Opinion Question for Victorians - Does it bother you not having a Vic team in the GF?

Does it bother you not having a Vic team in the GF?

• Yes

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • No

Votes: 56 98.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Of course not. Sheesh.

I really think the non-Victorian media/fan base have a lot invested in creating a myth of Victorians acting like Gollum, clinging to their precious VFL.

In all the Vic/non-Vic GFs I've witnessed as a neutral, the only time I barracked for a Victorian team was the Bulldogs in 2016.

In matchups like this week, I'll be swayed by the opinion that the Swans are the better team and I'm still bitter from the Prelim. So Sydney for me.

Last edited:
I obviously would rather the Pies play every year but apart from that one request, I couldn't care who plays.

I attend most GF's (and any finals at the G) as I have clients to keep happy.
Truth be known, I have more fun in the box when my own team isn't playing.

Vic team, non-Vic team, doesn't matter, I just want to see a good game.

It’s great actually.
Hopefully an entertaining contest.

It’s a really weak but even year but these two sides are clearly the best.

Not sure why those from non vic states think it’s such an issue.

Most vic supporters I know go for the interstate side in the GF if they are playing a VIC side that isn’t theirs.

All responses so far a unanimous no - so there’s your answer. NB my answer is no also, just want a good game.

My question is where does this myth come from, made up by interstate teams or is this a Herald Sun fairy tale people actually believe?

I with everyone else couldn't care less, the keep it in Victoria crowd are usually people that are 50+ and even then I think it's rare. For me I'm in my 30s and really have only known the AFL so have no feelings about the VFL. Having said that I'm more about equality, for example if it was the Bulldogs or saints that made the gf with a combined 3 premierships I would be happy to see them win as they've been starved of success, it would have nothing to do with the clubs being from Victoria. Same with Geelong in 07, they hadn't won since 63 so I was happy for them but they've had more than their fair share since so was very pleased with Brisbane getting up.

Going slightly off topic if it was and all western Australian gf I would want to see the game played in Perth.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes they all say that they don't want a rival Victorian team to win..... but perhaps the question is phrased wrongly. Victorians believe they are the centre of the universe when it comes to Australian Rules Football. When that notion is challenged, like it was back the early 2000s, Royal Commissions are set up, Collusion between the League, the Victorian Government, the MCC and the media are tweaked to pull in one direction. Ridiculous backdoor deals are made. Like the Gladitorial Games in Rome/modern day WWE, the AFL, backed by the Victorian Government to keep the Victorian masses subdued, so they can suffer through things like being locked up in their own houses for 12 months or more......

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Question for Victorians - Does it bother you not having a Vic team in the GF?

Back