Toast Quinton Narkle

Remove this Banner Ad

Loving the misinformed outrage.

Issue for Narkle is he is really good at one thing and trash at everything else. Now when you have a Brownlow winner, Duncan, Guth who is in AA form who can play that role they easily get the spot over him.

Great learning time for him, he needs to improve in other areas. Tackles are lacking, fwd presence etc.

Improve in these areas and he get a starting 22 gig but he is gonna have the same issues in WA unless Cerra leaves as both teams have strong players in their mids and questionable if you start Narkle over them.

Love the kid, hope he takes this week as a real kick to improve on these areas.

There are plenty of sides narkle wouldnt get a game at. Melbourne, port, brisbane, west coast, richmond, probably wouldnt go for him. His your classic good B grade midfielder who is very one dimensional with his game.

Will imagine he is off to a bottok 8 side at end of year like gold coast.

Narkle and possibly Clark walking was always going to be a heightened risk once they recruited Higgins and Smith and also had to resign Cuthrie this year (to commit a big pile of cash for that).

MC have consistently showed preference for preferred 22 structure but geez it is an ‘all or nothing’ gamble - with no high ND picks this year and Selwood and possibly Duncan on point of retirement and Dangerfield starting to lose resilience. Payoff for such risky play has to be a premiership- anything less is a failure.

Yes, it appears we’ve completely mortgaged our future in the hope we’ll jag a flag in the next 2 years. And then Scott will bugger off leaving us in a mess. But don’t worry, he’ll leave with a wonderful h&a record.

There’s a bit of selfishness creeping in at Kardinia Park. And if we lose Narkle and Clark as a consequence, then it impacts our future prospects.

Yes, it appears we’ve completely mortgaged our future in the hope we’ll jag a flag in the next 2 years. And then Scott will bugger off leaving us in a mess. But don’t worry, he’ll leave with a wonderful h&a record.

There’s a bit of selfishness creeping in at Kardinia Park. And if we lose Narkle and Clark as a consequence, then it impacts our future prospects.

I wonder if the philosophy and decisions in recent times about drafting decisions and player selections were part of a broader reason that SW took a break?

He was reportedly unhappy with the price paid for JC.......I wonder if the MC's decisions and direction with the Best 22 also played a part in his discontent?

That said, he's back at the club now, so perhaps it was just nothing more than a grievance with Troy.

I’ve had similar thoughts but dismissed them as lacking veracity. I’m not so sure now.

To link the criticism with latent rascism is a bridge too far imo. I don't see criticism being focused any more so on our indigenous players than others like Dahl, Stanley, Chook, Kolo, Atkins etc.

Classic example: everyone remembers Scarlett's toepoke, Ablett's rushed kick, Chapman's goal. How many noticed or celebrated the selfless act of shepherding multiple St Kilda defenders in the goalsquare to set it up?
Im really not sure what your talking about. His goal in the 2011 GF was anything but lazy and every Geelong supporter you ask about it thinks the same.
This thread is going off the rails.
I’m extremely shocked about Narkles omission as well but we don’t need to bring his race into it.

Probably true but Seeds makes some good points. Narkle’s flaws seem to be highlighted and not accepted more than those other players that are still getting games.

Not long ago the majority of posters here declared Narkle wasn't up to AFL standard and would promptly be delisted. Now he's shown a glimmer of talent, and human nature being what it is, some will downplay it to justify their original opinion.

Others see absolutely no wrong in anything the club says or does and - in this case - point to shortcomings in Narkle's game to defend the Club's decision.

Then, of course, some of the criticism is actually justified. No player is perfect, and until now he has not demanded selection. He's coming off the back of a couple of good games, and the opportunity / justification is there to continue playing him, but the MC has decided otherwise. I for one am very disappointed in that call, but do acknowledge we have a lot of competition for Best 22 with players returning.

This disappointment is accentuated by the knowledge that Dahl continues to get games when he's virtually useless, Sav is floating around doing nothing, and Higgins is ordinary.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is all linked to the rails run we afford our imports their selection needs to be merit based too on now not the past.Play well enough you get selected providing it can be done and maintain team balance,Narkle should be there this week with a bit of a reshuffle and Stanley instead of a very disappointing Sav.
Reward players for effort and hard work and good things will happen.

Classic example: everyone remembers Scarlett's toepoke, Ablett's rushed kick, Chapman's goal. How many noticed or celebrated the selfless act of shepherding multiple St Kilda defenders in the goalsquare to set it up?
Nor the Fact Varcoe was involved in about 5 goals that day in a low scoring game. Everyone spoke about Byrnes great running in that last qtr. Varcoe was just as pivotal in providing run.

vaccoe was one of the best tacklers in the side but was often labelled soft defensively by some supporters.

In narkles breakout 34 touch game against Gold Coast the Mod who opened the post game thread said Narkle Was great but then focussed solely on his apparent weak defensive efforts in his review. Not even in that game but just spoke about how narkle is a weak defensive player. This is the game narkle had 34 disposals.

that just would not happen for young non indiginous players having a break out game. When oconnor had his great breakout game against brisbane earlier this year the review was not Oconnor was great, but he needs to offer more offensively.

