last year either, so could be a grim year for the boys at park ridge

You are probably spot on but not sure about poaching statement. Blake Passfield hadn't played for two years so not sure how he was poached. Tommy Overington, Aden Rutledge weren't playing in 2018 until we contacted them. Kurt Adams, Josh Warden both didn't play year before joining us. Bomber Davidson, Renn Lovett and Twisty Smith both came from Melbourne. So can you enlighten me as to who we actually poached?

Mate we are working with Moorooka to build relationships with and hope to do same with Thommo at Sherwood. We actually posted for players who wanted to have a run that Saturday mornings was an option.

Happy to help Tommy out with some extra numbers for better drills and to help their standard of training. I think there is even players from Beenleigh training there so not really to many issues of poaching I would think.

You are probably spot on but not sure about poaching statement. Blake Passfield hadn't played for two years so not sure how he was poached. Tommy Overington, Aden Rutledge weren't playing in 2018 until we contacted them. Kurt Adams, Josh Warden both didn't play year before joining us. Bomber Davidson, Renn Lovett and Twisty Smith both came from Melbourne. So can you enlighten me as to who we actually poached?
Wow, that clears that up.

I think it happens to everyone and its path of the course unfortunately . We have lost a lot of players to clubs over last 3 years but have grabbed a few good ones as well along the way.

The problem is we are only 5 years old as a club so we really haven't established a solid playing list or a structure with Colts to under pin our seniors. So although the League is trying to stop clubs recruiting from other clubs at various levels by bringing in points system, how do we compete if we haven't had time to build or develop our club.
I’m personally a big fan of relegation and promotion, being a Prictorian it works well in most comps down there, however most clubs in Vic have been around since before the Kelly Gang. In Qld we have had massive growth in recent years with new clubs building from scratch and several of the new clubs finding success in lower divisions early in their history. Bond, Coomera, Park Ridge, Carrara to name a few, with two of the above mentioned clubs struggling in recent years after being romoted to higher division mainly due to their youthful existence.
Competitive competition is what’s best for all Divisions, maybe the AFLQ need to relax the rules to ensure clubs, particularly young clubs are placed in Divisions where they can develop and grow. I reckon that will benefit all in the long run

I’m personally a big fan of relegation and promotion, being a Prictorian it works well in most comps down there, however most clubs in Vic have been around since before the Kelly Gang. In Qld we have had massive growth in recent years with new clubs building from scratch and several of the new clubs finding success in lower divisions early in their history. Bond, Coomera, Park Ridge, Carrara to name a few, with two of the above mentioned clubs struggling in recent years after being romoted to higher division mainly due to their youthful existence.
Competitive competition is what’s best for all Divisions, maybe the AFLQ need to relax the rules to ensure clubs, particularly young clubs are placed in Divisions where they can develop and grow. I reckon that will benefit all in the long run
Problem with doing this though is you then run the risk of a club who feels they aren’t just ready but really want to be promoted, not being able to do so. It becomes pretty subjective as to when clubs get promoted and when others don’t. Could be a real can of worms.

The law of common sence should be applied to all footy clubs.
The problem atm is the gap between divisions.
To go up and get smashed and drop again the next year makes no logic at all.
It justs puts the footy club back to the beginning again.
The goal I assume is to have all clubs improving.
Any club who thinks that they need another year to develop should have a say in their future.
If you want footy to grow then the clubs should have more say and the aflq needs to listen.
Yes you have rules but to enforce them at the expense of the club is in no ones interest.

Exactly. Blocker might be surprised by this, but I respect Park Ridge if they have admitted they are not ready for Div 1, as I would agree.

They need to wait until the points system is in before they heavily enforce relegation and promotion because at the moment, if you win Div 2 or 3 you are at huge risk of losing players who just want to stay in the Division they are already in. Especially with the amount of musical chairs in lower level footy these days, players have mates and connections at clubs all over the place and there is next to no loyalty at all.

Park Ridge win Div 2, lose their bottom end to blokes wanting to stay in Div 2 and some of their top youth potentially to academies and QAFL clubs - and they go into Div 1 the following year with half their Premiership side missing when playing at a level several rungs above where they came from. Just doesn't make sense.

