Quinton Narkle

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm a Narkle stan so I'm biased - but a few things for anyone who may be interested:

• He is not a small forward, he's a midfielder
  • He could rest/rotate forward and knows how to kick a goal
  • Can win stoppages when engaged and has enough burst to accelerate away

I could see him being a decent foil for Rozee, JHF and Butters. From what I can see that's your clear three headed monster (and obviously Wines is still more than handy).

As a fifth mid that roles through and rests forward, I can see it being a good fit if he brings his best.

No one at Geelong doubted his talent but the biggest knock was his lack of defensive game, didn't show enough urgency when the other team had the ball. If he has tidied that up and brings more intensity and hunger he could play 50-100 games for you guys.

Hope he goes well!
Thanks for that, being a Cats fan how do you rate Esava Ratugolea?

I’m a bit shocked he was picked up TBH, I haven’t been too impressed with him at VFL level this year. Works hard but makes too many mistakes for my liking. I do hope he goes well though because by all reports he was great with the younger lads and worked his backside off
Now that sounds in keeping with the rich heritage of the Ports MSD haul

I’m a bit shocked he was picked up TBH, I haven’t been too impressed with him at VFL level this year. Works hard but makes too many mistakes for my liking. I do hope he goes well though because by all reports he was great with the younger lads and worked his backside off
Sounds similar to what he was at Geelong tbh

So you don't reckon he could play small forward?

Our need is a speedy, goal kicking, high half forward. Evans isn't showing enough just yet, we have a battler in McEntee playing a role, but Rioli is also not what we hoped for yet, and Fantasia can't get on the field. If he can apply pressure, win hard balls up forward and hit the scoreboard, there's a spot there.

Midfield wise, our 1st choice midfield is deep and strong. Rozee, Butters, JHF, Wines, Boak, SPP, Drew. He's behind all of them. It's the best midfield since we joined the AFL.

The only other spot we probably have is maybe wing. Duursma out with injury, so Mead is getting a chance but Narkle would be picked before Mead. Can he play outside?

If not either of those, he's probably gonna struggle to be more than SANFL depth for us.
Appreciate that context on midfield depth, makes sense. From what I can see Mead has been pretty average, I'd say you guys would be getting a pretty instant upgrade on production by making a swap there (again, if he is switched on).

I thought SPP was more a half forward that went through the middle very occasionally but please correct me if I am wrong!

Boak is still a champion but he is sooner to the end than not, still playing some good footy but it looks like he is out of contract end of year so perhaps they are hedging a bit on that front too with this pick.

He's definitely not a forward, I think he can certainly play forward more than he has and he has decent instincts around the sticks but if you're expecting him to come in and play the Fantasia/Rioli role you will be disappointed.

His best games have been very good, he had 34 touches a couple of years back and got two Brownlow votes. He had a solid string of performances in 2021 but clearly he wasn't ticking all the boxes because he fell out of favour and his form never recovered.

Personally I was shocked that Evans got picked up last year, I couldn't doubt his effort at Geelong but he just never looked likely. Hope he can turn his fortunes around but his performance so far this year doesn't surprise me.

I don't think he has the tank to play wing, I think his outside ability with the ball is solid, he gets to dangerous places and can use his wheels but I'm not sure how he would fare on the spread defensively.

Like I said aspects of his game are above VFL level, but his work rate left a lot to be desired, particularly in his last season with us. Looks to have trimmed down a bit so fingers crossed he plays with more ticker.

Thanks for that, being a Cats fan how do you rate Esava Ratugolea?
I rate Sav very highly, has had an impressive year. Considering he has only played a handful of games as a key back he has been sensational. Intercept game is elite, struggles a bit in isolated one on ones, panics a bit. I think that improves with more reps and time.

Huge loss for us. Would look very good next to Aliir.

His stock is definitely up. We'd be asking for a first rounder if he wanted to come to you guys end of year.

Wouldn't surprise me if we have got him to play wing, more than forward. With Duursma out for a while, Farrell and Bergman now in defence, Bonner being terrible, and Boak the reborn winger missing a few games, there's a spot there too.

