Prediction Queens Birthday Game: Pre-Game Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not too concerned on Wells to be honest. From what BT was saying, it sounds like he is in the middle of getting himself properly match fit for after the bye.

I don't mind the fact he has played against a couple of the poorer sides in doing so, as even a 70% Wells is probably better than Callum Brown, etc.

Reckon if the heat went on yesterday he would've stepped it up a notch, but it didn't come. Suspect this week he'll prepare himself for a big game...

Provided he doesn't pull out with heel blisters!

I'm not too concerned on Wells to be honest. From what BT was saying, it sounds like he is in the middle of getting himself properly match fit for after the bye.

I don't mind the fact he has played against a couple of the poorer sides in doing so, as even a 70% Wells is probably better than Callum Brown, etc.

Reckon if the heat went on yesterday he would've stepped it up a notch, but it didn't come. Suspect this week he'll prepare himself for a big game...

Provided he doesn't pull out with heel blisters!

I've formed the view that whatever we get from Wells from now on is a bonus.

Given he's lacking continuity in his footy, it was no surprise to see him a little off the pace yesterday - in racing parlance, he'll be better for the run.

Wells is a nice little bonus for the 2nd half of the year.

I think we've managed him well since finally returning. He'll play 2 weeks on, have a week off, then 2 weeks on and then the bye.

He doesn't look at his peak, but I think by the end of the bye, he'll be back approaching full fitness and he'll be primed for a good 2nd half of the year.

He wasn't great yesterday, but a few little knock ons and disposals had a big impact. I think he is building ok.

Howe for Mayne.
While Mayne has played better then expected, we do have other options in his position. Appleby has done ok, would leave him in to help with the rotations.
Cannot see Reid getting up so there are not to many other changes to be made.

Out : Mayne
In : Howe

Hard to make changes this week but Howe if fit must come in, Mayne has been good and played his role but now is the time for him to go.

If Reid is fit wow thats gonna be interesting as someone said earlier Mihocek and Reid would be more suited than Cox but who helps out in the RUCK!!

Wells stays in he can turn it on and win a game for us.

Good problems to have

At this stage we're all trying to figure out who should make way for Howe, which means that many of us will look to omit whichever player displeases us the most. Mayne should be in the firing line, but yesterday's poor showing will likely be stacked against his few weeks of decent footy. So who goes?

For me it is Greenwood. He did some decent things yesterday, and I like his efforts/intensity, but these are not enough to justify his position in defence. Appleby has some wobbly moments, but his one-on-one ability and defensive nous more generally are qualities we need more of.

In summary, I don't know what the **** is going to happen. I didn't think Greenwood was offering anywhere near enough at VFL to justify his selection to seniors, and the match committee disagreed with me on that and they'll likely disagree with me now as well. I guess they see things differently to me, which is probably for the best... In any case I'll just be relieved to have Howe back in the side.

At this stage we're all trying to figure out who should make way for Howe, which means that many of us will look to omit whichever player displeases us the most. Mayne should be in the firing line, but yesterday's poor showing will likely be stacked against his few weeks of decent footy. So who goes?

For me it is Greenwood. He did some decent things yesterday, and I like his efforts/intensity, but these are not enough to justify his position in defence. Appleby has some wobbly moments, but his one-on-one ability and defensive nous more generally are qualities we need more of.

In summary, I don't know what the **** is going to happen. I didn't think Greenwood was offering anywhere near enough at VFL to justify his selection to seniors, and the match committee disagreed with me on that and they'll likely disagree with me now as well. I guess they see things differently to me, which is probably for the best... In any case I'll just be relieved to have Howe back in the side.

I agree with this, but I think Greenwood has been given the bigger jobs in the past fortnight and probably has a few more strings to his bow given his ability to tag players.

I reckon Appleby will make way.

I agree with this, but I think Greenwood has been given the bigger jobs in the past fortnight and probably has a few more strings to his bow given his ability to tag players.

I reckon Appleby will make way.

