Status
Not open for further replies.
R:8 - Swans v Giants - 1:45pm SCG - Saturday 8 May

TEAM SELECTION:

Ins:

Swans: Parker,
Giants: Greene, Taylor, Coniglio (?)

Outs:
Whomever the selection teams decide on... I'm not worried, and I don't think the Giants should be either. Both teams have pretty good depth at the moment, and very light injury lists. Coniglio is listed at 1-2weeks, so if it's 2 he's out, otherwise available for selection.

STATS: Team Comparisom

EXPERIENCE:

GWS Giants
Average age at Opening Round, 2024:
24.2 (13th oldest)
Average games: 64.7 (13th most experienced)
Players with 100-plus games: 11
Players with less than 50 games: 26

Sydney Swans:
Average age at Opening Round, 2024:
24.6 (equal eighth oldest)
Average games: 78.4 (fifth most experienced)
Players with 100-plus games: 14
Players with less than 50 games: 18

With Rampe out, that Swans age will be even younger... but we clearly have them outnumbered in experience.

BETWEEN THE ARCS...
This is where I'm expecting the game to be won and/or lost... I think it'll come down to accuracy, maybe even set shot accuracy. Both teams have fairly good stability and consistency through their back six, despite missing a player now and then; and match up fairly well on their forward counterpart. And because both teams have speed to burn, it'll be coming in quick, with midfielders from both teams kicking a significant number of goals to assist their forwards.

I'll be interested to see who goes to Hogan, or whether they share the load. I'm thinking they'll have trouble with our 3 rotating forwards, but both sides are going to have issues with the numbers of mids scoring goals... so maybe it will be the side that can arrest momentum that wins.

The Last Game:

R:21 (2023) GWS v Sydney (Last game: Swans win 85-96)

The Season So Far for Some Players of Interest:

Match Ups:
Briggs v Grundy - Grundy should win this easily due to experience, so it would be very nice if we could win the clearances.

McDonald/Amartey/McLean v Taylor/Himmelberg/Perryman - This should be worth going to the game for... Will the Swans allow the Giants to get a second or third man up? Can the Giants close down our forward line? And the same questions apply to the Giants forward line at the other end. This for me is the question of the game, and the outcome will tell me a lot about just how good either team is!

Outcome:
I'm going to sit back and enjoy this game, keeping mind it's Round 8 - The very last thing either team wants to do is peak too early! It's like an early measuring stick... tells us how well we are going on our journey to the finals.

I'm tipping the Swans by 21 late in the fourth... but I do believe it could equally go the other way just as easily.

PS Can some one teach me how to get rid of those Playing Cards? I've edited them out twice and they still come back :(

Attachments

• 1714308705609.png
    1714308705609.png
    18 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Predicting wet weather at this stage. I wonder if they might be more inclined to pick Parker instead of Armaty due to the wet conditions. Only 3 touches this weekend but has been good this season. The kind of game I think we would appreciate his experience and he always brings his best against this mob.

Not sure who comes out for Parker. Could be one of Amartey, Hayward or Jordon (who becomes sub over Campbell) depending on injury and weather

This will be a very good game to see where we really are at. Will need to match the pressure snd contested ball to be a chance

Not sure who comes out for Parker. Could be one of Amartey, Hayward or Jordon (who becomes sub over Campbell) depending on injury and weather

This will be a very good game to see where we really are at. Will need to match the pressure snd contested ball to be a chance
My guess is Campbell out, Fox sub. Would be great to see us go with just the 2 talls in the wet but I think the club are pretty set in their ways with our forward set up.

My guess is Campbell out, Fox sub. Would be great to see us go with just the 2 talls in the wet but I think the club are pretty set in their ways with our forward set up.
I agree although I think that would be a mistake to not have Fox there all game considering their forward line has been a good spread and very dangerous this season. There is a reason they are the highest scoring team in the competition.

I also think that Hayward out would upset our forward balance unless he's carrying an injury in which case straight swap.

