Umpiring Questionable Umpiring Decisions

Remove this Banner Ad

There is a lot that can be said about the umpiring in the Collingwood -Sydney game, but the important thing is the "insufficient intent" rule of the week, not the 50 that wasn't paid.

It seems clear to me that the AFL was making another creeping increment as it moves towards a last touch rule. Once they get that, I suppose they will start on the players rolling over the boundary when tackled to avoid being called for holding the ball. This is certainly more deliberate than the actions that were called last night, but would lead to players refusing to go for the ball when it is too close to the boundary. Not something anyone would want, except perhaps the television men.

And then there is the defensive punch over the boundary in a marking contest. Clearly deliberate, but do we want it outlawed?

The rule guardians should be looking to address the crushing of the game through all the players clustering in a third of the ground, not through extra free kicks for out of bounds. Live matches at the ground look horrible, and even on television the constriction of the playing arena looks awful when the camera pans back. No doubt the AFL will deal with this by banning whole ground shots when it is not centre bounce time, rather than fixing the congestion.

I stopped watching tennis when McInroe was allowed to cheat his way to titles. I stopped watching cricket when it became hostage to the Indian gambling moguls. For me, football is at risk of following those two.

There were at least 3 DOOB that were not correct and a clear missed 50m penalty to Collingwood that would have won them the game. There was also a shocking htb paid to Sydney that should have been a too high to Collingwood.

Justice after the Roos got beaten when the umpires swallowed their whistles when 2 Pies players ran over the mark in the last minute.

I applaud McRae for saying it would have been paid at the " G".
It's now official, in that Collingwood get the MCG travel advantage, the MCG finals advantage and the MCG umpiring advantage.
He basically admits what most of us know..
If you play the pies at the G you will not get a free when it counts. They play there most games in a year, hence why they win so many close games.

Bit worried about the Lions game next week. Umps will now pay 100% everything pies way to say sorry.

And with that remark by Fly, goes his MCG free kick privileges. Bloke needs to grin and bear it, and simply move on.
If we have some MCG free kick privilege we must be completely reamed everywhere else as we average slightly more free kick against than free kicks for.

Can we reframe this thread to be 'Questionable Rule Design'?

The umpires get the blame unfairly - so many of these rules are contradictory and subjective, leaving zero consistency for application.

There is no other professional sport that has this level of inconsistency in umpiring, nor this level of volatility in rule changes. Make the rules clear, and make the umpirable.

You can't have 'incorrect disposal' and allow players to drop the ball, then get free kicks because their tackler didn't see that they had dropped the ball. You can't have rules which unfairly punish players from getting to the ball first. You can't have rules that gift goals for minor infractions that don't really impact the game. Make the rules clear. Also employ your umpires full time ffs.

The results of more and more games are being materially affected by this rubbish. Getting real sick of it.

How the rule was interpreted last night was how I would like it interpreted - the trouble is it isn’t how it is interpreted every week

Just make it last touch out is a FK against, reward teams for trying to keep it alive and penalise sides for running it over or not being in a position to keep it in

Would also eliminate all the confusion

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh, you think Sydney umps are your ally. But you merely adopted the annoyance; We were born in it, moulded by it. We didn't see the frees until It was already game over, by then it was nothing to us!
Screenshot 2024-08-10 134411.png

The 50-metre penalty was obviously there. But I don’t think many people will have sympathy for Collingwood with their recent umpiring run. All clubs probably have at least 1 game in the last 3 seasons where Collingwood benefitted from umpiring

The 50-metre penalty was obviously there.
The 50m penalty was introduced to stop players holding up the game, stop players taking late cheap shots and stop players deliberately going over the mark. None of those things happened.

Yes, officicious umpires may pay those early in the game but i hate it when good games are spoiled by meaningless minor infractions.
i just finished watching the Lions Vs Giants game and noticed they didn't penalise more nimble players from over-running the mark.

The 50m penalty was introduced to stop players holding up the game, stop players taking late cheap shots and stop players deliberately going over the mark. None of those things happened.

Yes, officicious umpires may pay those early in the game but i hate it when good games are spoiled by meaningless minor infractions.
i just finished watching the Lions Vs Giants game and noticed they didn't penalise more nimble players from over-running the mark.
Was that minor though? I felt like that 50 was one of those clear ones that normally get paid IMO.

But I’d much rather umpires let genuine free kicks go late in the game than paying one that wasn’t there.

How the rule was interpreted last night was how I would like it interpreted - the trouble is it isn’t how it is interpreted every week

Just make it last touch out is a FK against, reward teams for trying to keep it alive and penalise sides for running it over or not being in a position to keep it in

Would also eliminate all the confusion
So if you attack the ball and fumble it over the line, or get tackled/pushed and lose control of it, it's a free kick against?

If a player is in reach of a kick from the opposition, but doesn't touch it and let's it go over the line, they get a free kick?

Is that really what you want?

I don't want games decided by 50m penalties, which is why I'm ok with last night just as I was fine with the kangaroos one. In both games, it was the team that let go of a big lead that lost the game, not one umpire indecision.

What does amuse me is the hypocrisy of a lot of people in here who were screaming bloody murder when it happened in Collingwood's favor and are now perfectly fine with it.
Just proves that it was never about the decision and always about anti-Collingwood.

And don't give me this "karma" bullshit - we don't control the whistle, the umpires do, sometimes in our favor and sometimes, like last night, it went against us.

What’s with not recalling centre bounces that clearly skew outside the centre circle?

Massive, obvious one that clearly advantaged North in the last qtr today. Noticed a few in the Eagles game last week as well.

So if you attack the ball and fumble it over the line, or get tackled/pushed and lose control of it, it's a free kick against?

If a player is in reach of a kick from the opposition, but doesn't touch it and let's it go over the line, they get a free kick?

Is that really what you want?
Fallacies and loaded questions

However, I’d ask you - do you think Cox’s FK against for there? Because I don’t.

The rule isn’t currently working, he was trying to keep it in.

Moore was trying to knock it forwards, and it went out - I can understand it being paid but we are basically at the point where knocking it forward and seeing it out is deliberate.

What I would like to see solved, is players seeking contact so that they can take it out. It’s a really amateurish look.

Reward knocking it back into the corridor, owning that becomes even more important.

Remove this Banner Ad

Umpiring Questionable Umpiring Decisions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back