Question: Why is there so much prestige over being the number one draft pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

lol at melbourne supporters :eek:

He's not even having a go at your club. :rolleyes:

And technically melbourne are worse than the eagles at this point in time :thumbsu:

Lower Ladder position equals worse :cool:.

Personally i think its a good thing, it helps keeps the game moving, rather than just one team being at the forefront of things for an eternity.

there is so much prestige on the #1 draft pick purley because the selectors reckon he will have a lot of potential and wil continue to improbe an has a "footy brain" I would think from seeing the draft camp results NN would be #1 but he dosen't have the most footy smarts also pick #1 may not be the best pick it could be the player that club needs

Good post :thumbsu:

this is by the stupidest thing that i have ever seen in my entire life

1: Jack Watts will ne No. 1 and wants to come to Melbourne
2: Melbourne is better than West Coast
3: Jack Watts doesnt want to go to a basketcase like West Coast because he will be forced into doing bad deeds
4: At least if Melbourne won a Premiership, they would have won it with honesty and deserve it
5: Melbourne was playing the youngest list this year and there is all probability that they will win a premiership within the next ten years because they are already in the rebuilding stage
6: West Coast suck and everyone wants out-Kerr, Seaby, Judd
look at round 20...and don't use tanking as an excuse because that would further make your club look like the disgrace it is
7: Our Board is not divided because it is brand new and this year, the new Board raised $3mil in one month (the most money raised by a new board in one month, in the history of the AFL)
8: Cale Morton is from Perth and would rather play for Melbourne
9: Morton > Masten and was taken later in the draft
10: When Melbourne once again rise to the top I will show you this thread

Brock out

Completely pointless post that doesnt answer the question at all :thumbsdown:

Lissen, Melbourne is a bedda club than West Coast, run by bedda men with bedda players and a bedda future.

BEDDA.

Do yuz understand?

Again completely pointles post that doesnt answer the question whatsoever :thumbsdown:

And technically melbourne are worse than the eagles at this point in time :thumbsu:

Personally i think its a good thing, it helps keeps the game moving, rather than just one team being at the forefront of things for an eternity.
I, for one, feel sorry for either Daniel Rich or Naitanui. They get picked up #1 by Melbourne, they're going to a club that is highly unlikely to win a flag for at least a decade, has the worst crowd figures in the AFL (terrible media exposure for a young gun superstar) and has in-fighting amongst the board members and is overall an unstable club. If fate were kind she'd reward players who've excelled enough to be picked Number 1 to get some sort of reward for being the best young player of that year. Instead Naitanui or Rich are going to end up a Demon and (likely) never taste premiership glory.

i know, he didn't say a single bad thing about melbourne ;)

I mean, obviously being the Number One draft pick carries some sort of merit but I can't understand the hoopla these journos and media types create when they ask questions like "Who's going to go Number One IN this years draft?" "Naitanui or Rich- who will it be?"

You clearly read the Worst Australian too much.

Naitanui and Rich have had the biggest amount of coverage in drafting history over here because West Coast and Freo have been so rubbish all year. With no finals action, the paper has needed a story to sell and future draft picks is all it has had in 2008.

Don't believe the propaganda.

ps. And if Melbourne have their heads screwed on they will announce Watts as their selection.

this is by the stupidest thing that i have ever seen in my entire life...

...10: When Melbourne once again rise to the top I will show you this thread

Brock out

Will we still have internet by 3000 AD?

I reckon the OP's on to something... the draft is causing a bit of predictability in the competition, look at Sydney, all the media are now forecasting doom and gloom upon them for the next few years, just so they can rebuild into a premiership team again, apart from the odd exception, that's the pattern every club will have to follow, plus every clubs that finish on the bottom from now on i guarantee will come under scrutiny for tanking (yes it is our fault... I don't care!). Obviously we don't want the AFL to become like the EPL and be forever Man Utd... but i reckon there are ways to somehow modify it

