10k Posts
Mar 16, 2005
True centre half forward
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Hibees
Alright Eagles types -

Not wanting to troll your board, but if (when?) we beat you this weekend, will it 'count' now that Judd is back?

When it looked like Judd was out, a few mouth breathers from crap sides like Melbourne and Richmond were alreday beginning to say 'Oh, if North beat WCE without Kerr, Judd and Cousins it won't count'.

But now Judd's back, we are both missing two key players from our teams: you with Kerr and Cousins and us with Thompson and Wells.

Will you feel aggrieved due to injury if you lose?

Alright Eagles types -

Not wanting to troll your board, but if (when?) we beat you this weekend, will it 'count' now that Judd is back?

When it looked like Judd was out, a few mouth breathers from crap sides like Melbourne and Richmond were alreday beginning to say 'Oh, if North beat WCE without Kerr, Judd and Cousins it won't count'.

But now Judd's back, we are both missing two key players from our teams: you with Kerr and Cousins and us with Thompson and Wells.

With or whithout, it always counts.

Alright Eagles types -

If we lose North will be the better team just like last week the Hawks were the better team.

At the moment the Roos are probably playing at their peak while we are stuggling a little.

I think it will honestly come down to (like last week with us) our forward lines ability to turn forward 50 entries into goals - NOT BLOODY POINTS!!!

Should be a good one though, No more injuries please!

You can't dispute that the Kangaroos can match it with West Coast at full strength. Not many teams can and the Roos certainly can't so if they do win (doubtful) it will be because of WC's weakened line up.

• Banned
It will be interesting. FWIW - I think us not having Wells will be very damaging. You need a genuine touch of class against truly top sides like you lot and not having him hurts.

Still, should be a cracker of a game.

Alright Eagles types -

If you win, the kangas will get 4 points. So yeah, it counts

If we lose at home to North, then they deserve the win. I won't use injuries as an excuse as we do have a lot of depth than can cover our missing stars. Though some are sadly out of form, I also feel we may have been worked out since the Geelong game where they stopped our handballing game and applied hard pressure on our ball players.

I also think in some regards that the Eagles also are over using the handball at times and do get caught out and turn the ball over quickly. Our goal ratio is shocking and if we kicked a little straighter, we may have had a slight chance to pull off the Hawks game.

If North beat us at HOME, then they certainly deserve the win and the four points. There will be no excuses by me. Laidley has the team up and running well, playing a fantastic game of football and deserve the accolades that come there way.

If we lose at home to North, then they deserve the win. I won't use injuries as an excuse as we do have a lot of depth than can cover our missing stars. Though some are sadly out of form, I also feel we may have been worked out since the Geelong game where they stopped our handballing game and applied hard pressure on our ball players.

This bodes well for us given that intensity at the man and the ball carrier has been a trademark of a new plan.

I also think in some regards that the Eagles also are over using the handball at times and do get caught out and turn the ball over quickly. Our goal ratio is shocking and if we kicked a little straighter, we may have had a slight chance to pull off the Hawks game.

Same with us. If we'd kicked straight in the third quarter against the Dess, there would have be no chance of a comeback.

If North beat us at HOME, then they certainly deserve the win and the four points. There will be no excuses by me. Laidley has the team up and running well, playing a fantastic game of football and deserve the accolades that come there way.

I agree. I'll be thrilled if we can get over you guys in WA.

I'm hoping Aaron Edwards will be keen to show you what you gave up.

Alright Eagles types -

Apart from the fact that we are missing way more than two key players from our team (Cousins, Kerr, Butler, Hansen, Nicoski, Embley, Wirrpanda and possibly Chick, all are in our best 22).

Will I feel agrieved if we lose? Yes, because I hate losing.

Will it count? Of course it does, every team (except Sydney :mad: ) has its injuries at times and you just have to get on with it.

Hope we give it all we have got, if we do that and lose, then you are the better team and deserved winners.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You can't dispute that the Kangaroos can match it with West Coast at full strength. Not many teams can and the Roos certainly can't so if they do win (doubtful) it will be because of WC's weakened line up.

