Toast Quinton Narkle

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the call is one of the reasons it’s not better remembered.

it should be regarded as one of the all time great grand final goals. And the fact it sealed the premiership makes it extra awesome.

but the commentary ruined it.

I wish there were a copy of the K Rock call of that goal. I'm almost certain they would have given that goal rightful credit.

He has to leave for his career now. This isn’t a case of Ablett choosing 1.6 million a year vs 1 million.

this is now a choice between no career and a career.
Huh?

he has 2 options - leave or stay

if he leaves he has a career, if he stays he still has a career. Where is the “no career’ scenario in any of this?

If that is true, Scott was correct. The price we paid for Cameron was absolutely worth it. We got him for unders.

Not sure about “unders” but the 2 second rounders coming back certainly makes it much more palatable. I don’t see last years draft as being overly strong around the picks we held prior to the Cameron trade so I don’t think we forfeited too much in that sense.

In fact, we may find that the players we pick up with these 2 2nd round picks are better than what we could have taken last year with the 3 firsts.

So disappointing as IMO it was one of the greatest individual goals in Grand Final history. 🤬

The truly exceptional part was the running, and at that stage of the game. The goal itself was very good.

As for greatest individual goals, there's more than a few I can think of just from Geelong players that have it covered pretty easily.

I wonder if the philosophy and decisions in recent times about drafting decisions and player selections were part of a broader reason that SW took a break?

He was reportedly unhappy with the price paid for JC.......I wonder if the MC's decisions and direction with the Best 22 also played a part in his discontent?

That said, he's back at the club now, so perhaps it was just nothing more than a grievance with Troy.

What report was that?

Link please?

As a mid, there is no comparison. Narkle is far better than O’Connor. The only justification for O’Connor playing in front would be as a hard tagger on Boak/Wines. He offers nothing much else as a mid.

Of course you are entitled to that opinion.

Not one I remotely agree with.

As a mid, there is no comparison. Narkle is far better than O’Connor. The only justification for O’Connor playing in front would be as a hard tagger on Boak/Wines. He offers nothing much else as a mid.
Based on their efforts this year, I'd say it's a lot closer compared with idea that Narkle is a far better midfielder

Yes Narkle averages more disposals & inside 50s, but O'Connor has a higher disposal efficiency, and averages more tackles, clearances and centre clearances, but they're pretty even across other areas

ECBCB64B-621E-4ED4-BA13-1E6E0E679B27.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Based on their efforts this year, I'd say it's a lot closer compared with idea that Narkle is a far better midfielder

Yes Narkle averages more disposals & inside 50s, but O'Connor has a higher disposal efficiency, and averages more tackles, clearances and centre clearances, but they're pretty even across other areas

View attachment 1151742

I would suggest that O'Connor's higher disposal efficiency is almost certainly due to him almost always taking an easy short option. Blind Freddie can see that Narkle is a far better kick than O'Connor. Far more creative. O'Connor obviously has a better defensive record as that's what he's in their for! As a tagger. Stats tell a lot sometimes without telling much.

I would suggest that O'Connor's higher disposal efficiency is almost certainly due to him almost always taking an easy short option. Blind Freddie can see that Narkle is a far better kick than O'Connor. Far more creative. O'Connor obviously has a better defensive record as that's what he's in their for! As a tagger. Stats tell a lot sometimes without telling much.

Sorry but none of that really stands up

Narkle averages 19.2 disposals per match, including an average of 12 handballs per match versus only 7.2 kicks

Meanwhile from O'Connors 16.8 disposals, it's spilt 8.6 kicks to 8.2 handballs

So considering that when breaking down their disposals that Narkle has a higher percentage of handballs versus kicks, surely it would then be reasonable to suggest that he should also have a higher disposal efficiency

As for the apparent "short easy option", Narkle averages 218.8 metres gained per match and breaking that down it works out at 11.36 metres gained per disposal. As for O'Connor, he averages 193.8 metres gained per match or 11.53 metres per disposal - obviously that's influenced by Narkle preferring to go by hand rather than foot, but would think that should then also boost his disposal efficiency

If he wants to walk there's not much the club can do to stop him. He's OOC at the end of 2021.

Narkle was medical sub this week....may well get a run against the Dogs, although our best mid is apparently fit and raring to go against the Bulldogs.

I would prefer the younger Narkle than journeyman Dahlhaus any day of the week, l reckon the speed and agility Narkle brings is something special that team's need going into final series, you need a young player on the up amongst the seasoned veterans for that perfect balance imo.

If he wants to walk there's not much the club can do to stop him. He's OOC at the end of 2021.

Narkle was medical sub this week....may well get a run against the Dogs, although our best mid is apparently fit and raring to go against the Bulldogs.

Yep. Any OOC player not getting games is almost worthless and can walk if they want.

I hope they find a way to get past the difficulties of finding a spot for him. I don't think Higgins added that much last night yet I doubt we will be dropped from the side... and Guthrie has to come back in.

yep good luck trying to find a way in atm.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Quinton Narkle

Remove this Banner Ad

Back