Question for fair dinkum Swans and Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 9, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Perth Wildcats basketball
I would love to hear from AFL Swans and Lions supporters on BF who live in their respective states and are serious footy fans, think about this expansion bussiness. Personally I'd hate it if I was a SWAN or a LION?
What do you folks want to happen?

I would love to hear from AFL Swans and Lions supporters on BF who live in their respective states and are serious footy fans, think about this expansion bussiness. Personally I'd hate it if I was a SWAN or a LION?

If it is well thought out and a decent ground is secured then i am all for it. People say that their isnt the support for a Western Sydney team and this may be true BUT people said that South Melbourne would never be successful in Sydney and those people were proven wrong (the competition wouldnt be as strong without Sydney in it). It may take many many years but a Western Sydney AFL CAN become successful.

The VFL/AFL made alot of mistakes with the Swans in the in the late 80's and early 90's but they have learned from those mistakes. The Western Sydney team wont have the problems which the Swans encountered.

I'm for it. I love the idea of a cross-town rival, and the publicity of a new team from Sydney entering the AFL could only be good for the code's exposure. It's not really a matter of whether there is enough support for it, because the entire idea is to GENERATE support with the team to begin with. Will it succeed? I would say so, eventually. Unless it is an absolute disaster, I can't see AD admitting defeat, and he'll keep pumping money into the WS side until it finds its feet.

Hopefully, the introduction of the WS team coincides with the end of the global economic crisis and the streets of Sydney are flowing with cash (comparatively) that can be spent on supporting that new GAYFL team everybody is talking about.

im for it, i think that there are too many bandwagoners in brisbane anyway, so an extra team, while possibly taking away support from the lions, would ultimately boost the profile of the code in qld, which is undeniably good for the game.

im for it, i think that there are too many bandwagoners in brisbane anyway, so an extra team, while possibly taking away support from the lions, would ultimately boost the profile of the code in qld, which is undeniably good for the game.

There are definitely a lot of bandwagoners in Brisbane. Although Brisbane is pretty spoilt; Reds, Broncos and the lions. Historically a Rugby union city there is definatelly some scope for a new AFL team up here. I really think the Gold Coast is going to become it's own City instead of a little brother to Brisbane. The Cross town rivallry will be immense, and us Queenslanders love rivallry.

Western Sydney are more working class than Eastern Sydney.
I live on the northen beaches and It's all NRL, even NRL doesn't have much support (manly sea eagles) so for Swans to do what they've done now is great.

Would be a good idea if it's a decent ground

I'm for it. I love the idea of a cross-town rival, and the publicity of a new team from Sydney entering the AFL could only be good for the code's exposure. It's not really a matter of whether there is enough support for it, because the entire idea is to GENERATE support with the team to begin with.

Likewise I'm all for a Western Sydney team too and am looking forward to the first of many local derbies. I see a second Sydney team as being beneficial to the Swans and the codes exposure in NSW long term. I dare say the same goes for Lions fans in QLD.

Happy to have the Coasters down the road, but I feel that in their efforts to avoid a Bears scenario, the AFL have gone too far in the other direction and have gone over the top in the draft concessions available.

A team earns soul by struggling, not being granted a flag in their infancy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last I went to a game in Sydney there were just 19,000 of us (5000 of which wore blue and white) for a final. A fair way to go until the current Sydney team is viable, much less a new one I would've thought.

On the other side of the country in Perth you can't actually go to a game of footy without having to buy a season ticket in November.

The rationale of the AFL in selecting where their new teams are going to be seems to be entirely based on fantasy rather than fact.

Expantion is way better than relocation, I wish they thought of it 25yrs ago instead of ripping the heart and soul out of South Melbourne!

I live on the Gold Coast and am a diehard Lions fan. I think GC17 is a now or never move with the success of the Titans and with the Galaxy coming to town theres only so much support to go round. If GC17 means more people on the Coast watch and have an interest in AFL then Im happy because every BBQ i get invited to has the Titans on the tele.

****! LOL! There's no way you were there. A few hundred roos fans tops. Not even your cheer squad rocked up.

there wasnt even 1000 roos supporters there, it was even published in both melbourne and sydney papers, but lets stick to topic...

Thanks folks ,more for, than against, I'm suprised, I'm still a doubter, I just don't see the numbers , maybe I'm wrong, the outcome will be interesting.

there wasnt even 1000 roos supporters there, it was even published in both melbourne and sydney papers, but lets stick to topic...
tell me about it, it was bad real bad
biggrin.gif

My big worry is that we may end up with two mediocre teams rather than one strong one. There is a huge amount of competition from other codes, and now we will also have the Galaxy on the Gold Coast. The Lions are looking for a new sponsor now that Vodafone have announced they will not renew after this season. A new stadium will take away funds from the Lions. AFL can't ground share with the other codes so it will virtually be a single use stadium.

I think I would rather see a Tassie team.

Last I went to a game in Sydney there were just 19,000 of us (5000 of which wore blue and white) for a final. A fair way to go until the current Sydney team is viable, much less a new one I would've thought.

On the other side of the country in Perth you can't actually go to a game of footy without having to buy a season ticket in November.

The rationale of the AFL in selecting where their new teams are going to be seems to be entirely based on fantasy rather than fact.

What would be the point of introducing a second team to Perth? All that would do is steal supporters from WC and Freo. The whole point of the second Sydney team is to convert LEAGUE supporters to AFL, not steal Swans supporters. The fact that only 19,000 people went to the final against you guys (and by the way, there is NO WAY you had 5,000 NM supporters. 1,000 at absolute tops) only means the need to expand is greater than ever.

Remove this Banner Ad

Question for fair dinkum Swans and Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back