Eagles in the last few outings have been close to full strength and have struggled a bit to shrug us off. I feel we are a better side this year despite the problems with our forward line.

As for full strength, we are not full strength either. You may have a few more senior players missing but that is largely self-inflicted, Cousins and Kerr are fit to play. Nothing wrong with Sampi eiher other than attitude. It is a luxury for any side to be remotely close to full strength in terms of injuries, players get hurt.

We have had to cope with only two of our six regular forwards from last year. Thompson (out of season), Harding (out for most of season), Rocca (retired) and LeCras/Jones were given the arse.

We have very much a make-shift forward line at present, I think if the Eagles can't beat us at home it would say a lot more about the eagles than us. ;)

Most of your missing players are midfielders/running players and if you could muster 423 disposals against the Hawks who have a pretty good midfield then I don't think lack of supply is the issue.

So Kerr, Cousins, Embley, Nicoski, etc are available, who do you take out? Fletcher had 36 disposals, Priddis had 31, Jones 29, Judd 26, Rosa 29, Braun 27, Waters 24, etc. The missing players would no doubt get plenty of the ball, but the ones that have replaced them are also getting plenty of the ball so what would there be that much of an upside? Probably in terms of use of the ball I would agree with that.

I think the problem the Eagles have is at the top end. Lynch has kicked 16 goals and Hansen 12, the rest of the goals have come from midfielders or pinch hitters like Panda and Hunter.

We aren't exactly setting the world on fire either but our forward line is at best makeshift. We focus more on isolating smaller forwards, it is why Grant has kicked 21, Corey Jones 17 and Harvey 17. Our "key" forwards in Brown 13, Petrie 7 (plays ruck and defense a lot), Edwards 7 and Hale 6 is not all that far off the Eagles key forward output and I freely admit our forward line is at best ghetto.

The challenge for the Eagles against us is who do you match up. Nobody on our forward line has fired for more than a few games in a row, when one player is well held the attack focuses on another player until we get an avenue to goal that is working. I think that is difficult to shut down, it will have to come from shutting down the supply in the middle and slow the movement of the ball.

I still think because the teams are strong and weak in similar areas that the end result will be a close game.

Alright Eagles types -

4 Points speaks volume.;)

You may have a few more senior players missing but that is largely self-inflicted, Cousins and Kerr are fit to play. Nothing wrong with Sampi eiher....We have had to cope with only two of our six regular forwards from last year....Rocca (retired) and LeCras/Jones were given the arse..

I respect your opinion Tas but youre being a tad hypocritical there.

Most of your missing players are midfielders/running players and if you could muster 423 disposals against the Hawks who have a pretty good midfield then I don't think lack of supply is the issue.

So Kerr, Cousins, Embley, Nicoski, etc are available, who do you take out? Fletcher had 36 disposals, Priddis had 31, Jones 29, Judd 26, Rosa 29, Braun 27, Waters 24, etc. The missing players would no doubt get plenty of the ball, but the ones that have replaced them are also getting plenty of the ball so what would there be that much of an upside? Probably in terms of use of the ball I would agree with that.

You're right that we wont be able to get more possessions regardless of who's playing but I think the difference between guys like Kerr, Cousins and Embley and guys like LeCras, Armstrong and Rosa is very pronounced.

The difference isn't just disposal, it's blocking, it's poise, it's stamia, experience, strength, pretty much anything and everything.

I think the problem the Eagles have is at the top end. Lynch has kicked 16 goals and Hansen 12, the rest of the goals have come from midfielders or pinch hitters like Panda and Hunter.

True, but it's always been like this for us.

This continued civility and intelligent discussion is freaking me out.

<not needed - GB> We're going to the Gold Coast!

Anyway, thanks for the replies guys. It will be a cracking game and in many ways, I'm glad Judd is playing - it always good to test yourself against the best.

I respect your opinion Tas but youre being a tad hypocritical there.

