Not open for further replies.

popcap

Debutant
Jul 17, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Hey mate,

Welcome to the board, first and foremost. I'm a relatively new poster but a long time fan and reader, and a lifelong Tigers man. It's great to hear that the club wants to up their online presence - I've been calling for that for a while! It's the best possible interface between club and the fans - and we are, after all, the biggest and most important stakeholders in the mighty RFC.

However, there are a couple of problems with creating online forums for discussion - obviously sometimes people get a little out of hand with what they say. On here it's not so bad, as we have guys like Khan and Tugga to moderate the posts and flag anything a little too edgy, but the Facebook page is a different story. Yesterday's post from the club's page re: Raymond Wong's win of the $100 Tiger Den voucher attracted some of these out of hand discussions - which unfortunately took the form of some rather nasty racial jokes and stereotypes being flung around. I'm no PC nutter, but I do think that an institution as proud and inclusive as the RFC wouldn't want to be associated with that kind of antiquated thinking. I've already posted on the club's official FB page about this and flagged the comments, but the fact that they were up there for nearly 24 hours (and at time of this email remain there) shows that the page isn't updated frequently enough for these sorts of issues to be ironed out quickly, and could potentially open the club up to all sorts of criticisms.

I'd encourage the club, from the perspective of a Masters of Communication student who likes to think that he's in touch with dissecting the mores of internet etiquette and service provision from a corporation's perspective (I work in a small role doing just that for a large brewery), that not only is a statement on the page reinforcing the club's position on inappropriate postings necessary, but also the provision of an employee to track and monitor the goings on on that page on a more regular basis.

Anyway, that may not be your department but I figured this was as good a place as any to raise the issue.

Cheers,

Hamish

Hey mate,

Welcome to the board, first and foremost. I'm a relatively new poster but a long time fan and reader, and a lifelong Tigers man. It's great to hear that the club wants to up their online presence - I've been calling for that for a while! It's the best possible interface between club and the fans - and we are, after all, the biggest and most important stakeholders in the mighty RFC.

However, there are a couple of problems with creating online forums for discussion - obviously sometimes people get a little out of hand with what they say. On here it's not so bad, as we have guys like Khan and Tugga to moderate the posts and flag anything a little too edgy, but the Facebook page is a different story. Yesterday's post from the club's page re: Raymond Wong's win of the $100 Tiger Den voucher attracted some of these out of hand discussions - which unfortunately took the form of some rather nasty racial jokes and stereotypes being flung around. I'm no PC nutter, but I do think that an institution as proud and inclusive as the RFC wouldn't want to be associated with that kind of antiquated thinking. I've already posted on the club's official FB page about this and flagged the comments, but the fact that they were up there for nearly 24 hours (and at time of this email remain there) shows that the page isn't updated frequently enough for these sorts of issues to be ironed out quickly, and could potentially open the club up to all sorts of criticisms.

I'd encourage the club, from the perspective of a Masters of Communication student who likes to think that he's in touch with dissecting the mores of internet etiquette and service provision from a corporation's perspective (I work in a small role doing just that for a large brewery), that not only is a statement on the page reinforcing the club's position on inappropriate postings necessary, but also the provision of an employee to track and monitor the goings on on that page on a more regular basis.

Anyway, that may not be your department but I figured this was as good a place as any to raise the issue.

Cheers,

Hamish

Hey mate, I know what you mean and I've gone through and deleted a few. By the way, that post only went up this morning, so less than 5 hours and I'm well aware of what's going on with those comments.

If anything is offencive whether it be language or discriminatory, I clean it up. I'm all for positive discussion and people seem to think I only delete things that are negative to me or the club, I'm just trying to keep it clean and professional as you said. This is the Richmond Football Club we are representing, and whether its Bigfooty, Facebook, Formspring whatever, we need to represent the club appropriately.

RFC,

Is it possible for you guys to create a youtube account with all of the vids from the RFC website? My work computer blocks the videos on the website, which means I'm probably not the only one who can't view them.

Can we please put a club rule in place to ban drafting tiny indigenous forwards with first rounders forever?

