Question: Why is there so much prestige over being the number one draft pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

-we all know they like the good stuff and did it in happily did it in 06

I can't believe I'm dragging myself into this but I couldn't help myself... You do realise that they're recreational drugs not performance enhancing. What difference would it have made if they played every game coked up (which of course they wouldn't have as they wouldn't be fit to play)? If anything they would have just dehydrated themselves and collapsed and/or made themselves ill.

It's really not cheating.

Unless you're just coming from a 'breaking the law' angle. In which case any team that has players speeding would not deserve their success either.

:eek: I just get a little narky when people say that any team doesn't deserve their victories. West Coast were a fantastic side (and will be again sooner rather than later I would think).

And to people saying that Melbourne were the better team of 2008 because they beat West Coast in one game - are Collingwood better than Geelong, or Richmond better than Hawthorn? Don't answer that Tiger and Pie fans - it was rhetorical. ;)

This is a bit of a strange and random swipe at melbourne.

Now despite all of your mistakes in the tripe that was the OP, I actually think that the question your asking is the funniest part.

You don't know why the number 1 draft pick has so much prestige?

It's because that person is the supposed to be the best footballer outside of the AFL in the country. He is the man that everyone wants. Other sports that have drafts have possibly even more prestige such as the NBA and NFL.

You dont see why anyone would WANT to be number 1?

Most people are actually driven, competitive and have pride. Obviously you aren't one of those people.

I liked the contradiciton you managed to put in there too. You dont like all the 'hoopla' the media create and all the credit given to the number one pick, yet you feel sorry for the bloke Melbourne draft because of the supposed 'terrible media exposure for a young gun superstar'. Hmmmmmm

I can't believe I'm dragging myself into this but I couldn't help myself... You do realise that they're recreational drugs not performance enhancing. What difference would it have made if they played every game coked up (which of course they wouldn't have as they wouldn't be fit to play)? If anything they would have just dehydrated themselves and collapsed and/or made themselves ill.

It's really not cheating.

Unless you're just coming from a 'breaking the law' angle. In which case any team that has players speeding would not deserve their success either.

:eek: I just get a little narky when people say that any team doesn't deserve their victories. West Coast were a fantastic side (and will be again sooner rather than later I would think).

And to people saying that Melbourne were the better team of 2008 because they beat West Coast in one game - are Collingwood better than Geelong, or Richmond better than Hawthorn? Don't answer that Tiger and Pie fans - it was rhetorical. ;)

Its against the rules to play AFL with recreational drugs in your system. Therefore it's cheating.

The AFL have the same WADA drug policy as basically every other professional sport and it's cheating. Just ask Wendall Sailor.

Just for the any WC supporters who possibly want to pot me, i dont think your premiership was tainted despite what I said in this post. I dont care

Does that make Hawthorn worse then Geelong??:confused:

Well over the season, Geelong where undoubtedly the better team.

In case that wasnt obvious... but on the day the hawks beat geelong.

Thusly proving my point.

The eagles were on the whole better side than the demons during the season, in terms of overall wins. But on the day, melbourne beat them.

Does this discredit the wins in anyway? No. Am i taking into account performances? No.

I have nothing against melbourne, but i cant see where mfc fans justify saying that the demons are a better team than WC.

Either way, both we're crap :eek:

for starters, the op has a point.
melbourne is not likely to win a premiership in the next decade, yes they are rebuilding, so is west coast, however with the introduction of the two new teams this rebuilding period will take longer than it did for sides like hawthorn and carlton.
melbourne is not a better side than west coast, they finished lower, how can this possibly make them a better side
i have nothing against either side, i am a brisbane supporter
and to another poster 'everyone wants out, seaby, judd, kerr'
judd yes
kerr no, he has consistently stated that he wants to be an eagle for life, people who want out dont want 5 year contracts
seaby yes reasons? he wants to get more rucking time to improve his game. this happens at every club, see cameron wood brisbane lions to collingwood 2007
luke hodge wasnt the first 1 pick to win a premiership, however adam cooney was the first to win a brownlow.
from the amount of afl game each have played, how can anyone be sure that morton is better than masten, they are both in their first years and masten has had op
cale morton is from wa and would rather play for melbourne.
how do you no?
4: At least if Melbourne won a Premiership, they would have won it with honesty and deserve it
how did west coast not deserve their premiership
how has any premier ever 'not deserved their premiership'

A good and intelligent post. Really doesn't belong in this thread!

dee supporters the OP is probably just fishing a bit, dont swallow it. We both had years we would rather forget about and hopefully we will both be back sooner rather than later.

Its against the rules to play AFL with recreational drugs in your system. Therefore it's cheating.

