Toast Quinton Narkle

Remove this Banner Ad

Wonder if Narkle has already indicated he's looking as his options going forward and maybe that's influencing this decision

Meh, if he deserves to be in the team he deserves to be in the team. There's plenty of examples of players who have indicated their desire to leave who have continued to be picked and continued to perform well.

What more can you do to stay in the side? Who cares what the ins are. They are all coming off injuries. I’d rather play guys in form against a contender like Port in a big game away from home then blokes who aren’t match fit. Don’t blame him at all if he leaves at the end of the year. Our future is very bleak we either don’t develop younger players or get rid of the ones that are any good.

Meh, if he deserves to be in the team he deserves to be in the team. There's plenty of examples of players who have indicated their desire to leave who have continued to be picked and continued to perform well.
I can only really think of Kelly. In honesty, during that GC game where Narkle racked up quite a few possessions I kept thinking to myself: why is Selwood constantly trying to seek out Narkle all the time with passes late in the game? As if he was consciously trying to boost his stats. Still had a good game mind you irrespective of that. But I'm now convinced he'll seek opportunity elsewhere which will be sad as he's one of my favourite players and who I see as a possible leader.

What more can you do to stay in the side? Who cares what the ins are. They are all coming off injuries. I’d rather play guys in form against a contender like Port in a big game away from home then blokes who aren’t match fit. Don’t blame him at all if he leaves at the end of the year. Our future is very bleak we either don’t develop younger players or get rid of the ones that are any good.

I know there's been players we've tried to keep & put contracts in front of but they have still opted to move on.

But which young players that we haven't made an effort to keep and instead we just got rid of have actually hurt us?

I don’t think we should seal Narkle’s future based off this single omission, as devastating as it is. Let’s see how many games he’ll play for the rest of the season and finals. This will ultimately decide his fate. Unfortunately it will only get harder for him as still have Cuthrie to come back. If he were to request a trade, what would we realistically get for him? I’d probably say 3rd rounder or a pick upgrade. I’ll be sad if he goes as we really need to keep him; is in the perfect age demographic that our list needs, in a position that we really need

Scott on how he approached the conversation with Quinton that he wouldn’t be selected this week…
With great difficulty and empathy that’s the most important part. It was a really difficult conversation but hopefully an honest one which showed that we support him and what we think he needs to do. I suspect in a year or two he is just going to be so good that he will just be one of those automatic selections and I will have to have that difficult conversation with other players.

Geez people over-react to blokes getting dropped some times.
I remember Bartel being left out an entire season when his form warranted AFL games, did everyone melt then aswell?

Why drop a dude when he's strung together some great games? There's 0 reward for effort and performances if that's the case.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember Bartel being left out an entire season when his form warranted AFL games, did everyone melt then aswell?

Jimmy Bartel? Jimmy never missed a whole season of football. He never played less than 11 games in a whole season his whole career. At the same stage he was probably at 70 games or so.

I think if Jimmy was getting dropped in his fifth year he would have gone elsewhere but we are talking a different level of player.

Maybe a bit like Clark they prefer others. Maybe its fair enough, maybe QN is not in our best22 then we should not be surprised if he holds off from signing and is elsewhere next year.

Wonder if Narkle has already indicated he's looking as his options going forward and maybe that's influencing this decision

One would hope not. If Guthrie held off from signing and then on the eve of finals announced he was moving to Ess , id hope we would still select him.

fu** Scott and fu** our MC. I'm over this fu**en sh*t. We don't reward performances at this stupid fu**en club.

Settle...

Dangerfield and Duncan have to return, and so does O'Conner....and before you hit me with the Dahlhaus argument, he is not competing with Dahlhaus for a spot..

I want to see more of Narkle as well but I'm not losing my rag over a one game exclusion..

That was back in an era where the club at least had the guts to demand that players like Jimmy play to their potential.

Not like now. By that rationale Menegola, to pick an example, should be in the VFL until he's tearing it up because he's well down on his potential this year. But no, we're happy because a below average game from him is still 'ok'.

Oh well. At least we have the midfield depth in place to rest guys like Selwood in future.
We will never rest him. We will run him into the ground again and he'll limp through another failed finals campaign on the current evidence.

Coaches and MC are all in on 'we must win the flag this year' and the fear of failure is making them make short-sighted decisions.

We will never rest him. We will run him into the ground again and he'll limp through another failed finals campaign on the current evidence.

Coaches and MC are all in on 'we must win the flag this year' and the fear of failure is making them make short-sighted decisions.
He just had a week off and he's far from limping through games right now...his form is excellent...
He addresses the "resting" option in his presser...suggest you listen to it..

Think he goes, where to? I dunno. If Shai Bolton seeks a trade to say Fremantle, Narkle may go there.

If he gets to Richmond, he’ll absolutely excel in their midfield and dominate. He’s a player we need to keep, because when Danger, Duncan, Selwood etc retire we are quite thin in the middle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Quinton Narkle

Remove this Banner Ad

Back