Question for Ken Judge...

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't know but i suspect that they reason that Judge has never said anything publicly is that the eagles gave him a very generous payout when he was sacked but it would have had the improviso,

QUOTE]

my understanding is he is now outside the confidentiality clause

I would be surprised if their was an expiry date on the confidentiality clause. Especially since the eagles, when they drew up the agreement, would have known how explosive and damaging the material and knowledge that Judge would be leaving the club with was.

Injuries were Judges curse,No one would have picked out Cousins, that bright eyed beauty when he was the mums and daughters favorite, he was a movie star,his character was never seen let alone questioned but it became clear
down the track when his associates became visible. I reckon young Ben was
doomed from whenever he became influenced by dodgey people outside footy.And what a tragedy for his family but on a cold note what a loss for sport.

Cousins has been surrounded by dodgy people for all of his adult life. His connections with Kizon go back to when he was at Wesley College before the eagles ever got their hands on him. There were plenty of people questioning his intelligence and character back during Judge's reign when he became captain. His dodgy connections may not have been as prominently commented by fans and the media as they have been in recent years but to people around the footy industry and dedicated fans of the club his associates and outside activities were well known even then. The club appointed him captain anayway for commercial marketing reasons.

I disagree with a majority of fellow eagles supporters on the subject of Ken Judge. I think those 2 lean years we had were a direct result of not sacking malthouse 3 or 4 years before he voluntarily left. He refused to rejuvenate the list by trading any players for draft picks after Jacko did his knee in '96 and it became obvious we were no longer a contender for the flag. .

I'm amazed that there are people still peddling the theory that it was Malthouse's fault ! The year before KJ took over, we finished 6th. The following season with Ken Judge, with basically the same players it was a total disaster ! KJ was never a good coach. He was a failure with Hawthorn and a disaster with us. He should have never been hired. Even if he had the all-australian at his disposal he would probably finish at the bottom of the table. He was just a coach who couldn't coach.

I'm amazed that there are people still peddling the theory that it was Malthouse's fault ! The year before KJ took over, we finished 6th. The following season with Ken Judge, with basically the same players it was a total disaster ! KJ was never a good coach. He was a failure with Hawthorn and a disaster with us. He should have never been hired. Even if he had the all-australian at his disposal he would probably finish at the bottom of the table. He was just a coach who couldn't coach.

Footy lists are not built in 5 minutes. They are built over years. When Judge was coachwe were widely acknowledged to have one of the worst playing lists in the AFL. So much so that it initially caused Worsfold to baulk at taking the job and try and hang out for the freo gig. He was only convinced after assurances from the club that we would not be sacked no matter what during the life of his contract because the club understood how massive the rebuilding job was going to be.

Ken Judge is not responsible for Malthouse refusing to trade any players for draft picks as our list got older and was not longer good enough to win a flag. That is what smart clubs do and Malthouse was very insecure and selfish and blocked every move the club made to rty and do this. Thus no earlier draft picks to help rejuvenate. Nor is Ken Judge responsible for the fact we got nothing out of about 4 successive drafts in the late 90's. Absolutely nothing of long term value at all. That was again a lot do with malthouse and hs interference with the recruiting dept. These are the major 2 reasons behind our decline at the time of Judge's tenure and neither of them were his fault.

Like i said, good lists are not built in 5 minutes. Judge may not have been a good man manager. And maybe you could even argue that he wasn't a great match day coach. But he was prepared to play young players. And it would not have mattered who was coaching at that time we were not going to have much success because of the mess that malthouse had left the club and the list in. The fact we finished 6th the year before means nothing. That is not an accurate indication of the amount of talent on your list. Port finished on the bottom of the ladder last year, geelong didn't make the finals and collingwood weren't too flash either. We had nothintg. All our good players were at the end of their careers. We had very few good young players. It was the end of a dying era and Malthouse had done nothing to rebuild the list for the next era. The job of starting that long an painful road fell to Judge.

Footy lists are not built in 5 minutes. They are built over years. When Judge was coachwe were widely acknowledged to have one of the worst playing lists in the AFL. So much so that it initially caused Worsfold to baulk at taking the job and try and hang out for the freo gig. He was only convinced after assurances from the club that we would not be sacked no matter what during the life of his contract because the club understood how massive the rebuilding job was going to be.

Ken Judge is not responsible for Malthouse refusing to trade any players for draft picks as our list got older and was not longer good enough to win a flag. That is what smart clubs do and Malthouse was very insecure and selfish and blocked every move the club made to rty and do this. Thus no earlier draft picks to help rejuvenate. Nor is Ken Judge responsible for the fact we got nothing out of about 4 successive drafts in the late 90's. Absolutely nothing of long term value at all. That was again a lot do with malthouse and hs interference with the recruiting dept. These are the major 2 reasons behind our decline at the time of Judge's tenure and neither of them were his fault.

Like i said, good lists are not built in 5 minutes. Judge may not have been a good man manager. And maybe you could even argue that he wasn't a great match day coach. But he was prepared to play young players. And it would not have mattered who was coaching at that time we were not going to have much success because of the mess that malthouse had left the club and the list in. The fact we finished 6th the year before means nothing. That is not an accurate indication of the amount of talent on your list. Port finished on the bottom of the ladder last year, geelong didn't make the finals and collingwood weren't too flash either. We had nothintg. All our good players were at the end of their careers. We had very few good young players. It was the end of a dying era and Malthouse had done nothing to rebuild the list for the next era. The job of starting that long an painful road fell to Judge.

I don't think anyone should be attacking judge's character, or the fact that he had a poor list when he came to the club. Nor should he have been expected too totally turn the club around. But i don't think that's totally sealed his deal.

What was apparent is that he was a particularly poor man-manager and even poorer in the box on match day.

His decision making under pressure (which unfortunately is a requirement for AFL coaching) was terrible, and the way in which he apparently handled the players behind close door was close to laughable.

There were even (slightly founded) rumors that a couple of players were having to see a physc after some Judge's tirades post game & continual dis-treatment around the club.

I implore you to watch games from the seasons he was in charge - and there is at least 5 or 6 questionable positional moves or interchanges per game at pivitol times (the rare occasion we were close to winning a game) and they end up costing us.

In the end he was a poor coach probably lacking a good game plan backed up with a poor list. on top of that his communication and man management skills compounded to alienate himself from the player-group, coaching staff and admin.

He was heavily compensated by WCE for the rest of his contract, and even though there probably is a confidentiality clause, he has had no problem in bagging the current administration and even player group. (His bias on the radio makes him unbearable to listen to on game-day - not to add his out of line commentary on the people that have sacked him at halftime - I counted that six times this year alone).

I think Ken should feel honored to have been able to have the opportunity to coach at a great club like WCE, but his time was well and truly up. He did his damage and that was more than enough. For close to a million $$$, i'd be thinking he'd be replying with no comment come evidence day, or risk his reputation amongst WCE & W.A. Footy supporters being tarnished even further.

Remove this Banner Ad

Question for Ken Judge...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back