I just dunno, so you could be right...just my gut is telling me (a) to eat less spicy food and (b) that Appleby is defensively ahead of Greenwood. Just thinking now, though, Greenwood is a bigger/more experienced body, so this might count in his favour when the match committee weigh things up for the Dees.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Greenwood stays and plays a negating role, I wouldn’t mind throwing Howe up onto a wing early and send him back if needed. Glad Mayne has given us something but might give him a rest this week. Apples for Mayne will most likely happen.

Maybe, but to my eye, he looks really tired

I was surprised today when I read he only had 5 possessions.

His leading for no reward and also his runs to pressure the opposition should NOT be underestimated.

He plays Monday IMO.

I think with Lever going down we must try and stretch the Dees backline, Reid needs to come up almost as much as Howe does for mine. This may mean the Demons don't have the luxury of Tom Mac playing up forward for them and he will need to play down back to stop our talls.

Greenwood stays for mine, has experience and may get under the skin of a Nathan Jones, Jack Viney type or even play a role and stop Oliver. I would also try and get Murray back in, probably our biggest game thus far this season let him run and carry on the big stage we will need come September if we play finals.

IN: Reid, Howe & Murray
OUT: Mayne, Daicos & Apples (None have done anything wrong just we have good depth right now)

I can't see Appleby getting dropped, does the 1%'ers that Bucks would love.

Hopefully Howe is fit and will certainly come in for 1 of Mayne/Greenwood/Stephenson/Daicos
For the record i don't want Stephenson or Daicos to miss.

Win this game and keep the list reasonably fit, we should play finals.
At this stage i have us winning between 12 and 14 games.

Excuse me? Josh thomas dropped? 20 touches, 5 tackles and 2 goals not good enough for you?

He is our 2nd highest goal kicker and 20th in the AFL.

I’d love for you to elaborate further.

2 goals right place right time both fed

Good finishes yes but put on a plate 1 from wells where he left it for the champ and got released

Point out 20 touches didn't save brown

His last 2 weeks have been a bit meh
Not very creative
Imo Needs a run on the ball extended in the twos

Going well

Freo wasn't it

I think with Lever going down we must try and stretch the Dees backline, Reid needs to come up almost as much as Howe does for mine. This may mean the Demons don't have the luxury of Tom Mac playing up forward for them and he will need to play down back to stop our talls.

Greenwood stays for mine, has experience and may get under the skin of a Nathan Jones, Jack Viney type or even play a role and stop Oliver. I would also try and get Murray back in, probably our biggest game thus far this season let him run and carry on the big stage we will need come September if we play finals.

IN: Reid, Howe & Murray
OUT: Mayne, Daicos & Apples (None have done anything wrong just we have good depth right now)

Frost or Pederson the most likely replacements for Lever, doubt they'll even consider T McDonald into defence.

W

We don't have a natural match up for him - he's either too quick, too strong or both for out taller backs to cover one on one.

We'll have to rely on good pressure on the ball carrier coming into F50 and some team defence with Howe or Langdon going second man up as much as possible when they kick it to Hogan.

Having said all that it's their midfield I'm more worried about - Grundy needs to at least break even with Gawn and our mids need to play both ways or their midfield will carve us up.

The thing that people are overlooking here is they have a lot more firepower then we do, so one of our patented 20-30 minute lapses in intensity will see us down by 5-6 goals minimum (if not more) if that happens next week.

Now for the changes:

Appleby plays the role of dour defender pretty well and I can't see him being dropped.

Nobody else at VFL level has been putting their hand up in recent weeks and that includes Murray who hasn't exactly been setting the world on fire - as much as his dash would be a nice addition off half back he still needs to show a bit of form.

I think the only change will be Howe in for Daicos - Mayne has been performing the role Bucks wants out of him in recent weeks so I can't see him being dropped either, unless Bucks values Wills' as a quantity over quality proposition (and even then he isn't the sort of link man on the wing that we need).

I wouldn't describe Hogan as strong or fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back