Question Mark Over Leroy Jetta?

Remove this Banner Ad

He had a bit of the fumbles but he has talent. I reckon he will come good in time. I agree with what a lot of people said in that he needs to build his tank and body.

Those expecting a Davey like input, remember the age differences.

Kelvin is spot on, he makes some simple errors but he makes an impact. We're a better side when he's in it and if we're patient we'll have ourselves a really, really good footballer.

If he gets a good run at it, he'll go from a player that teases to a player that oozes class. Look at what a good preseason and 15 games straight (including NAB Cup) has done for Dempsey.

Those expecting a Davey like input, remember the age differences..

I'm not expecting a Davey like input, but I wouldn't want him to be too far behind like he looked tonight and for the majority of the current year thus far. Fumbly & didn't want to put his body on the line when it was needed, to swing momentum our way. Cyril Rioli for example has made a massive impact and he's only into his second year of AFL footy, so it's no-where near impossible to make an impact in a player's first couple of seasons as a crumber.

He is making an impact though.

Three goal assists tonight, three goal assists and a goal Anzac Day.

Yep, he has the odd fumble and makes the odd mistake but his influence on our side is in the positive and not in the negative. It's because of that, that he should stay in the side and be afforded the time to develop and work on his weaknesses.

I think you're being over critical of him not putting his body on the line, especially when it's his role to move to the fall of the contest and not be in the contest. Monfries could learn from that.

Cyril Rioli is a freak and comparing anyone to him is unfair.

He'll come good, he's lacking confidence big time. If we could get him right mentally and really build up his fitness over the next 2 years, he'll be a gun. We have to be patient with him.

Massive talent.

I thought he did well until the dropped mark in the last qtr when he was long way in the clear. He is a confidence player and you can really tell when he is lacking it. The 2 tackles were at a time when the game started to swing in our favour. Biggest concern for me is the lack of crumbing possesions which were once his bread and butter.

Yep, he has the odd fumble and makes the odd mistake but his influence on our side is in the positive and not in the negative.

Cyril Rioli is a freak and comparing anyone to him is unfair.

I disagree. I thought he had a little more then the odd fumble sitting on the 1st level, three rows back. And has done for the majority of the year thus far in my opinion. But; Maybe I could've been seeing things judging by words such as 'massive talent' being thrown around a fair bit.

Cyril Rioli is a gem. But so what? He is a crumber, his job is exactly the same as Leroy's; Cyril's doing his job better at present and is slightly younger. Both relatively high draft picks as well. I don't think it's a bad comparison personally.

He seems to drop a few that he should take and make a few mistakes here or there.

Late in the third when we were a few down he laid some great tackles on Foley and Delidio.

He does a number of good things a game but doesn't get involved enough at the moment.

His tank and size are a year or two off from having a bigger impact on the game.

Patience is needed with him and I think for team balance he needs to play. He'll need to play a little better than tonight as other guys will push him out in the next 4 weeks.

I'm confident that we'll have a seriously good player in 2 years.

Geez Kelvin i wish you would show the same latitude towards Myers.

I disagree. I thought he had a little more then the odd fumble sitting on the 1st level, three rows back. And has done for the majority of the year thus far in my opinion. But; Maybe I could've been seeing things judging by words such as 'massive talent' being thrown around a fair bit.

Cyril Rioli is a gem. But so what? He is a crumber, his job is exactly the same as Leroy's; Cyril's doing his job better at present and is slightly younger. Both relatively high draft picks as well. I don't think it's a bad comparison personally.

So what? You said yourself, he's a gem.
Is Luke Ball a lesser player because of Chris Judd?

Some players come straight in and make a massive impact, others take time.

If Jetta is involved in 3-4 goals a game, ensures our intensity doesn't drop off when Davey is off the ground, makes Davey a better player, then he's an important player.

Davey has fumbled a lot in previous weeks (he was clean tonight), but no one wanted him out. Some players develop better in senior football, I think Jetta will be one of those and it becomes two-fold. We're a better side for having him in, despite his mistakes and it will fast track his development.

Davey has fumbled a lot in previous weeks (he was clean tonight), but no one wanted him out.
IMO Davey even on a night where he fumbles at least maintains good pressure and can impact on the scoreboard. Jetta however, as a younger player may drop his head and not continue the pressure. I guess it all takes time, but I do have more confidence in Davey whether he fumbles or not during games. He still gets in there and chases hard, basically he wants the ball whereas Jetta looks a bit reluctant.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just checking the stats and he had 4 inside 50's and 3 assists. Equal second best for us on both counts.

For a poor game he still makes an impact.

