Prediction Queens Birthday Game: Pre-Game Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone else think Wells played well within in himself. I got the impression he didn’t want to ever go flat out and seemed tentative to go any more than 3/4 pace.

Bringing him in and out of the side probably throws him off a bit. Will be better next week for sure and I thought he still did some good things yesterday anyway.

Howe in for somebody.

Adams finding his game for us yesterday will help immensely around the stoppages.

Close first quarter and then we will pull away.

In: Howe
Out: Greenwood, Mayne or Langdon

People need to get off Appleby's case. Kid has done very little wrong since debuting.

Nobody is on his case but its not unreasonable to ask if hes best 22 when all six core defenders are in the side.....which hasnt happened since he was promoted and in fact is the reason he was promoted in the first place.

Nobody is on his case but its not unreasonable to ask if hes best 22 when all six core defenders are in the side.....which hasnt happened since he was promoted and in fact is the reason he was promoted in the first place.

So because he “only got in due to injury” that precludes him from keeping his spot despite doing more than enough to keep it?

Outside a few errant kicks here and there (like he’s the only one), he’s done more than enough to keep his spot in a position we’ve long lacked depth in.

So because he “only got in due to injury” that precludes him from keeping his spot despite doing more than enough to keep it?

Outside a few errant kicks here and there (like he’s the only one), he’s done more than enough to keep his spot in a position we’ve long lacked depth in.

Nobody is on his case is my point.

Quite valid arguments to keep him (hasnt put a foot wrong) just as there are quite valid arguments that with Howe back hes surplus to needs and team balance means he should be the one to make way.

Nobody is on his case is my point.

Quite valid arguments to keep him (hasnt put a foot wrong) just as there are quite valid arguments that with Howe back hes surplus to needs and team balance means he should be the one to make way.

I would have thought Langdon was the more like for like and hasn't been as good in his role as Appleby has in his.

I would have thought Langdon was the more like for like and hasn't been as good in his role as Appleby has in his.

I’m as staunch a critic of Langdon as anyone, but there’s no way you can justify that comment. Langdon is just a plain old better footballer than Appleby right now and it would be a terrible error on behalf of the match committee to go Appleby > Langdon.

Langdon is an automatic selection.

Our best back six is Crisp Dunn Howe Langdon Scharenberg and Maynard and they have been our clear best six barring injury pretty much since round one.

Time will tell whether Appleby or Greenwood is the seventh player in that back six rotation or whether they sent Maynard further upfield to make room for Appleby to stay in that core six.

Id rather keep Greenwood because hes bigger stronger and more multi dimensional than Appleby. A much better fit to play the Demons.

I’m as staunch a critic of Langdon as anyone, but there’s no way you can justify that comment. Langdon is just a plain old better footballer than Appleby right now and it would be a terrible error on behalf of the match committee to go Appleby > Langdon.

Our best back six is Crisp Dunn Howe Langdon Scharenberg and Maynard and they have been our clear best six barring injury pretty much since round one.

Time will tell whether Appleby or Greenwood is the seventh player in that back six rotation or whether they sent Maynard further upfield to make room for Appleby to stay in that core six.

Id rather keep Greenwood because hes bigger stronger and more multi dimensional than Appleby. A much better fit to play the Demons.

I don't get it...why?

Langdon, Scharenberg and Howe are all basically the same player of varying abilities. Appleby is arguably our only actual lock down, 1 on 1 defender that regularly beats his opponent.

It's puzzling to see people so easily and dismissively put his name up for omission despite him playing his role perfectly in a position we lack depth in.

Langdon isn't fast enough to play small, not big enough to play tall and....takes a few intercept marks here and there? Something Howe is far better at? So why would Howe not just come in for Langdon allowing our backline to look a little more versatile and flexible as opposed to 5 or 6 of the same type/size player?

Ive changed my mind and leaning towards keeping Greenwood as we need someone with strength to go with Melksham.

I don't get it...why?