The AFL have the same WADA drug policy as basically every other professional sport and it's cheating. Just ask Wendall Sailor.

Just for the any WC supporters who possibly want to pot me, i dont think your premiership was tainted despite what I said in this post. I dont care

I agree with what you're saying. But what some people allude to (not just on this thread) is that WC didn't deserve the cup because of the drugs.

It's not cheating in the sense that one team has an unfair advantage over the other. It's cheating in the sense that one team broke a rule that has no impact on the outcome of the game.

It's the "who gives a crap" cheating :)

So I don't understand why opposition supporters should feel as though they have been cheated. I'll leave now before this thread gets anymore off topic! Though that seems to be the case in almost every post since the OP!

I think the OP is a tad upset that Jack Watts' preference is to play for the mighty dees rather than heading out to the wild west and playing with a bunch of drugged up show ponies. Enjoy your pick of either Daniel 'Osteitus Pubis' Rich or Nick 'Paddy Ryder 2.0' Naitanui. And to that Geelong supporter who had a crack, it must be difficult knowing the empire has fallen revealing its soft, handbagging underbelly. Don't bother replying you sack of shit, not that you have the passion for it anyway.

Y'all are claiming that Melbourne are a crap team and will be for a rather long time. Are you guys stupid? All teams have been and/or will be , on the bottom of the ladder at some point in time. There's not one team that can be forever dominant. Even though we have not won a Premiership since 1964, we do hold 12 Under our belts. Whose above Melbourne in overall? Carlton and Essendon with 16 a piece and Collingwood with 14? Goes to show how good of a team we really are. Good players come and go, it happens to every team. Like Geelong & Hawthorn for example, as of right now, they are the dominant sides of the competition, but as their teams change in the years to come, so will their success rates. Those 2 teams aren't going to be at the top forever. Things change, always do. And i'm pretty sure Melbourne's time will come again (believe it or not) sooner then later. I seen someone say 2011 in a post here earlier, I'm going to agree with him and warn you to watch Melbourne closely over the next few years, It may not be 2011 but the time is definetly coming, We are building a TEAM, something some clubs have to idea how to do...

So to all the doubters out there, say what you wish, but when the time comes, be prepared to shut the **** up and watch the dynasty.
icon12.gif

To all the other Melbourne supporters out there who are as passionate as me...I gotcha backs, Stay Faithful. Big Things Poppin, Little Things Droppin.
MELBOURNE FC: PREMIERS IN THE MAKING! :thumbsu:

Y'all are claiming that Melbourne are a crap team and will be for a rather long time. Are you guys stupid? All teams have been and/or will be , on the bottom of the ladder at some point in time. There's not one team that can be forever dominant. Even though we have not won a Premiership since 1964, we do hold 12 Under our belts. Whose above Melbourne in overall? Carlton and Essendon with 16 a piece and Collingwood with 14? Goes to show how good of a team we really are. Good players come and go, it happens to every team. Like Geelong & Hawthorn for example, as of right now, they are the dominant sides of the competition, but as their teams change in the years to come, so will their success rates. Those 2 teams aren't going to be at the top forever. Things change, always do. And i'm pretty sure Melbourne's time will come again (believe it or not) sooner then later. I seen someone say 2011 in a post here earlier, I'm going to agree with him and warn you to watch Melbourne closely over the next few years, It may not be 2011 but the time is definetly coming, We are building a TEAM, something some clubs have to idea how to do...

So to all the doubters out there, say what you wish, but when the time comes, be prepared to shut the **** up and watch the dynasty.
icon12.gif

To all the other Melbourne supporters out there who are as passionate as me...I gotcha backs, Stay Faithful. Big Things Poppin, Little Things Droppin.
MELBOURNE FC: PREMIERS IN THE MAKING! :thumbsu:

No one is disputing that success is the AFL is cyclic, Cats will more than likely have dropped off the pace by 2011, Hawks will still be thereabouts, I think why people aren't rating the Demons though is that they look at the other clubs that might be challenging around the same time as the Dees (Carlton, Richmond) and don't see how Melbourne is going to get up.

Coffeechill, it is good to see that the Big Footy Affirmative Action Program is bearing results. Dribble though it be, well done for managing to tap out your random and largely asinine thoughts.

Now CC, as I will label you, in philosophy there is a consideration called the Principle of Sufficient Reason.

The principle has a variety of expressions, all of which are perhaps best summarized by the following:
  • For every entity x, if x exists, then there is a sufficient explanation why x exists.
  • For every event e, if e occurs, then there is a sufficient explanation why e occurs.
  • For every proposition p, if p is true, then there is a sufficient explanation why p is true.
A sufficient explanation may be understood either in terms of reasons or causes for like many philosophers of the period, Leibniz (the originator of the Principle) did not carefully distinguish between the two.