I know you are a stats king but you do realise that one of those inside 50's was a a turnover straight to the opposition when he had a player in the free and another was when he kicked it straight into the player infront of him and it tumbled into the 50?

I honestly dont think i have ever seen a young player fumble as much as Leroy does but i am prepared to give him the benefit and am hopeful its just a confidence thing. I am not going to write him off and condemn him at every given opportunity.

I hope other posters wil show the same respect to our other young players trying to make a fist of things.

Is Luke Ball a lesser player because of Chris Judd?

No not at all. I haven't seen many mistakes from L.Ball over his career at all from what I can remember.

Some players come straight in and make a massive impact, others take time.

Don't I know that Longy. Compare Rich to Nahas; You can't.

We're a better side for having him in, despite his mistakes and it will fast track his development.

Not quite sure about that. The verdict is still out with that one I think.

He still gets in there and chases hard, basically he wants the ball whereas Jetta looks a bit reluctant.

Agreed; Jetta's hunger for the ball hasn't really excited me this year so far.

Hopefully he can turn it around.

Geez Kelvin i wish you would show the same latitude towards Myers.

Hang on - jus ask ben the gooner - he's just being constructive with Myers.

Jetta was average tonight and should be dropped - did some horrible things (not the dropped marks) but rather a lack of effort at the contest a few times - missed easy tackles - didn't chase.

He does look slow - not sure why either - are his groin issues still a worry - or did they slow him down?

Looked better last year than this year.

I really rate this kid and think he will be very good -has heaps of talent - but back to Benidgo to keep improving his game.

I was never a fan before the draft. I always thought he was just a flashy small forward who could do a couple of freakish things in a game but did not work hard enough or play smart enough footy for long periods in a game.

Have to say i am really not a fan now either. He is not overly quick ( his sprint times in testing pre season show that ). He has no tank at all so he can only play in limited roles.
Now it seems that when he is given the big stage he somehow manages to get stage fright every time.

With a weker draft coming up and then the GC draft i would not be looking to off load him yet but if the GC made an offer i would let him go.
I have never really thought he was as good as the hype .

He seems to be afraid to have a shot at goal, he is too unselfish. Always looks to give when he can reasonably have a shot. Just needs to develop
a bit of confidence at senior level.
needs a lot more confidence... playing with half a dozen other indigenous players should change that. Needs only to look at Lovett and davey for inspiration and to dempsey for his work ethic and he'll be set.

only problem for me is that i'm not sure where on the ground i'd play him.
Still doesn't do enough for mine.

I'm not interested in what he 'could' be or 'might' be, the facts are that he is in and out of the side for a good reason.

especially given he's in a squad that's really fighting for positions.

but i do hope we keep him, he may well be one of those that heads to the GC17, but i haven't checked his contract status.

Hang on - jus ask ben the gooner - he's just being constructive with Myers.

Jetta was average tonight and should be dropped - did some horrible things (not the dropped marks) but rather a lack of effort at the contest a few times - missed easy tackles - didn't chase.

He does look slow - not sure why either - are his groin issues still a worry - or did they slow him down?
Looked better last year than this year.

I really rate this kid and think he will be very good -has heaps of talent - but back to Benidgo to keep improving his game.

I have been saying for a long while he is not quick. If he was quick he would not be finishing in the back half in the 100's during pre season.

I have been saying for a long while he is not quick. If he was quick he would not be finishing in the back half in the 100's during pre season.

Yet he caught Delidio in the back half.

He's got enough pace to trouble sides. He looks quick over the first 20 but doesn't have the sustained power over longer distances.

He reminds me of Milne. Quick initially but can get run down. Once he gets a bit more power and strength he'll be able to sustain the effort longer.

He has a bit of the "richard tamblings" about him. But the difference is that leroy actually has potential. I don't understand why they aren't playing him closer to goal? We have limited forward targets so we need him down there once the ball spills off the pack and hits the deck. He is very good around goals when he isn't fumbling. Personally i'm a fan and am hoping he develops a bit like milne or didak. Minus the off field discretions :p

I was never a fan before the draft. I always thought he was just a flashy small forward who could do a couple of freakish things in a game but did not work hard enough or play smart enough footy for long periods in a game..

Same here Ant555. I remember saying to my Dad watching him play for WA in the Champs, 'Watch this guy get picked up early and fizzle. Talked up like God in the papers; Beautiful pin-point passes, ferocious tackler, attacks the ball fiercely, etc. It's all a smoke-screen.' We than proceeded to pick him up with pick 17 or whatever it was, and then I thought I better slow down on the negative criticism and give him a few more chances. Really isn't showing alot at all at the moment, HOPEFULLY he can prove me wrong.

Remove this Banner Ad

Question Mark Over Leroy Jetta?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back