Question: Why is there so much prestige over being the number one draft pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

Coffeechill

Debutant
Sep 10, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
I mean, obviously being the Number One draft pick carries some sort of merit but I can't understand the hoopla these journos and media types create when they ask questions like "Who's going to go Number One IN this years draft?" "Naitanui or Rich- who will it be?"

The reason I ask is that I think Numero Uno is a curse. I think I heard somewhere that Luke Hodge was the first number one draft pick to win a premiership! It doesn't surprise me actually when you have a draft system that rewards the pooparama teams and punishes those that have actually done well. Don't get me wrong, there needs to be some way of creating an equilibrium- a balance of some sort between the Melbournes and Hawthorns of the competition. I just don't see why anyone would WANT to be Number 1.

I, for one, feel sorry for either Daniel Rich or Naitanui. They get picked up #1 by Melbourne, they're going to a club that is highly unlikely to win a flag for at least a decade, has the worst crowd figures in the AFL (terrible media exposure for a young gun superstar) and has in-fighting amongst the board members and is overall an unstable club. If fate were kind she'd reward players who've excelled enough to be picked Number 1 to get some sort of reward for being the best young player of that year. Instead Naitanui or Rich are going to end up a Demon and (likely) never taste premiership glory. While players like James Hird (who I THINK was picked somewhere in the vicinity of 79 in the draft) go on and win 2 premierships, a brownlow and become one of the games greatest ever players.

I'm not calling for change to the system I just think the media needs to stop giving so much credit to the Number One draft pick because his career, at least in terms of accolades, is pretty much doomed.

Banfield would've gone to Sydney if we hadn't traded for the number one pick and probably would've played for the Swans in their '05 premiership but not for us in his first year! And Headland is a one-off

That is the worst post i think i have ever read on this site. It is so wrong but i can't be bothered shutting you down because another Melb fan will very quickly.

But one thing i will say is we are not the worst club in the competition, and its funny that you are paying us out when your club is. Just look at RD 20, Melb vs WC.

Naitanui vs Rich who will be the No1 draft pick LMFAO!

Maybe because the number 1 draft pick is the best player of his age in the draft so there's a certain amount of prestige to it as well as expectations and pressure. It gives the supporters of that club something to pin their hopes on and look forward to. It gives the number 1 draft pick the option of taking a lowly club to premiership glory sometime in his career-the ultimate achievement.

And also CoffeeChill you dunce, when Melbourne is in the top 8 we are one of the largest drawing Victorian teams, for example in 2005 we were the 3rd largest drawing Vic team and got over 36000 at the G against your mob.

Our board in-fighting? Are you living in 2001?
Mate seriously you have no idea. We have a brand new board that is very respected by the AFL and according to Demetriou is one of the best in the business.

Do yourself a favour and cancel your bigfooty account and learn something about footy. Oh and learn who Jack Watts is. Thanks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very well researched and credited article (not you idiot)
Firstly our board has dramitacally changed with a new era being made. We will win a premiership before you thats 1 thing i do know. Our average crowd figures this year were still above Brisbane and Port's so good research on that.

The number 1 pick will be Jack Watts, incase you havent heard of him he is a Tall FF or CHF who has been an elite underage basketballer before committing to AFL this year. He is only 17 as well and will be a superstar.

I, for one, feel sorry for either Daniel Rich or Naitanui. They get picked up #1 by Melbourne, they're going to a club that is highly unlikely to win a flag for at least a decade, has the worst crowd figures in the AFL (terrible media exposure for a young gun superstar) and has in-fighting amongst the board members and is overall an unstable club. If fate were kind she'd reward players who've excelled enough to be picked Number 1 to get some sort of reward for being the best young player of that year. Instead Naitanui or Rich are going to end up a Demon and (likely) never taste premiership glory. While players like James Hird (who I THINK was picked somewhere in the vicinity of 79 in the draft) go on and win 2 premierships, a brownlow and become one of the games greatest ever players.

Bolded are errors or just plain stupidity or narrow-mindedness
You're a moron

there is so much prestige on the #1 draft pick purley because the selectors reckon he will have a lot of potential and wil continue to improbe an has a "footy brain" I would think from seeing the draft camp results NN would be #1 but he dosen't have the most footy smarts also pick #1 may not be the best pick it could be the player that club needs

this is by the stupidest thing that i have ever seen in my entire life

1: Jack Watts will ne No. 1 and wants to come to Melbourne
2: Melbourne is better than West Coast
3: Jack Watts doesnt want to go to a basketcase like West Coast because he will be forced into doing bad deeds
4: At least if Melbourne won a Premiership, they would have won it with honesty and deserve it
5: Melbourne was playing the youngest list this year and there is all probability that they will win a premiership within the next ten years because they are already in the rebuilding stage
6: West Coast suck and everyone wants out-Kerr, Seaby, Judd
look at round 20...and don't use tanking as an excuse because that would further make your club look like the disgrace it is
7: Our Board is not divided because it is brand new and this year, the new Board raised $3mil in one month (the most money raised by a new board in one month, in the history of the AFL)
8: Cale Morton is from Perth and would rather play for Melbourne
9: Morton > Masten and was taken later in the draft
10: When Melbourne once again rise to the top I will show you this thread

Brock out

Clearly this is a dig at Melbourne, poorly disguised as a thread about draft picks. So, moderators, do your job and ship this off to Bay 13, or better yet just close it down.

That's the way the systems been for years. The best player always goes to the worst club. To bring it up now you'd also have to have a crack at all the other clubs that have finished last over the last 25 years, not just Melbourne. Or is that beyond your peanut-sized brain?

U ARE A w***er!!.... the reason things go wrong in the world because people with Defective Gene's like the OP have the luxurious of voting, breeding, driving, buying a house etc just like normal people this man should be kept away from the rest of us shipped off to an island or some shit and be treated like someone who had the plauge used to be treated.

Remove this Banner Ad

Question: Why is there so much prestige over being the number one draft pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back