The resulting principle is very different, however, depending on which interpretation is given.

Now, CC, how does this apply to your effluence in the OP?

Even when I consider the lowgrade and largely degraded DNA that you inherited from your Cro-Magnon ancestors in a downpipe sense and, more critically, your inadequate education, it still does not explain the crud in your opening post.

Does this mean that there is a caveat to the Principle of Sufficient Reason, or, could one suggest that you are the equivalent of Bay 13 Space-Junk?

I am leaning towards the latter. Please let me know if I am wrong.

Biffinator.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It must be difficult for West Coast supporters to comprehend this...

first of all...everyone has been telling me to answer the question..
what is the question in this thread?? i don't see a relevant question to answer for..

secondly, i would much rather be no. 1 then become no. 2 and have the risk of going to West Coast if I was a Victorian boy..

think about it, you are going to an unstable envioronment, notorious for you know what and the club is going down off the field

People seem to prefer throwing pebbles at each other rather than simply answering the question put to them.

A: In a deepish draft yr there is virtually no benefit whatsoever in having pick 1 instead of say pick 3or 4...the only benefit is derived if u are prepared to pick the kid who most fills your needs in 3-5 yrs time... instead of simply on a perceived "best player" basis which is effectively guesswork unless he;s a standout (like Gibbs was for instance)

Even if u think u picked a kid that looks like an absolute tearaway gun as an 18yo next yr...it can be the best season he ever plays for you.

Even if u think u picked a kid that has the best long term potential he may only play 3 games for your club due to bad luck with injury.

Throw your pebbles and bang your heads...its just educated guesswork with far too many variables to know a damn thing for a long time.

Now, CC, how does this apply to your effluence in the OP?

Even when I consider the lowgrade and largely degraded DNA that you inherited from your Cro-Magnon ancestors in a downpipe sense and, more critically, your inadequate education, it still does not explain the crud in your opening post.

Does this mean that there is a caveat to the Principle of Sufficient Reason, or, could one suggest that you are the equivalent of Bay 13 Space-Junk?

I am leaning towards the latter. Please let me know if I am wrong.

Biffinator.
Hahahahaha:D:D

Biffinator does it again:thumbsu:

No one is disputing that success is the AFL is cyclic, Cats will more than likely have dropped off the pace by 2011, Hawks will still be thereabouts, I think why people aren't rating the Demons though is that they look at the other clubs that might be challenging around the same time as the Dees (Carlton, Richmond) and don't see how Melbourne is going to get up.

Both Carlton and Richmond are a couple of years ahead of Melbourne in the rebuilding phase.

We've been down the bottom for just two years now, while neither Richmond or Carlton have made the finals since 2001. They've had their fair share of high picks, and both look like they are finally putting together a decent team. You've gotta remember that in 2007 they were the only two teams to finish below Melbourne on the ladder, so things can change quickly.

As far as we're concerned, we are still a few years off but are slowly putting together a strong structure. Our backline looks promising with Garland (20), Martin (22), Rivers (24), Warnock (24) and Frawley (20). We've got a some promising midfielders, led by McLean (22), Jones (20), Valenti (21), Morton (18), Grimes (18) and Buckley (21). We desperately need a gun forward and hopefully that problem will be solved with the selection of Jack Watts. We also need a quality ruckman, and a few more classy running players, but overall the signs aren't bad.

In 13 months time, Melbourne would have scored ten top-20 draft picks in 3 years, including 1,1,2 and 4. We already have about another 10 on the list

List will be fantastic in a few years and that is why Jack Watts will be happy to be at Melbourne

I mean, obviously being the Number One draft pick carries some sort of merit but I can't understand the hoopla these journos and media types create when they ask questions like "Who's going to go Number One IN this years draft?" "Naitanui or Rich- who will it be?"

The reason I ask is that I think Numero Uno is a curse. I think I heard somewhere that Luke Hodge was the first number one draft pick to win a premiership! It doesn't surprise me actually when you have a draft system that rewards the pooparama teams and punishes those that have actually done well. Don't get me wrong, there needs to be some way of creating an equilibrium- a balance of some sort between the Melbournes and Hawthorns of the competition. I just don't see why anyone would WANT to be Number 1.

I, for one, feel sorry for either Daniel Rich or Naitanui. They get picked up #1 by Melbourne, they're going to a club that is highly unlikely to win a flag for at least a decade, has the worst crowd figures in the AFL (terrible media exposure for a young gun superstar) and has in-fighting amongst the board members and is overall an unstable club. If fate were kind she'd reward players who've excelled enough to be picked Number 1 to get some sort of reward for being the best young player of that year. Instead Naitanui or Rich are going to end up a Demon and (likely) never taste premiership glory. While players like James Hird (who I THINK was picked somewhere in the vicinity of 79 in the draft) go on and win 2 premierships, a brownlow and become one of the games greatest ever players.