I certainly wouldn't look too much into where he's played before. Our MSD history suggests that has no bearing on where he'll play in our AFL team - and he may even play a totally different position in our SANFL side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's funny how some indigenous surnames seem to be exclusive to Western Australia - we had a Krakouer a while back, and now a Narkle.

I remember as an 8 year old in 1980 watching Phil Narkle (he had a memorable helmet) play in a state game for WA v SA at Footy Park, so I always take notice when I hear the surname in a footy context.

Fingers crossed Quinton takes his chance with us!

Defensively lazy, one way runner,inconsistent, but has real ability. Seems the club believes that he has woken up to the hard facts and he knows this is probably his last AFL chance to prove he can perform to the level. Hopefully he can, only time will tell.

I'm a Narkle stan so I'm biased - but a few things for anyone who may be interested:

• He is not a small forward, he's a midfielder
  • He could rest/rotate forward and knows how to kick a goal
  • Can win stoppages when engaged and has enough burst to accelerate away

I could see him being a decent foil for Rozee, JHF and Butters. From what I can see that's your clear three headed monster (and obviously Wines is still more than handy).

As a fifth mid that roles through and rests forward, I can see it being a good fit if he brings his best.

No one at Geelong doubted his talent but the biggest knock was his lack of defensive game, didn't show enough urgency when the other team had the ball. If he has tidied that up and brings more intensity and hunger he could play 50-100 games for you guys.

Hope he goes well!

Was any reason given publicly for his delisting? Was it just the defensive side?

I like the pick but I'm a bit surprised by it, the knock on him at Geelong was his defensive pressure which makes it seems like a very anti-Hinkley pick. As good a player as you can hope for in the MSD though, better footballer than the likes of Mead and Evans who have gotten games for us this year. At worst he'll be a gun for the Magpies.

Appreciate that context on midfield depth, makes sense. From what I can see Mead has been pretty average, I'd say you guys would be getting a pretty instant upgrade on production by making a swap there (again, if he is switched on).

I thought SPP was more a half forward that went through the middle very occasionally but please correct me if I am wrong!

Boak is still a champion but he is sooner to the end than not, still playing some good footy but it looks like he is out of contract end of year so perhaps they are hedging a bit on that front too with this pick.

He's definitely not a forward, I think he can certainly play forward more than he has and he has decent instincts around the sticks but if you're expecting him to come in and play the Fantasia/Rioli role you will be disappointed.

His best games have been very good, he had 34 touches a couple of years back and got two Brownlow votes. He had a solid string of performances in 2021 but clearly he wasn't ticking all the boxes because he fell out of favour and his form never recovered.

Personally I was shocked that Evans got picked up last year, I couldn't doubt his effort at Geelong but he just never looked likely. Hope he can turn his fortunes around but his performance so far this year doesn't surprise me.

I don't think he has the tank to play wing, I think his outside ability with the ball is solid, he gets to dangerous places and can use his wheels but I'm not sure how he would fare on the spread defensively.

Like I said aspects of his game are above VFL level, but his work rate left a lot to be desired, particularly in his last season with us. Looks to have trimmed down a bit so fingers crossed he plays with more ticker.
Interesting, not sure he fills a need for us then, but will look forward to seeing how he develops. It's really gotta be small forward or winger you'd think but you might be right, maybe we're playing a long term game looking for more mid depth. It certainly makes sense, with poor depth at the very end of our list at the moment, and shit draft picks to come, the only way to boost our list quality is likely to take some fringe mature agers like this.

And yes SPP is a HFF, but he's also an inside bull, he attends a few CBs every game but is just a long way down the pecking order.

A couple of years back, a number of contibutors to the trade/draft discussion on the Port forum were all for getting him because they didn't rate our own midfield highly at the time and thought he was an under utilised talent. Now we'll get to see how he goes in our system. Hopefully he'll feel at right at home with cousin Pep here and our strong indigenous culture so he can show us his best consistently.
I was keen on selecting Noah Casalini (Stringer-like half forward) or Will Francou (Josh Francou-like mid) but we have taken a safer option this time.

I disagree with the above bombers poster. Narkle has been exceptional for us. Battling manfully in a weak vfl team without much support. His tackling and pressure have been much improved and his ability to accumulate has increased as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Quinton Narkle

Remove this Banner Ad

Back