Game Day R.3 AFLW - Crows vs Carlton - 11.35AM Sunday Thebarton Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

What do people think about Holmes? Didn't rate her highly but she has been involved in a lot of the scores lately (gave the direct assist to Riley even though Perkins started it). Probably a better handball (got quick hands) than kick, but we got Perkins and Killian for that. She does have that habit of getting the ball quickly to her feet and doing a "cute" little kick which is annoying. But all in all I think she has been serviceable and has earned the trust from bec to be in that forward line.

What do people think about Holmes? Didn't rate her highly but she has been involved in a lot of the scores lately (gave the direct assist to Riley even though Perkins started it). Probably a better handball (got quick hands) than kick, but we got Perkins and Killian for that. She does have that habit of getting the ball quickly to her feet and doing a "cute" little kick which is annoying. But all in all I think she has been serviceable and has earned the trust from bec to be in that forward line.
I think the talent is there. But this league is a bigger step up from where she regularky plays (compared to where a lot of them play) and that shows.

More exposure to this level and she will get better.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

The TV doesn't show a lot of the things she does on field in organising the forward line. She's not the quickest player, but she knows how to get to the right spot and bring her teammates into the game while playing very selflessly. I can see why she has continued to play after I doubted she would be in the team. that quick kick you find annoying also means it makes it hard for the opposition to set up or counter against it.

The TV doesn't show a lot of the things she does on field in organising the forward line. She's not the quickest player, but she knows how to get to the right spot and bring her teammates into the game while playing very selflessly. I can see why she has continued to play after I doubted she would be in the team. that quick kick you find annoying also means it makes it hard for the opposition to set up or counter against it.

Yes I agree with you on that though, especially in tight situations it may be useful to clear a pack and quickly get it to a teammate. It looks more like a quick "foot-ball" (handball on foot) but not always effective. I think she has been doing it more less though and being more smarter with her disposals especially in that second game. Just need to improve her goalkicking and a goal will come soon.

Heard that too. Terrible call. Who'd have thought Erin would transition well to a game she grew up playing?

I dont think they knew her background as in the same breath they talk about all the other players playing junior footy and having to walk away from the game to play other sports. I think its that sort of commentating that has embarrassed the league. It really has been amateur hour.

I dont think they knew her background as in the same breath they talk about all the other players playing junior footy and having to walk away from the game to play other sports. I think its that sort of commentating that has embarrassed the league. It really has been amateur hour.
So just like the commentary for the men's league

She's not the worst out there, she got herself into really good positions but dropped every mark, if she had of held them it would have been a wayne carey like performance.

The endeavour is definitely there, but the ball use by foot and the decision making is still very much below par.

I still enjoy watching the games, but it's only ever going to a side show and unfortunately I expect the interest will gradually decline in time
lol

I think today she definitely improved but she just seems a little soft comapred to the other girls. Seems to shirk the contest a little bit.

I think it was a great game. Obviously super scrappy but the contested stuff in this competition is far better than I ever imagined it would be! I also loved that our girls didn't buy in so much to Carlton's off the ball dirtiness and held their head.

I just think that Chelsea Randall is an absolute star. I feel like we don't get her around the ball enough. I also think she could've been a really good person to throw forward when Gibson went off injured. She just moves like a natural footballer.

I have to admit when Phillips was signed by the PPFC and everyone was saying how she would win the Brownlow I thought they had to be exaggerating, she's past 30 and has been playing basketball for decades. She's probably already got 9 votes, in the men's comp if you get 3 votes in 50% of your games, you win, she may already have it sewn up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interest will soar in time as will the skills.

You're making a judgement on a comp that is three rounds old with some players who haven't played many more games than that, and no team has.

Like judging GWS in 2012 and saying, pfft, they'll never amount to anything.

The best side this year would be absolutely flogged by the any side in 3 years time.

I agree that the standard will increase, but I don't agree that interest will soar as I think the league has already managed to tap most of the market . There has been no slow burn here, through a combination of good scheduling by the AFL, the novelty factor and free admission the women's league has essentially hit the ground running.

My concern is going to come in the next couple of years when push will come to shove soon about increasing investment in the league.

This will more than likely take the AFL down the path of charging attendance prices and selling club memberships Once they start charging $10+ to get in the gate and the novelty factor has worn off I just don't see how it's going to sustain high crowds in the long term.

How often are the crows put on the backpage of either of the Victorian newspapers? not often.

It's almost like the vics don't dislike the AFLW team like they do the mens.
Good question. Crows and women's sport on back page of The Age? Both would be a very rare occurrence.

Great pic, though.

I agree that the standard will increase, but I don't agree that interest will soar as I think the league has already managed to tap most of the market . There has been no slow burn here, through a combination of good scheduling by the AFL, the novelty factor and free admission the women's league has essentially hit the ground running.

My concern is going to come in the next couple of years when push will come to shove soon about increasing investment in the league.

This will more than likely take the AFL down the path of charging attendance prices and selling club memberships Once they start charging $10+ to get in the gate and the novelty factor has worn off I just don't see how it's going to sustain high crowds in the long term.
You have identified some areas of concerns that I am also sure the AFL Board are also working on.

Certainly without doubt the free admission helps enormously in boosting the numbers. When my only costs are transport and food then I am more likely to go than not. I will also admit I am going because the AFC have a team. I would find it hard to support it if a team from Port were in it.

I did expect a drop in numbers this weekend but a combination of Carlton and opportunity to be top and undefeated brought a few thousand out.

Yet the one thing I did notice and the one thing ALL clubs should tap in on was the numbers that stayed behind AFTER the game. Suburban ground , lots of families, facilities all shout out an opportunity for clubs to switch their Game Day experience around. Have an activity AFTER the game. Whether that be try-outs or a clinic ( with those not playing or assorted coaches ) , or even a signing hour etc

I think that many of the knockers fail to understand the purpose of the league. It is all about attracting young girls to the AFL and they will form the base of the future generation of supporters. Many of the dementia ridden old guard say that we needed to build up the strength of women's football before we started a national league. The AFL has accelerated the development of women's football by 20 - 30 years by using a top down approach. Look at the crowds, packed with women and young girls. Check out the explosion in girls playing AFL in the next few years.

Only a few obsessed BigFooty posters (like myself) are interested in the JLT matches because they are not fair dinkum. A fair dinkum 8 week AFLW season prior to the start of the AFL is ideal. It keeps the AFL in the headlines without risking FFF (footy fan fatigue) in the AFL. Not showing the JLT on free to air is a smart move, it allows interest to build for round 1.

Prediction; There will be a bigger crowd at Norwood on Friday week than at either of the Crows JLT matches in Adelaide.

Yet the one thing I did notice and the one thing ALL clubs should tap in on was the numbers that stayed behind AFTER the game. Suburban ground , lots of families, facilities all shout out an opportunity for clubs to switch their Game Day experience around. Have an activity AFTER the game. Whether that be try-outs or a clinic ( with those not playing or assorted coaches ) , or even a signing hour etc

This is why I think we should try move from Westlakes to Thebarton, build a big base at Thebarton with a family friendly tavern for SANFL and AFLW home games and a place for crows fans to go watch away games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day R.3 AFLW - Crows vs Carlton - 11.35AM Sunday Thebarton Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Back