Langdon, Scharenberg and Howe are all basically the same player of varying abilities. Appleby is arguably our only actual lock down, 1 on 1 defender that regularly beats his opponent.

It's puzzling to see people so easily and dismissively put his name up for omission despite him playing his role perfectly in a position we lack depth in.

Langdon isn't fast enough to play small, not big enough to play tall and....takes a few intercept marks here and there? Something Howe is far better at? So why would Howe not just come in for Langdon allowing our backline to look a little more versatile and flexible as opposed to 5 or 6 of the same type/size player?

IMO, you don’t get it for the same reason you believed yesterday was a 50/50 once Howe went out.

The three combined are greater than the sum of the parts. They’ve established a chemistry that allows others to play a certain way (even Appleby) and their combined ability to peel off to intercept is carrying our defensive group currently. Sure I want Tom to have the urgency of his brother and to grow a brain (that throw was another stupid play), but even without those two traits he remains a more versatile option for our defensive group than Appleby and Greenwood.

It’s also that added size that works in our favour with 5 blokes 190cm or more back there it’s a deceptively tall group yet we haven’t been burned by smalls this year aside from Brisbane and Richmond. Guess who missed those two matches?

Were it left to me it’s easy we take in the extra defender, but in an Appleby v Langdon contest you are going to have a hard time convincing people that your POV is accurate. I’d also add that Scharenberg was clearly worse than Langdon yesterday and I am concerned with him against McDonald so he’d be more likely in the gun, IMO.

Will have to wait for the injury update, but sounds like Howe will be right but Reid probably not. Doubt there is much at VFL level after the big loss, so I only foresee the one change being Howe in for Appleby.

Appleby hasn't done much wrong, but someone has to make way for Howe, and I guarantee you it won't be Langdon. It's really a choice between Greenwood or Appleby, and I think Greenwood has the runs on the board, and the obvious ability to play midfield and tag if need be.

If Reid is available, I hope we don't drop Mihocek. Not sure whose spot Reid would take other than Mayne...but his defensive pressure has been good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They'll have to pay the invigilators double time and a half. Seems silly holding an exam on a public holiday.

Some universities only recognise national rather than local/State holidays. I remember doing an exam at Caulfield racecourse on Melbourne Cup day, which felt a bit odd.

Anyone else think Wells played well within in himself. I got the impression he didn’t want to ever go flat out and seemed tentative to go any more than 3/4 pace.

Sprinted from HF to CHB in the last quarter trying to catch a Freo player who had a massive head start, closed the gap markedly. Shows he was going hard when he needed to and late into the game as well. Certainly wasn't as clean as you'd expect, will be better for the run you'd hope.

Doubt there will be too many changes this week, we don't have the cattle.

Brown, Wills, Murphy and Blair seem to have been the shining lights at VFL level but did they do enough to force a player out of a team that won by 10 goals... doubt it.

Howe is an automatic inclusion if fit. I'd happily allow Reid the extra week but if fit he probably gets selected. Not sure for who and what it'll do to the structure. Given Mihocek's performance, he isn't going anywhere.

Under the pump will be Stephenson, Greenwood, Mayne and Daicos.

Stepho's pressure was good but you need to get more than 5 possessions and can little afford to not use the footy well if that's all you get. Might have enough credits to hold his spot.

Greenwood seems to be holding Howe's spot so is the obvious omission. Had a reasonable game so would be stiff to miss. Do we need to retain his physicality against the Dees?

Mayne has to do more off a wing. Thought he might really lift against his old side but it was a game of almost moments in many ways. Might be useful to play a defensive role on McDonald if he lines up on the wing.

Daic's started slowly (seems a commonplace thing with him at the moment) but built into the game well. Is that an experience thing or a sign that his best footy (at the moment) comes when the side is on top.

IN: Howe
OUT: Greenwood - he's stiff but Howe just better in that HB role.

Does anyone know why Bucks loves to start Treloar and Stephenson on the bench at the first bounce?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back