Umpiring Questionable Umpiring Decisions

Remove this Banner Ad

And the lack of HTB for Breust? Or we just focus on the ones the winning team gets ?

I was referring to the 3 free kicks in the last few minutes that everyone else was talking about.

If you want to throw a spanner in the works, go for your life.

Your post is a 'look over there' response.

I'm not interested.

I was referring to the 3 free kicks in the last few minutes that everyone else was talking about.

If you want to throw a spanner in the works, go for your life.

Your post is a 'look over there' response.

I'm not interested.

Because the only frees which count are the ones the winning team gets in the last few minutes.

BTW Newcombe had a GWS player grab him high at the start of the tackle and the arm was still high as they hit the ground and was still high when the umpire blew his whistle, and was even still high when the GWS player used his other arm to protest to the umpire.

But sure, it was late and we won so lets bitch about it.

Because the only frees which count are the ones the winning team gets in the last few minutes.

BTW Newcombe had a GWS player grab him high at the start of the tackle and the arm was still high as they hit the ground and was still high when the umpire blew his whistle, and was even still high when the GWS player used his other arm to protest to the umpire.

But sure, it was late and we won so lets bitch about it.

It was late and incorrect.

The downfield was incorrect he was clearly knocked in the motion of kicking.

Ahh. Even though live and slow motion you see the ball is already on the way.

And over the weekend a number of similar frees got paid, as happens literally every weekend, but none of the others were late in a close game.

People seem to be quite worried about Hawthorn. Feels good !!

Ahh. Even though live and slow motion you see the ball is already on the way.

And over the weekend a number of similar frees got paid, as happens literally every weekend, but none of the others were late in a close game.

People seem to be quite worried about Hawthorn. Feels good !!

Not worried at all about Hawthorn. Garbage free and rarely if ever awarded.

The ball was in the open. While he was off his feet lying on his shoulder, he extended his arm out to reach for the ball, pulled the ball along the ground until it was back in under his chest.

I'd call it a drag.

To each their own. I always thought the intention of that rule was to.prevent players locking the ball in to try and force another stoppage, which I don't think Yeo was doing at all.

Probably technically a free kick but I'd be shocked if they're that hot on it come finals.

To each their own. I always thought the intention of that rule was to.prevent players locking the ball in to try and force another stoppage, which I don't think Yeo was doing at all.

Probably technically a free kick but I'd be shocked if they're that hot on it come finals.
Agreed that that is why the rule was brought in (to reduce stoppages) but its also what happened here - if Yeo left it alone it's likely that Ryan would have picked it up and ran away and the stoppage that did occur would have been avoided.

Like most AFL rules, it's quite subjective but I was just trying to point out that this call was NOT the glaring error that it was made out to be.

Saints coming hard, get to 7 points with 8 minutes to go.

Dubious 50 metre penalty paid for the Stand rule to Brisbane in the middle of the ground - Goal to separate the game.

Just another week in the AFL.
Did the umpire even tell him to get back or anything? Weird decision

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did the umpire even tell him to get back or anything? Weird decision
They're not supposed to give a warning. Windhager wasn't in the marking contest, which means when standing clearly over the mark they give an automatic 50 without calling him back or giving a warning. That's the rule.

They're not supposed to give a warning. Windhager wasn't in the marking contest, which means when standing clearly over the mark they give an automatic 50 without calling him back or giving a warning. That's the rule.
I guess they pick and choose when to apply that rule. Don’t they usually give a warning for breaking the 6-6-6 rule?

I guess they pick and choose when to apply that rule. Don’t they usually give a warning for breaking the 6-6-6 rule?
There aren't that many examples. Windhager was very clearly over the mark, he wasn't close to it, and wasn't in the marking contest. Almost always when you see them calling the player back, they were either in the contest or not considerably over the mark.

Not sure what your point is re 6-6-6.

Dubious 50 metre penalty paid for the Stand rule to Brisbane in the middle of the ground - Goal to separate the game.

Clear 50m for being in front of the mark, nothing to do with the stand rule. If you're not part of the contest and just pull in ahead of the mark from the side like he did they (should) ping you every time

Nothing dubious about it.

Ran in to the protected area and stood well over the mark. Players know the rules, that was a rookie error.

Commentators criticising the umpire when they should have been criticising Windhager for making an undisciplined error.

Umpire had no issue yelling at the Brisbane player don’t kick it don’t kick it after a StKilda free.

Umpire got that wrong.

What about the goal square infringement free to Brisbane.

Remove this Banner Ad

Umpiring Questionable Umpiring Decisions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back