for starters, the op has a point.
melbourne is not likely to win a premiership in the next decade, yes they are rebuilding, so is west coast, however with the introduction of the two new teams this rebuilding period will take longer than it did for sides like hawthorn and carlton.
melbourne is not a better side than west coast, they finished lower, how can this possibly make them a better side
i have nothing against either side, i am a brisbane supporter
and to another poster 'everyone wants out, seaby, judd, kerr'
judd yes
kerr no, he has consistently stated that he wants to be an eagle for life, people who want out dont want 5 year contracts
seaby yes reasons? he wants to get more rucking time to improve his game. this happens at every club, see cameron wood brisbane lions to collingwood 2007
luke hodge wasnt the first 1 pick to win a premiership, however adam cooney was the first to win a brownlow.
from the amount of afl game each have played, how can anyone be sure that morton is better than masten, they are both in their first years and masten has had op
cale morton is from wa and would rather play for melbourne.
how do you no?
4: At least if Melbourne won a Premiership, they would have won it with honesty and deserve it
how did west coast not deserve their premiership
how has any premier ever 'not deserved their premiership'

melbourne is not likely to win a premiership in the next decade, yes they are rebuilding, so is west coast, however with the introduction of the two new teams this rebuilding period will take longer than it did for sides like hawthorn and carlton.
melbourne is not a better side than west coast, they finished lower, how can this possibly make them a better side
Why would it take longer then Carlton? 2002- 2008, the only reason it took them so long was because they got penalised for cheating and missed out on picks.

Melbourne will have 3 years of great picks, which is more then enough time considering our team already had good youth (McLean, Jones, Buckley, Sylvia, Chris Johnson, Paul Johnson, Bartram, Rivers, Moloney) Pre- 2007.

Then we had picks 4, 14 and 21 last year (Morton, Grimes, Maric)
1, 17,19 this year in one of the strongest drafts ever AND
if we are as bad as everyone says we are we will get picks:
1,2,18 next year.

Melbourne will rise quickly in 2010 and beyond. I will bump the shit out of this thread when we do, so don't say i didn't warn you.

And BTW i will show you why we are a better side then that cheating scum west coast.

Rd 20, 2008:

Melbourne: 11.13 79 def West Coast: 5.15 45

They are an absolutely horrid side that has no right to pay out on any other side.

3: Jack Watts doesnt want to go to a basketcase like West Coast because he will be forced into doing bad deeds
5: Melbourne was playing the youngest list this year and there is all probability that they will win a premiership within the next ten years because they are already in the rebuilding stage
look at round 20...and don't use tanking as an excuse because that would further make your club look like the disgrace it is
7: Our Board is not divided because it is brand new and this year, the new Board raised $3mil in one month (the most money raised by a new board in one month, in the history of the AFL)

Brock out

is it really necessary for me to point this out as the most moronic post ever?

there are MAYBE 2 of your 10 points that are not complete crap.

Brock out
Gee I didn't think this thread could get worse after the OP but there you go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And BTW i will show you why we are a better side then that cheating scum west coast.

Rd 20, 2008:

Melbourne: 11.13 79 def West Coast: 5.15 45

They are an absolutely horrid side that has no right to pay out on any other side.

Considering we're on of the most succesful sides in the competition, i'm fairly sure we do have a right to pay out on you.

I mean, obviously being the Number One draft pick carries some sort of merit but I can't understand the hoopla these journos and media types create when they ask questions like "Who's going to go Number One IN this years draft?" "Naitanui or Rich- who will it be?"

The reason I ask is that I think Numero Uno is a curse. I think I heard somewhere that Luke Hodge was the first number one draft pick to win a premiership! It doesn't surprise me actually when you have a draft system that rewards the pooparama teams and punishes those that have actually done well. Don't get me wrong, there needs to be some way of creating an equilibrium- a balance of some sort between the Melbournes and Hawthorns of the competition. I just don't see why anyone would WANT to be Number 1.

I, for one, feel sorry for either Daniel Rich or Naitanui. They get picked up #1 by Melbourne, they're going to a club that is highly unlikely to win a flag for at least a decade, has the worst crowd figures in the AFL (terrible media exposure for a young gun superstar) and has in-fighting amongst the board members and is overall an unstable club. If fate were kind she'd reward players who've excelled enough to be picked Number 1 to get some sort of reward for being the best young player of that year. Instead Naitanui or Rich are going to end up a Demon and (likely) never taste premiership glory. While players like James Hird (who I THINK was picked somewhere in the vicinity of 79 in the draft) go on and win 2 premierships, a brownlow and become one of the games greatest ever players.

I'm not calling for change to the system I just think the media needs to stop giving so much credit to the Number One draft pick because his career, at least in terms of accolades, is pretty much doomed.

