Toast Quinton Narkle

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't go bumping old player threads when we're waiting on the man to re-sign!

Edit - nice analysis though. I don't agree with all points, and I think Narkle has a long way to go, but good stuff. I don't think the "lack of a tank" analysis is fair, I think he had 23 disposals in the second half against Gold Coast? And he played 83% TOG in his most recent game. It's a bit simplistic to explain low TOG% with having an inadequate tank. I'll be more interested to see how he fares when we have Danger, Guthrie, Duncan, etc. etc. all back in the team and we're playing against a serious opposition.

I mean his ToG for his career is incredibly low at 64%. Yes - there are some sub infected games in that but what else would it possibly be? Player management within games? As others have alluded to - I think his tank is definitely part of the problem with his low ToG.

I mean his ToG for his career is incredibly low at 64%. Yes - there are some sub infected games in that but what else would it possibly be? Player management within games? As others have alluded to - I think his tank is definitely part of the problem with his low ToG.
You make a lot of sense, any chance you could talk to some of our fans about Charlie Constable?

He has an excellent fend off. See him using it a few times a game.
He's actually quite confident using it.

I thought Dangerfield mentioned it in an interview at the start of the year.

I love that he's potentially becoming what we wanted Cockatoo to be.

Definitely need to sign him up for a few years. I dont want to see him become Dusty's protege and then replacement...

Quinton Narkle says his No. 1 priority remains his on-field performance as the Geelong midfielder approaches the end of his current contract.

Narkle last November signed a one-year deal that tied him to the club until the end of the 2021 season.

Asked on K rock Football where discussions were at, Narkle said on Saturday: “I’m not too sure right now. “I haven’t really thought about it.

“I’m just trying to play the best footy I can, and that’s all I can do right now.”

The 23-year-old has played just 22 games since being selected with Pick 60 in the 2016 draft, yet has played the last four games in a row.

Narkle had a career-best game against the Suns on Saturday, finishing with career-high disposals (34), contested possessions (15), marks (8) and inside 50s (6).

Asked if it was the best performance of his AFL career to date, Narkle said: “I hope so. I haven’t had a lot of opportunities, but so far I’m pretty happy with my game. Hopefully I can be a bit more consistent going forward.”

4 is getting a bit spicy. 3 should be good. I think at his stage he might be consider that his next contract after this could be higher

He may well back himself to get a better offer next time though the security of an extra year would be enticing. Either way we need to lock him in for a few years at least.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t care! Hold him down with a pen , the contract and a gun to his head.

Funny place BF.

Not long ago it seemed most here reckoned he wasn't capable of playing at senior level, and he was regularly nominated as a player to be culled.

Now we're talking a multi-year contract.

Funny place BF.

Not long ago it seemed most here reckoned he wasn't capable of playing at senior level, and he was regularly nominated as a player to be culled.

Not me. As Art Vandelay_ would attest to, I’ve always been a fan (btw, where has that poster disappeared to since Narkle showed his worth?)

Funny place BF.

I'm happy with what we've seen the past couple of weeks but I'm keen to see how he goes over the next period of time especially if looking at a 3/4 year deal

I know he may spend less time in the guts as other players return, but I want to see how he adapts to the role he's then asked to play when Guthrie, Duncan and even Dangerfield return - can he keep playing at the same intensity & impacting matches without necessarily having the same number of touches

Funny place BF.

It was pretty binary though. Either he can run out games and is brilliant or can't and has no place at the level. Now Schroedingers Cat has started meowing to tell us he's alive

It was pretty binary though. Either he can run out games and is brilliant or can't and has no place at the level. Now Schroedingers Cat has started meowing to tell us he's alive
Interestingly, he's lack of TOG isn't something I had noticed in previous seasons as he seemed to be involved when he was on the ground and having an impact

The St Kilda match this year was the first time that I really recall noticing that I wasn't noticing him the longer the match went on

Definitely a good sign that he's spending longer on the ground over recent matches and not fade

Hey Cats fans,

On FTP this week we discussed the intriguing prospect that is Quinton Narkle and how I believe he will be important come later in the year.

Apologies for the long post but I have to post it all here. The full article is here -https://footytalkingpoints.com.au/2021/06/03/ftp-11/

If you enjoyed this - please check out our website and subscribe!

Quinton Narkle (#19) is one to watch for the Geelong Cats. He’s been given more opportunity this year to play inside midfield and has shown great signs. Narkle is a bull – possessing both the strength and speed to brush tackles aside. It was quite an interesting comparison when Smith said Narkle was a ‘bit like Dusty’. Obviously he wasn’t comparing him to the kind of output that a Brownlow Medal winner and 3 time North Smith medalist produces week to week but more so the type of qualities that Narkle possesses. You can kind of see it. Narkle breaks out of tackles and stoppages with ease – look at this passage of play and tell me it doesn’t remind you a little of Dusty.

His decision making has also improved out of sight – here holding onto the ball just long enough to fool the Saints defender to the outside option before nailing the inside kick.

Narkle is what many at Geelong thought Nakia Cockatoo could be – an inside midfield bull with great burst out of stoppage. Narkle’s production has increased immensely this year – averaging 19.2 disposals (significant increase from last year even factoring in shorter quarters) and his disposal efficiency has increased. His ToG is worrying at only 60.3% (although impacted by a game where he was the medical sub) – which points to a broader issue potentially regarding Narkle’s lack of a tank to run out games (his averages in the last two years hover from 57-64% which is incredibly low).

Regardless, he adds a different dynamic to a midfield of Selwood, Duncan, Menegola and Parfitt but has a lot of like for like qualities to the currently injured Dangerfield.

For a team that has been ridiculed for recruiting older type players and for having one of the more mature sides in the league – it must be rewarding for Cats fans to see a young talent like Narkle start to perform at AFL standard. It’s quite surprising he’s only played 6 games this year given he has shown both in the St Kilda game and on the weekend what he is capable of. 6 games is the most he has ever played in a season so that will clearly be beaten.

It may be a shock to say this but I believe Narkle will be important to a Cat’s premiership push. Because of his unique qualities it wouldn’t be farfetched to see Narkle step up in a big moment – by kicking a clutch goal or winning an important clearance when the Cats need it most. Narkle is one to watch for the rest of this year.

Cockatoo was more explosive and less subtle by foot. Narkle has touch by foot although not as good with his setshot as he should be. He has a nice blend of strength and speed. The test for Narlke will be if is he best 22 when all are avilable. If he holds his spot then he should be able to demand a bigger slice of the cake. His age etc is exactly what our list needs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Quinton Narkle

Remove this Banner Ad

Back