I'm not calling for change to the system I just think the media needs to stop giving so much credit to the Number One draft pick because his career, at least in terms of accolades, is pretty much doomed.

if you ever have the need to spew out that amount of verbal diarrhoea again... swallow

As far as we're concerned, we are still a few years off but are slowly putting together a strong structure. Our backline looks promising with Garland (20), Martin (22), Rivers (24), Warnock (24) and Frawley (20). We've got a some promising midfielders, led by McLean (22), Jones (20), Valenti (21), Morton (18), Grimes (18) and Buckley (21). We desperately need a gun forward and hopefully that problem will be solved with the selection of Jack Watts. We also need a quality ruckman, and a few more classy running players, but overall the signs aren't bad.

You forgot Wonaeamirri. I'm not disagreeing with you, I think Melbourne are building a great side, if they'd netted Judd rather than Carlton everyone would be talking about them being a top 4 contender. I was just pointing out where the majority of posters opinions lie in Melbourne's ability to win one by 2011.

Hahahahaha:D:D

Biffinator does it again:thumbsu:

Thank you Whelan=Legend.

Can I please ask you a question: what has happened to CoffeeChill (gees, it's a girly name, isn't it.)

Is he changing his panty-liner?

Is he hiding out in the McDonald's playground?

Is this another instance of a Flog MIA?

Biffinator

Thank you Whelan=Legend.

Can I please ask you a question: what has happened to CoffeeChill (gees, it's a girly name, isn't it.)

Is he changing his panty-liner?

Is he hiding out in the McDonald's playground?

Is this another instance of a Flog MIA?

Biffinator
Biff, several things could have happened to this obviously homosexually inclined man.

But my tip is that he may be having day care at the moment, or he may be being punished for sneaking onto the computer by his carer. Either way, i don't think we will see this degenerate for a while.

This is all coming from a West Coast supporter.

lol

West Coast doesn't have a few thing that Melbourne has, and they will never, EVER have them.

That's class and history.

Firstly, like every other interstate club, the AFL looks at you as a pay packet and nothing more. You're not considered a football club. Do you know how you will be remembered in 20 years time? As the club that the worst drug problem in the history of Australian sport and whose Brownlow Medal and Premiership star was a cocaine addict. Forget the 3 flags. Everyone knows the Eagles as "that" club. When people think of Melbourne (people who are in the know, know what they're talking about and do some research before they make stupid claims) they think of one of the best sporting teams in Australian history from the early 50s to mid-60s. They also think of a few blokes called Ron Barrassi and Norm Smith, trail-blazers of our game that will never be forgotten. Who does W.C. have worth noting in 20 years? You think Judd left JUST to come home? He left because your club is a disgrace to the game and a club that allowed a drug epidemic to continue from 10+ years.

Secondly, like every other interstate club, you were helped by a blind, ignorant and money-hungry organisation in the AFL to build one of the best lists of the past 20 years. You can thank your flag of 92 to plenty of nice draft picks, salary concessions and state-of-the art facilities. You were spoon-fed from the moment you entered the competition until you were strong enough to stand on your own feet. What do clubs like Melbourne have to do, after creating this game, providing some of the most memorable, respected and well-known sporting stars of the past 100 years of Australian sport? They have to beg the AFL to get assistence to stay afloat. Then after they do that, THEN they can borrow money from the state government to get facilities that come within 10 meters of the quality of your facilities that were given to you in a box with a bow and tie.

Thirdly, the character of player is truly on show when they willingly play for a poor yet foundation club that has more class and stability than any of the interstate clubs and probably half of the Melbourne clubs. We will draft the Victorian boy because he will appreciate this game and the history it has, unlike most of you interstate supporters who think your rich, spoon-fed love-child clubs make the AFL what it is.

Just remember, people will ALWAYS remember the Melbourne Football Club. In 10 years, people will know us as the ORIGINAL club. You'll have nothing to show except a drug epidemic. I will never have respect for interstate clubs until one comes into the league and works on their own accord. It might impossible, but it might give their supporters a little more knowledge and respect for what it takes to be a REAL aussie rules football club.

I suggest you go back into the hole you came out of. I'm guessing there are a lot of them in the city you call Perth....oh, I'm sorry. I meant that town in the desert covered in sand and bush. Most isolated city in the world. Thank god.

Remove this Banner Ad

Question: Why is there so much prestige over being the number one draft pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back