So one player was criticised for their defensive efforts, and the other for their offensive efforts......I don't see any discrimination there at all.

Every player has flaws, and opinions here will wax and wane with varying intensity.

I think we're jumping at shadows here.

So one player was criticised for their defensive efforts, and the other for their offensive efforts......I don't see any discrimination there at all.

Every player has flaws, and opinions here will wax and wane with varying intensity.

I think we're jumping at shadows here.
No the others were not criticised in their break out game for their weaknesses. Only narkle was in his break out game.

it was just an utterly bizarre thing to focus on about a player after he had played such a great game.

Seriously don’t think O’Connor is a walk up start either.

He absolutely is he has been at a high level for way more than 3 weeks unlike narks (and i like narks).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He absolutely is he has been at a high level for way more than 3 weeks unlike narks (and i like narks).
As a defender Yes you are right. As a mid well he had an excellent first half against Neale. Neale beat him in the second half though. Then oconnor got beaten in the mid by Melbourne and was forced to go back to defence. O’Connor’s game in the mids against west coast was solid.

i take narkles last 3 games (we count the second half against Richmond where narkle came on as sub after half time and dominated) in the mids over O’Connor’s.

I wonder if the philosophy and decisions in recent times about drafting decisions and player selections were part of a broader reason that SW took a break?

He was reportedly unhappy with the price paid for JC.......I wonder if the MC's decisions and direction with the Best 22 also played a part in his discontent?

That said, he's back at the club now, so perhaps it was just nothing more than a grievance with Troy.

I believe that to be true. Wells didn’t want to spend the capital we did to secure Cameron. Scott wanted him at all costs.

As a defender Yes you are right. As a mid well he had an excellent first half against Neale. Neale beat him in the second half though. Then oconnor got beaten in the mid by Melbourne and was forced to go back to defence. O’Connor’s game in the mids against west coast was solid.

i take narkles last 3 games (we count the second half against Richmond where narkle came on as sub after half time and dominated) in the mids over O’Connor’s.

As a mid, there is no comparison. Narkle is far better than O’Connor. The only justification for O’Connor playing in front would be as a hard tagger on Boak/Wines. He offers nothing much else as a mid.

Probably true but Seeds makes some good points. Narkle’s flaws seem to be highlighted and not accepted more than those other players that are still getting games.
The club can do no wrong arse kissers are the ones looking for reasons he was omitted, like defensive efforts, to justify the club can do no wrong approach.

It’s not racism, more than a lack of spine to criticise their club.

Why would anyone think his 2011 goal, one of the great grand final goals of the past 30 years where he threw himself at a marking contest with complete bravery and then ran the length of the ground was lazy? Why would you even bring up lazy in reference to that goal?

does he have to perform one of the games great plays just for you to say supporters dont think him lazy because of that?

is that the bar indiginous players have to achieve to not be thought of as lazy and soft?
I brought it up because the previous poster was eluding to the fact that Varcoe didn’t get enough credit for a Shepard in the 09 GF and that he was seen as lazy by some people.

You have had your melts about Narkles omission in a couple of threads mate. I think it’s time to stop.
Your flogging a dead horse.

I have no doubt that is a large part of it. There are certain posters who post hoc look for reasons why team selections go certain ways And then blow th,e up to be bigger then they are.

But the soft, lazy criticisms existed before he was dropped last night.
But his offensive form makes the defensive part less of an issue.

It makes more sense when he was getting 15 touches and his opponent was getting 25+.

If a mid is getting 34 touches and continually driving the ball forward, that’s 34 times the opposition isn’t doing it. We accept Danger doing it. Or is only he allowed to do it?

Or do we want zuthries 3 effective disposals “but what is his opponent doing?” 🤦🏼‍♂️
Narkle also has pretty good disposal unlike Dangerfield. Narkle gets contested ball too. Very rarely is narkle on the end of sideways chip kick Like a Duncan or menegola is. Narkle also can break away from the contest. Narkles strength is not tackling. but does that offset his strenths? Not even remotely. His tackling is not terrible, it’s just not great, and terrible tackling wouldn’t offset those strengths anyway.

the big thing holding narkle back was finding the ball. It does not appear to be holding him back now. Been averaging 13 disposals a half for the past 5 halves of football.

Do we even need a tagger? Who has been our tagger the past 6 weeks?

Fair point. I actually quite like O’Connor as a player. Think that he’s in our best 22. I’d play him, when fit, in front of Kolojashnij.

But this weeks selection, bringing two underdone players in together makes me nervous. It should be staggered. Even if that means Danger waits another week.

Fair point. I actually quite like O’Connor as a player. Think that he’s in our best 22. I’d play him, when fit, in front of Kolojashnij.

But this weeks selection, bringing two underdone players in together makes me nervous. It should be staggered. Even if that means Danger waits another week.
He is definitely in our best 22. Whether that’s mid or defence though is up for debate? regardless there is room for both him and narkle to play in the middle. About 6-7 players go through the middle and both can spend time outside. Oconnor can play back and narkle can play foward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Quinton Narkle

Remove this Banner Ad

Back