Not much fun heading up the Sunny Coast 3 times to lose 2 games by 200 points total, could set them back 2 or 3 years, not just one year.

You can't structurally change the competition to enforce promotion and relegation, when the structure of the competition makes it so incredibly easy for players to be poached and switch clubs on a regular basis. I hope when they bring the points in, the 2 point penalty for poaching players from the same competition still applies to players poached from the outgoing premier or spooner.

Yeah respectfully disagree with you both. Everyone knows the ground rules when they sign up, yep losing players when you get promoted is something that could happen, alternatively should make it a hell of Lot easier to attract players who want to play a better standard of footy. Alternatively many club should lose players when they get demoted. So can’t win!!
Aflq can’t predict who is going to do what over a summer before putting together comps/fixtures. Not logical. Blocker and co have 4 more months to find plAyers. I would suggest div 1 footy was a goal for this footy club in 2018. What if yeronga want to go down? What happens then? Put it out to Ipswich who might say “nah we reckon we are a good chance to play in another GF, try to win a premiership”.
Bottom line no one is entitled to success and often battling in a tougher comp can really be a good thing. Who says that there won’t be a side worse than them in it? Stay up, build a bit more, better in 2020.

AFLQ can’t go interviewing every club in November to work out whether they are in the right comp

(Log in to remove this ad.)

might work for established clubs, but there are many clubs involved here that are in their infancy with a revolving door of players

Yeah respectfully disagree with you both. Everyone knows the ground rules when they sign up, yep losing players when you get promoted is something that could happen, alternatively should make it a hell of Lot easier to attract players who want to play a better standard of footy. Alternatively many club should lose players when they get demoted. So can’t win!!
Aflq can’t predict who is going to do what over a summer before putting together comps/fixtures. Not logical. Blocker and co have 4 more months to find plAyers. I would suggest div 1 footy was a goal for this footy club in 2018. What if yeronga want to go down? What happens then? Put it out to Ipswich who might say “nah we reckon we are a good chance to play in another GF, try to win a premiership”.
Bottom line no one is entitled to success and often battling in a tougher comp can really be a good thing. Who says that there won’t be a side worse than them in it? Stay up, build a bit more, better in 2020.

AFLQ can’t go interviewing every club in November to work out whether they are in the right comp

SMY whilst it's very easy sitting in a club that has been established to make these statements. If the league were fair dinkum about promotion/relegation then Div 1 winner should be going up and Sandgate coming down. That's the way it works in Melbourne. You don't stop at a second tier.

We approached the League before a ball was bounced in 2018 and said win, lose or draw we are no where near ready or established enough to go to Div 1 should we win the premiership.

We had already done the right thing by the League in jumping from Division 3 to Division 2 and just wanted to get it out there from the start.

We are standing our ground as we do not want to ruin our club based on senseless decisions at Headquarters. They have given us an ultimatum we either compete in Div 1 or we go back to Div 5 and start again.

So they are happy for any team to have reserves get beat by 200+ and seniors 100+ just because they are the rules.

It is beyond arrogance and stupidity. But it just shows AFLQ have lost touch with what goes on at club land.

And to make it worse Beenleigh will be offered to go up if we pull out. And more than likely Ipswich will be offered to go from Div 3 to Div 2.

So then they furk our club up and maybe a few others as well.

That will just about do me.

SMY whilst it's very easy sitting in a club that has been established to make these statements. If the league were fair dinkum about promotion/relegation then Div 1 winner should be going up and Sandgate coming down. That's the way it works in Melbourne. You don't stop at a second tier.

We approached the League before a ball was bounced in 2018 and said win, lose or draw we are no where near ready or established enough to go to Div 1 should we win the premiership.

We had already done the right thing by the League in jumping from Division 3 to Division 2 and just wanted to get it out there from the start.

We are standing our ground as we do not want to ruin our club based on senseless decisions at Headquarters. They have given us an ultimatum we either compete in Div 1 or we go back to Div 5 and start again.

So they are happy for any team to have reserves get beat by 200+ and seniors 100+ just because they are the rules.

