Unofficial Preview Qualifying Final, Saturday 7th September 2019, 7.25pm. v Tigers @ Gabba.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Why we will beat Richmond - Players who will lift and make the difference

McCarthy
- had a very quiet game in Round 23. Expecting him to get among it this week
Gardiner - had a nightmare first quarter, before getting on top of Riewoldt. Expecting Darcy to be fired up.
Cameron - Plenty to prove this week after the Umpires let Grimes get away with absolute murder last game. A bag is looming.
Berry - A quiet game. Was second to a few too many contests.
Christensen - Comes in for Cox and hopefully comes in firing.
Lyons - after a massive game and a match winning final quarter against Geelong, Lyons was quiet in the last game.
Martin - Got beaten last match. It wont happen twice in a row.
Rayner - Showed glimpses against Richmond and was hard at it. If ever there was time for a "breakout" game, it is this week.
Rich - Another star player who appeared rushed at times and under the pump in the final home and away game..
Adams - Got carved up by Riewoldt in the first quarter, but in his defence, his opponent was getting perfect delivery out of the middle. Expect a different assignment this week.
McStay - Had a shocker against Richmond last game, even by his standards. Needs to lead, hold a mark inside 50 and kick straight. Could be dropped, but if not, has to get back to his best in terms of applying forward pressure.
Hipwood - Tried his guts out against Richmond last time and I am expecting him to be fired up and to get reward on the scoreboard.
Answerth - Got brushed aside too much against Richmond last game. Needs to stick his tackles.
Bailey - We need him to improve his run out of defence.

LIONS BY 32 Points

Last edited:
Oscar McInerney to Full Forward, playing out of the goal square. That would stretch Richmond. McStay pinch hitting in the ruck.

Lynch makes a good point. Although we were outmatched in the first half last week, we ran pretty even with them in the second half (4.3 to 4.4). We've been known for being a big third quarter team this year, I wonder if it's because of the inexperience of the boys, they take half a game to really settle and pinpoint the opponent's weaknesses. I'm confident we'll have learned enough to rise above the Tigers this week, it'll certainly be easier at home.

I'd take a loss if it meant we won the premiership. Squiggle doesn't lie.

If we lose the premiership to a team like Richmond there is no shame. We are just entering our window whereas you're in your prime.

If you lose though...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It wouldn't have been - the AFL can, have and will allocate uneven numbers to members of the clubs. They just chose not to in this case.
Do you know that the AFL allocated the same ticket numbers to each team? They may have just let it be first in first served but I would doubt 15k tiger members would be heading north to Brisbane, especially as airlines are ripping off supporters with outrageous fare prices.
When I logged onto Ticketmaster I was not asked if I was a Tigers or Lions member. I think you'll find no more than 6-7 k of Tigers will front at the Gabba. I think the majority of tickets will be in the hands of Lions members.

Hi lions fans. Good luck this weekend, reckon and hoping you can win it. Ive never been to the GABBA, but am due in Brisbane that weekend on other family matters and will be at the game if it is indeed on. Having lived remote WA for years and now country QLD I dont get to the footy often.. Better yet, my mob will be there if they can keep winning. Pumped up - go lions!!

AFL finals form guide 2019:
BRISBANE LIONS (2nd, 16-6, 118.3%)

Past five games:
4-1 (lost to Richmond by 27 points, def Geelong by 1 point, def Gold Coast by 91 points, def Western Bulldogs by 18 points, def Hawthorn by 27 points)

Recent form at the Gabba: 5-0 (def Geelong by 1 point, def Gold Coast by 91 points, def Western Bulldogs by 18 points, def North Melbourne by 12 points, def Melbourne by 33 points)

Greatest strength: Forward half game

The Lions have completely rebuilt their forward line in 2019, with Charlie Cameron rewarded for his outstanding team at the All-Australian awards night on Wednesday. His 54 goals has gone a long way to pushing the Lions up the ladder, as well as the buy in from the entire forward line. The Lions are No. 1 for points scored from their forward half (51.1) and are No. 2 for time in forward half differential. To beat Brisbane, your defence needs to be able hold down the fort and avoid the dam wall from breaking.

Greatest weakness: Offensive contests

For all their strengths in the forward half, the Lions do have a number of deficiencies that can allow them to be scored against. They are the worst in the competition for their win-rate in one-on-one offensive contests and have the third-worst win-rate at taking a mark from an offensive contest. Marcus Adams and Harris Andrews will certainly have their work cut out against Richmond.

In hot form: Mitch Robinson

As he wrote in an exclusive column for foxfooty.com.au, Robinson has had to learn a number of new roles this season and has lifted at the pointy end of the year. He has increased his output in the final month of the season, lifting from 89.4 ranking points (Round 1-18) to 111.9 in the final five games of 2019.

Needs a September spike: Lincoln McCarthy

The former Cat was a revelation in the opening two months of the year, impressing with four goals in his first match for the club. But McCarthy has dropped off dramatically ahead of finals, dropping his ranking points to just 55.1 from Round 19-23. Coming into this year, he had only played more than five AFL games in a season on one occasion, suggesting maybe he is in need of a rest — which the bye round before finals should help him find his spark again.

RICHMOND (3rd, 16-6, 113.7%)

Past five games:
5-0 (def Brisbane by 27 points, def West Coast by 6 points, def Carlton by 28 points, def Melbourne by 33 points, def Collingwood by 32 points)

Recent form at the Gabba: 5-0 (def Brisbane by 52 points [2017], by 79 points [2015], by 43 points [2014], by 48 points [2012], by 31 points [2011])

Greatest strength: Turnover game

When Richmond is really humming, their turnover and forward handball game is elite. Most importantly, they make opposition teams turn the ball over at crucial points, with the Tigers No. 1 for scores from their intercepts. They are ranked No. 2 in the AFL for intercept possessions, with Dylan Grimes one of the key winners from turnovers in their back-half.

Greatest weakness: Stoppages

Dustin Martin started 2019 slowly, while losing Trent Cotchin and Kane Lambert at crucial points of the year hasn’t helped their weaknesses. It means the Tigers are ranked 16th for clearance differential, -5.1 per match. It is the worst of any finalist and Richmond are one of only five sides to be in the negative across the competition.

In hot form: Shane Edwards

Edwards is flying in September after moving back into the midfield following spending time across half back during the year. He has lifted his ranking points from 78.0 to 104.3 in the final month of the season, standing out in their biggest game of the year, against West Coast in Round 22.

Needs a September spike: Brandon Ellis

It could be the final time we see Ellis run out in a Richmond jumper, given the free agent is attracting interest from a number of rival clubs. After being left out of their 2018 finals campaign, Ellis started the season exceptionally well, dominating with 35 disposals against Hawthorn. But with just 14 touches in two of his games in the last month of the year, his average ranking points have dived from 90.5 to 76.2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back