RFC,

Is it possible for you guys to create a youtube account with all of the vids from the RFC website? My work computer blocks the videos on the website, which means I'm probably not the only one who can't view them.

Can we please put a club rule in place to ban drafting tiny indigenous forwards with first rounders forever?

We do have a youtube account now http://www.youtube.com/theafltigers

And there is also a Youtube channel for the AFL that not many people know about either http://www.youtube.com/afl

So the league is definitely starting to embrace YouTube.

We put all our videos on richmondfc.com.au, and the really popular ones on Facebook. We could look at putting all videos across onto YouTube as well

We do have a youtube account now http://www.youtube.com/theafltigers

And there is also a Youtube channel for the AFL that not many people know about either http://www.youtube.com/afl

So the league is definitely starting to embrace YouTube.

We put all our videos on richmondfc.com.au, and the really popular ones on Facebook. We could look at putting all videos across onto YouTube as well
RO, outside of Google, YouTube is the worlds largest search engine. My suggestion is get those vids onto YouTube ASAP to spread the Tiger word around the world. All part of a good Social media Strategy.

Also, if you can get your hands on a few older videos from the early '00s or 90s, then all the better.

I hereby welcome you to my youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/OZsoph
I try to upload everything and anything Richmond related so it includes interviews from TV talk shows, game highlights and all the Roar Vision videos.

Now that the AFL have a channel I won't need to upload the highlights anymore and maybe the Richmond youtube channel can do the Roar Vision stuff? Then I can just upload the little things I pick up during games (ie, Mitch Morton v Jarryd Morton on-field tantrum http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-1MSmusPe0 etc)

RO, outside of Google, YouTube is the worlds largest search engine. My suggestion is get those vids onto YouTube ASAP to spread the Tiger word around the world. All part of a good Social media Strategy.

Also, if you can get your hands on a few older videos from the early '00s or 90s, then all the better.

There are certain things in place which limits what we can/cant put up there.

What does the club have planned for the opening of the new centre at Punt Road - As an Inaugural Social Club member will there be something for people like me to come along and have a squizz at it ?

Cheers

peejay

Fans will definitely be invited along in some capacity, we will decide that closer to that date around end of the year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

RO, following on from this thread by Equus, I suggest the club re-visit the moratorium on past members having their tenure re-instated.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=753249

17% opposing doesn't seem to be high enough to me to not go ahead with it. Would certainly like to understand their reasoning.

Welcome RFC_O.,

I have liked your posts thus far and your efforts online for the B&F were well done. Pity the Herald Sun had to ruin that for some of us.

Any way, a few years ago I was fortunate enough to be part of a group called the forum group, we were a bunch of people from all walks of life having Richmond supporting in common. We would meet in the board room at Punt rd and discuss all manner of things from marketing and membership strategies to members rewards and the like. There was a fair bit of unofficial team discussion too. It was a 2 year rotation setup whereby you stayed for two years and had a task to perform within the group.

Unfortunately the group disbanded because the host took off to the Victory as a marketing guru for them.

I won't mention names but I'm sure you would be aware of whom i refer.

Any chance that something like the forum will be returning to the club in the future? It was a good initiative I thought meeting approx. once a month and discussing all things Tigers.

"R" rating for "shyteness" i would have thought ... :p

Speaking of shytness ... tell us why Jordie was the only player on our list not to get a run this year ?;)

Suns ?

If I was Dimma I could tell you
Ha ha. 6 months on here honing your diplomacy skills and you'll be ready to open an Israeli Embassy in Gaza

Two small suggestions for mine:

I love the Eye of the Tiger section of the website but it's seriously clunky to find/access, in a world where there's such rich Internet sites the overeliance on dated features is a bit frustrating (someone also mentioned Roar Vision - I own the fastest Telstra Internet and it still struggled to buffer)

Second, you say we have this brilliantly marketable group - it'd be something really lovely if you gave us access to some fan material like hi res wallpapers, most other clubs do it (I'm tempted to use Geelong's just because they look so great) but for some reason it's nigh on impossible to find RFC stuff.

Cheers :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back