It is beyond arrogance and stupidity. But it just shows AFLQ have lost touch with what goes on at club land.

And to make it worse Beenleigh will be offered to go up if we pull out. And more than likely Ipswich will be offered to go from Div 3 to Div 2.

So then they furk our club up and maybe a few others as well.

That will just about do me.
I've been in that position mate.
Told stay up or go to Friday nite footy.
We didn't even play in a gf the year before.
Club had a choice.
Stay in div one and most likely forfit a few games which would result in a three year ban.
Go to Friday nite and start all over again.
Plenty of discussion but only ever one result.
Like I said why do we put clubs to the wall without batting an eyelid.
Here's the real insult.
Your fees go to pay the same people who screw you over.
We must remember the clubs in qld are run by volunteers mum's and dad's.
When you make decisions that hurt clubs you lose them as well.
It's a long way back from Friday nite footy mate.
Kedron still in division three.
I just don't think qld footy can compare to Victoria.
Two different animals and I'll argue that all day.
Good luck with your discussions but your either going to struggle big time or be playing under lights.
Both options not good for your club.

I really don't understand the amount of money being thrown around at div 2/3 players anyway,

To many clubs trying to purchase success instead of building/creating it, not directing this statement at any particular club but the mercs running around shifting clubs for the highest pay check is what seems to be causing such issues.

Lose a flag or two and the first response is to go and get more money, not a sustainable model, players are there for the cash not the jumper.

Additionally, you recruit and spend to get the success and actually achieve it, only to realise you don't have the supporting structures underneath to retain or maintain any of it.

These clubs claiming success etc.. , go and tell your list they will be playing for the jumper this year and not the cash and see how many are still on the track next week.

#culturefirst

Exactly. Blocker might be surprised by this, but I respect Park Ridge if they have admitted they are not ready for Div 1, as I would agree.

They need to wait until the points system is in before they heavily enforce relegation and promotion because at the moment, if you win Div 2 or 3 you are at huge risk of losing players who just want to stay in the Division they are already in. Especially with the amount of musical chairs in lower level footy these days, players have mates and connections at clubs all over the place and there is next to no loyalty at all.

Park Ridge win Div 2, lose their bottom end to blokes wanting to stay in Div 2 and some of their top youth potentially to academies and QAFL clubs - and they go into Div 1 the following year with half their Premiership side missing when playing at a level several rungs above where they came from. Just doesn't make sense.

Not much fun heading up the Sunny Coast 3 times to lose 2 games by 200 points total, could set them back 2 or 3 years, not just one year.

You can't structurally change the competition to enforce promotion and relegation, when the structure of the competition makes it so incredibly easy for players to be poached and switch clubs on a regular basis. I hope when they bring the points in, the 2 point penalty for poaching players from the same competition still applies to players poached from the outgoing premier or spooner.

Fan you make to much sense mate. Whilst we are sending our three best kids from our seniors to QAFL ranks as that is the right thing to do by them and their development.

It is definitely at the detriment of our seniors and it doesn't help with retirements and players moving on either. I totally get this happens to every club. But I think as a club if we realise this and want to stay in a division that as it sits now in Div 2 we would be bottom half. I think if we are paying $20K a year to play in and a stakeholder of the competition, we deserve that right.

AFLQ bend the rules to suit themselves everytime they need to, so why can't they do this when clubs have a legitimate reason.

I get that people say we won a flag so go up and cop your medicine. But we made the League well aware of our position before start of last year. And does it really help the competition when you have a team getting belted every week let alone the club.

We have a local council about to spend $30M on a new facility for 2020. There is no way they will support us if we getting beat by 200 points every week. Nor will we have any players to play out of a new facility in 2020 if we getting whacked every week.

I have had a gutful of the lack of respect shown to our club for trying to be vigilant and protect our brand. We are trying to let our club grow and develop, Why not be allowed to stay in a competition where we can be competitive. I understand from Beenleigh, Cooly, Kenmore, Robina and Bond they have all recruited well so we will be in bottom half anyway.

So the League's way out is we go to Div 5 with one team so who does that help. I think pretty senseless considering we are in biggest growth corridor in SEQ.

