Prediction Queens Birthday Game: Pre-Game Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He just had a bad game. They are professional athletes, unless they are injured, they aren't tired.

He wasn't 8 months ago. Does being a professional athlete mean you don't get tired, anyway? Club's routinely rest players...

And didn't I just read some garbage post from you about Daniel Wells not being unfit, it's just that he's 33 years old?

I reckon Stephenson will get left out before Daicos this week. Think the extended run has caught up with him. 5 disposals, 3 clangers is a poor return. He has been good, but Daicos had a better showing today

I called for Stephenson to be rested after a similar performance earlier this year then the next week he kicked 5. It's a possibility he's dropped but if he's good to go the kid is pretty solid.

I called for Stephenson to be rested after a similar performance earlier this year then the next week he kicked 5. It's a possibility he's dropped but if he's good to go the kid is pretty solid.

With Varcoe out, I think both him and Daicos will play, but he's bordering on being dropped. Think he plays more so due to the fact we are generally a pretty slow team so his pace is obviously extremely valuable.

With Varcoe out, I think both him and Daicos will play, but he's bordering on being dropped. Think he plays more so due to the fact we are generally a pretty slow team so his pace is obviously extremely valuable.

His pace is great and he's very one touch, especially in front of the sticks. It seems to me one of our medium talls pops up each week - who knows who it will be each week.

It's a difficult week for changes because there are no obvious like for likes. I reckon we will need to match the Demons intensity in midfield and have players who can work through the pressure. And that may play into the selection decision. I reckon it'll be:

IN: Howe OUT: Daicos

Daicos had minimal minutes on the wing amd only a minor contribution forward. I reckon they'll go with Maynes pressure and conservative but safe ball movement. I reckon Greenwood is safe but will play a run with perhaps on Brayshaw.

Other selection options are Murray and Brown. I cant see Murray dislodge any of Crisp, Maynard or Appleby. Brown is a serious long shot but is competing with Mayne, Greenwood or Daicos for a role so less competition.

He wasn't 8 months ago. Does being a professional athlete mean you don't get tired, anyway? Club's routinely rest players...

And didn't I just read some garbage post from you about Daniel Wells not being unfit, it's just that he's 33 years old?
Bored Pie posts a lot of knee jerk off the cuff crap.*

*possibly out of frustration.....not uncommon amongst Pies supporters.

Last edited:
I'm not convinced we'll drop Stephenson. We've got an 8 day break and last time he had a quiet game he came out and kicked 5 against Adelaide for his Rising Star nomination.

Reckon Reid should stay out, especially if he's only touch and go. That would give him 3 weeks off in a row before he can get himself going again.

I think Daicos and Greenwood are on the block and Howe is the only one worthy of coming back in*

* didn't catch the VFL or see any stats yet, so apologies to Murray and any others who may have performed.

No change if Howe doesnt come up, otherwise hes in for Appleby. The club has consistently gone like for like with their ins and outs so it stands to reason a defender goes out for a defender. Appleby might have been dropped this week anyway for Maynard except for Howes injury.

Cant see why we'd rest Stephenson given a bye is coming up. Daicos should be afforded the same luxury of extended game time that Crocker got so gets at least another week.

In: Howe
Out: Daicos/Appleby

I am 95% confident Howe will be fine to play. cant see any other changes. Don't really want Reid back in as I want to see more of Mihocek.

I’m with you, they are the biggest bunch of flogs so far up themselves drinking their own bath water over the last 2 weeks. Talking premierships at this time of the year, FFS ... seriously? They are due for a loss and are ripe for the picking as we all know what happens when the Dees get ahead of themselves, round 23 2017 ring any bells :think:

I'm sure internally melb won't have this attitude, they're thinking week by week as we are. I'm more than certain they're wary of us, we're a chance to win no doubt but I'm more than certain that the committee and the coaching panel are more interested in the way we play rather than the win at this point of the season.

No change if Howe doesnt come up, otherwise hes in for Appleby. The club has consistently gone like for like with their ins and outs so it stands to reason a defender goes out for a defender. Appleby might have been dropped this week anyway for Maynard except for Howes injury.

Cant see why we'd rest Stephenson given a bye is coming up. Daicos should be afforded the same luxury of extended game time that Crocker got so gets at least another week.

Just thinking about it after reading your post, surely Greenwood would go out before Appleby? If he's not tagging that is. My view is Greenwood should say hello to Clayton Oliver at the first bounce and never leave his side, but if he's a defender, he has to go. Can't really kick and doesn't have great pace.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just thinking about it after reading your post, surely Greenwood would go out before Appleby? If he's not tagging that is. My view is Greenwood should say hello to Clayton Oliver at the first bounce and never leave his side, but if he's a defender, he has to go. Can't really kick and doesn't have great pace.

Possible but Greenwood has more versatility than Appleby. Can spend time in the defesivve rotations but also play higher up the ground and tag if required. Melbourne are a very physical side. With Howe back hopefully our best back six is on the park (Shaz Dunn Crisp Langdon Howe Maynard) and then Greenwood is number seven. Just makes more sense to me that way.

Possible but Greenwood has more versatility than Appleby. Can spend time in the defesivve rotations but also play higher up the ground and tag if required. Melbourne are a very physical side. With Howe back hopefully our best back six is on the park (Shaz Dunn Crisp Langdon Howe Maynard) and then Greenwood is number seven. Just makes more sense to me that way.

If Howe comes in and Appleby stays that's a pretty good back 7: Dunn, Howe, Crisp, Scharenberg, Langdon, Maynard and Appleby. Then we can move Greenwood out of defense and make him a defensive forward maybe on Jetta. Greenwood was very good forward a few years ago. Good in the air and good in front of goals. Plus like you say we can send him for a negating role on Brayshaw or similar if needed - gives us some flexibility.

I understand wanting to give Daicos a run but this game is too important.

Last edited:
If Reid is available we will have a big problem.
I daresay our forward line will function better with Reid and Mihocek compared to Cox.

Both can find the ball in space or on lead, both are pretty accurate kicks for goal and importantly have penetration in their kicking.

Cox going up in marking contests with one hand constantly, his lack of kicking penetration and his lack of scoreboard impact could hinder us moving forward

Why the calls for Daics to be dropped? I thought he was alright today.

In: Howe
Out: Greenwood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back