Geez you're a real brain surgeon aren't you...

So I assume you're opposed to West Coast having the number 2 pick, being a 'pooparama' team and all...

Jack Watts, who is from VICTORIA, will be Melbourne's number one pick, for what its worth..

You might want to pull your head out of your ass at some stage:rolleyes:

I've always been a bit upset that Geelong are called handbaggers whilst Melbourne are still in existance. Then I realise that nobody cares about MFC enough to come up with a disparaging nickname about them.
Is there a team in any league in the world that stirs less passion? I really don't think anyone would miss them, 2008 flag is as close as they'll get after voting to merge with Whorethorn.
I just pity anyone who was unfortunate enough to be brought up to barrack for this shit team, and feel sorry for Jack Watts, he might have developed into a decent player if he wasn't so unlucky to have to go to the Lemons.

Does that make Hawthorn worse then Geelong??:confused:

I've always been a bit upset that Geelong are called handbaggers whilst Melbourne are still in existance. Then I realise that nobody cares about MFC enough to come up with a disparaging nickname about them.
Is there a team in any league in the world that stirs less passion? I really don't think anyone would miss them, 2008 flag is as close as they'll get after voting to merge with Whorethorn.
I just pity anyone who was unfortunate enough to be brought up to barrack for this shit team, and feel sorry for Jack Watts, he might have developed into a decent player if he wasn't so unlucky to have to go to the Lemons.

You obviously felt strongly enough about us to post this verbal diarrhea, irony is a bitch, isn't it :rolleyes:

Hey don't pay out on us!!
Just because your bunch of 'chokers' squandered a premiership that was impossible to lose, you shouldn't go around filling these forums with your ignorant rantings...

you are just an angry, incoherent adolescent filling the world with your worthless opinions.

Please kindly get lost sir...

The reason I ask is that I think Numero Uno is a curse. I think I heard somewhere that Luke Hodge was the first number one draft pick to win a premiership! It doesn't surprise me actually when you have a draft system that rewards the pooparama teams and punishes those that have actually done well.

Your whole write up is full of holes. Here's a snippet.

Hawthorn was not rewarded with the #1 draft pick Luke Hodge in 2001. Hawthorn lost in a Preliminary final that year and traded Trent Croad to Fremantle (who did finish with the spoon) for their #1 pick. Maybe Freo would have won a flag by now if they kept him?

Drew Banfield, 1992 Eagles and Des Headland, 1998 Lions are former #1 picks that have played in a premiership winning side.

Your whole write up is full of holes. Here's a snippet.

Hawthorn was not rewarded with the #1 draft pick Luke Hodge in 2001. Hawthorn lost in a Preliminary final that year and traded Trent Croad to Fremantle (who did finish with the spoon) for their #1 pick. Maybe Freo would have won a flag by now if they kept him?

Drew Banfield, 1992 Eagles and Des Headland, 1998 Lions are former #1 picks that have played in a premiership winning side.

The guy is a clown, i wouldn't even bother trying to argue the point. I don't think he is even capable of putting his own pants on properly.:p

Someone should slam the door shut on this horrid thread...:thumbsu:

i have nothing against either side, i am a brisbane supporter
and to another poster 'everyone wants out, seaby, judd, kerr'
judd yes
kerr no, he has consistently stated that he wants to be an eagle for life, people who want out dont want 5 year contracts
seaby yes reasons? he wants to get more rucking time to improve his game. this happens at every club, see cameron wood brisbane lions to collingwood 2007
luke hodge wasnt the first 1 pick to win a premiership, however adam cooney was the first to win a brownlow.
from the amount of afl game each have played, how can anyone be sure that morton is better than masten, they are both in their first years and masten has had op
cale morton is from wa and would rather play for melbourne.
how do you no?
how did west coast not deserve their premiership
how has any premier ever 'not deserved their premiership'

-because we fielded a younger side and SMASHED them!!
-kerr wanted out but he got a good deal
-judd wanted out...not for family reasons as he said, but its a crap culture
-seaby hasnt been played properly...u can have two ruckmen that are
-given equal time...ie PA
-because i know his host family and after being interviewed by melbourne in draft week, he had them as his preferred destination
-yes, one club has not deserved their premiership and they are called the weagles
-we all know they like the good stuff and did it in happily did it in 06

Remove this Banner Ad

Question: Why is there so much prestige over being the number one draft pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back