I really don't understand the amount of money being thrown around at div 2/3 players anyway,

To many clubs trying to purchase success instead of building/creating it, not directing this statement at any particular club but the mercs running around shifting clubs for the highest pay check is what seems to be causing such issues.

Lose a flag or two and the first response is to go and get more money, not a sustainable model, players are there for the cash not the jumper.

Additionally, you recruit and spend to get the success and actually achieve it, only to realise you don't have the supporting structures underneath to retain or maintain any of it.

These clubs claiming success etc.. , go and tell your list they will be playing for the jumper this year and not the cash and see how many are still on the track next week.

#culturefirst
Yes your right on all accounts.
The only true way to build is by developing over time.
When blokes in div three are getting more money than qafl players.
That's a real concern givin most of them wouldn't cut it in qafl.
But it's allowed to happen.

People wonder why no one takes Qld footy seriously. Powers above are really stuffing things up.

Pirates have asked to stay in div 2 due to all off field dramas.

They have been told that they either go to Div 1 or start again with one side in Div 5.

Beenleigh have put their hand up to go up but League won't allow them to go up and Pirates stay in Div 2.

So if Pirates decide not to go to Div 1 and they take the Div 5 option, the League will then ask Beenleigh to go up to Div 1. After initially saying they weren’t to be going up.

Make sense of that.

Last edited:
Fan you make to much sense mate. Whilst we are sending our three best kids from our seniors to QAFL ranks as that is the right thing to do by them and their development.

It is definitely at the detriment of our seniors and it doesn't help with retirements and players moving on either. I totally get this happens to every club. But I think as a club if we realise this and want to stay in a division that as it sits now in Div 2 we would be bottom half. I think if we are paying $20K a year to play in and a stakeholder of the competition, we deserve that right.

AFLQ bend the rules to suit themselves everytime they need to, so why can't they do this when clubs have a legitimate reason.

I get that people say we won a flag so go up and cop your medicine. But we made the League well aware of our position before start of last year. And does it really help the competition when you have a team getting belted every week let alone the club.

We have a local council about to spend $30M on a new facility for 2020. There is no way they will support us if we getting beat by 200 points every week. Nor will we have any players to play out of a new facility in 2020 if we getting whacked every week.

I have had a gutful of the lack of respect shown to our club for trying to be vigilant and protect our brand. We are trying to let our club grow and develop, Why not be allowed to stay in a competition where we can be competitive. I understand from Beenleigh, Cooly, Kenmore, Robina and Bond they have all recruited well so we will be in bottom half anyway.

So the League's way out is we go to Div 5 with one team so who does that help. I think pretty senseless considering we are in biggest growth corridor in SEQ.

Andy, Dauth Park is also a site for a Logan Council upgrade and I doubt any of the 4 precincts will be done in years.

And for the record there has been No correspondence between QAFL and the Buffs. So not sure where this has come from.

interesting given only last year, 2 x Div 5 clubs went to Div4 and the bottom div 4 club who didn't win a game stayed in Div 4.

So the rules are rules, or not rules?
The rules are the rules untill they are not the rules.
But the people who enforce the rules are the same ones who bend the rules.
So the rules can be very confusing at times.
But unfortunately thats the rules.
Hope that clears it up for you.

Andy, Dauth Park is also a site for a Logan Council upgrade and I doubt any of the 4 precincts will be done in years.

And for the record there has been No correspondence between QAFL and the Buffs. So not sure where this has come from.

Our precinct Rosia road will cater for us and 8 wheeled sports. Funding for design was approved early in year and in May we get final design brief.

We well on track for 2020 I assure you, but the AFL part could easily be removed. We have over 100K houses being built in Park Ridge region in next 3-5 years.

I'm sure there has been conversations with Buffs and I'm sure League will be asking them to go up if we decide as a club to drop back to Div 5.

It will be 10 years of my time wasted building a club from nothing with some cracking people. Has really opened my eyes up how incompetent the people involved at Headquarters really are. They would not survive in private enterprise hence why they have have public servant attitude.

Remove this Banner Ad

QFA Div 2 North

Remove this Banner Ad

Back