Well, there is a difference between injured and not available. It is not like you are being cruely delt a blow. I think Hansen is the biggest out you have, a guy which I think can't easily be replaced. KPPs are a bitch to replace.

You're right that we wont be able to get more possessions regardless of who's playing but I think the difference between guys like Kerr, Cousins and Embley and guys like LeCras, Armstrong and Rosa is very pronounced.

The difference isn't just disposal, it's blocking, it's poise, it's stamia, experience, strength, pretty much anything and everything.

I agree, huge difference in Kerr and Cousins disposals to some of the other running players. They also work a lot harder around the ground. I still think the Eagles can lose a mountain of midfielders without it hurting the club severely because of the depth you have in that department.

Lynch, Hansen, Glass and Hunter not so easy to replace. You have some promising kids to try in some of those areas but I think it will be a bigger variance than going from Kerr to say Priddis. Maybe not against us, our defense isn't the tightest in the league but against others probably so.

True, but it's always been like this for us.

Thats how it is with KPPs, you have made in-roads to finding more depth in that area but many young KPPs take several years to fill out and be of much use to you, can take a while before you even know if you are on a winner or not.

Alright Eagles types -

Can't believe the number of people rating the Kangawhos? a serious chance this week. (regardless of the availability of C.Judd).

In the last two weeks they've beaten Carlton (2-7) by 17 points and Melbourne (0-9) by a point. In the Melb game in particular the way you stopped in the 4th quarter would have to be a huge concern when a game at the AFL's largest ground is next up. A nice warm 23 degrees is waiting for you as well.

If ever a team is cherry ripe for a loss at the moment its your mob.

Eags by 5-6 goals going away.

So, Aaron Edwards will be playing. Will Kasey Green be playing for North? Are there any other ex-WC players in the team?

Green may actually get a run given our statements that Arch won't be making long interstate trips but something tells me he might break the rule for this one.

that pre season game in the top end was the last time we really got away from the roos. ever since then it has been tough going

should be a good game. hansen missing is going to be the real killer for us, we have traditionally struggled without him, and with no kerr to get the hard ball, our clearance play will be off too. need hurn, rosa and priddis to pick up the slack again.

hopefully we can get the 4 points, get kerr back next week and one week closer to nico, embers and cuz coming back.

Well, there is a difference between injured and not available. It is not like you are being cruely delt a blow. I think Hansen is the biggest out you have, a guy which I think can't easily be replaced. KPPs are a bitch to replace.

I think (and cut in if I'm wrong, Jimmy) he's more making the point that its a bit crazy to claim you're undermanned on the basis of delistings and retirements from last year- I mean, what, we're battling on bravely without Banfield, McDougall and Gardiner?

Regarding the game, looking forward to it, it should be a good test for us at subi.

What we're missing at the moment is
-clearance grunt. We have a lot of midfielders who can run and carry and use it well, but Kerr and Cousins account for 2/3rds of our prime onball decision, against Hawthorn, we were in touch until Judd went to the bench, and then suddenly we got smashed out of the centre for a ten minute period and the game was gone- the backup onballers (Stenglein, Selwood, Priddis) are competent, especially at subi, but clearances are critical to our gameplan, and it simply isn't possible to replace 2 of the top 5 onballers in the game.

-Structural quality. Basically, without Hansen we're a 2 to 3 goal worse side.

-Goal kicking firepower. Aside from being an extra runner, Embley is usually worth a couple of goals up forward a game due to his overhead ability.

Really, not withstanding that though, 4 pts is 4pts, regardless of who is or isn't playing. If you're hoping to get respect from the football world by knocking us off, that's fair enough I guess, but if I were in your position, I'd be happy to play the WCE 4th grade ressies if it meant another win in the bank.

From our perspective, we're tracking along okay, and we're (hopefully) going to get a lot of quality back for the second half of the year- the excellent start means we can afford to drop a few games and still stay in touch with top 2, so a win or a loss at this point isn't really the end of the world.

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick question for you Eagles types

Remove this Banner Ad

Back