Thanks Kirkswan for the the tops preview.

Admit to concern about the weather. Our preferred game style prospers in relatively dry conditions. Oh for a covered stadium in Sydney. We should trade for Noah Anderson for umpteen reasons, not least as he could be the voice of the campaign.

Need to find out how some players pulled up early this week.

Hayward possible an out. Paps was limping a bit. Stating the obvious but its going to come down to who is available.

I'd prefer to bring Parker in through the sub if everyone is well.

I’m not sold on Amartey and imo he burnt some chances yesterday. However when I rewatched Wicks first goal, I realised Joel had showed smarts and execution in back knuckling the loose ball to Sam which contributed to the terrific goal.

GWS are fast, very fast - almost Jack Hiscox fast. We are a dry weather team so need to adapt. If we play smart wet weather football we will win. This means high percentage plays, long kicks out of trouble, don’t overpossess, be aware of kicks skidding out the back. etc. Ground ball gets will be super important so I agree if Parks is ok I would drop Amartey for this one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Parker for amartey , but time happen

Interesting to see

This! Play Parker forward and he can be that HF/mid. Plays taller than his frame anyway. Him and Adams to split mid minutes on a 80/20 basis (Adams with more).

They are running I waves with fast trains handballs with season and using there leg speed

Something we have to stop

Also we cannot bomb it in I can't stress this enough whether it be Idon, whether it be Taylor, whether it be Himmelberg, they will tear us a new one if we don't lower the eyes. The blueprint was in the last quarter in the Carl/GWS game we need to do it for a whole game not a quarter.

Need to find out how some players pulled up early this week.

Hayward possible an out. Paps was limping a bit. Stating the obvious but its going to come down to who is available.

I'd prefer to bring Parker in through the sub if everyone is well.

Hayward and Paps both came back, I'd have been amaed if there was anything wrong that they weren't on the bench the last quarter or subbed (we subbed Jmac). Personally Parker for Amartey and change the structure a fraction, two geniune keys in Logan/McLean, with the mediums in Hayward/Parker. Two smalls in Wicks/Paps. Then you have the mids pushing up in Chad, Errol, Heeney, etc.

Recon Grundy has a big role on Saturday if you look at the Carlton game, TDK was close to best on ground and he was pushing up and back and running the GWS rucks ragged.

GWS are fast, very fast - almost Jack Hiscox fast. We are a dry weather team so need to adapt. If we play smart wet weather football we will win. This means high percentage plays, long kicks out of trouble, don’t overpossess, be aware of kicks skidding out the back. etc. Ground ball gets will be super important so I agree if Parks is ok I would drop Amartey for this one.
We seem to have adapted a bit better to the conditions in our last few wet weather games. Prior to that it would kill us.

We seem to have adapted a bit better to the conditions in our last few wet weather games. Prior to that it would kill us.

I just have this rather bad feeling that Horse puts Parker in the middle who in turn bombs it 25 times straight to Taylor and what not. Why am I getting this feeling!

Nicely done on the preview Kirkswan golf claps

If its wet, Armatey simply won't have an impact. He's coming off a 3-possession game in the dry.

I'd be shocked (and a bit frustrated) if Horse stuck with the 3 talls in the rain.

I wouldn't be shocked Horse loves this 3 tall structure. Personally Parker as a "tall" gives us more wet or dry. Then make a call on McKlean/Amartey personally despite McLean dropping sodas he provides a contest at worst which is more than Amartey has done regularly. Also feel it is critical the sub this week is a small, we can sub McLean off if he's doing nothing which can happen in the wet with talls

It's going to be hard to fit Parker into this 22. Whoever is dropped will feel hard done by

That's why Amartey makes sense, lets be real for a second, how many good games has he had this year? Suns yes with the aid of a couple of junk goals but all KPF's do that so I will give him that. What other game has he been good in? First 3 weeks he was jumping in the way of our other forwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back