Preview R:8 - Swans v Giants - 1:45pm SCG - Saturday 4 May

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's why Amartey makes sense, lets be real for a second, how many good games has he had this year? Suns yes with the aid of a couple of junk goals but all KPF's do that so I will give him that. What other game has he been good in? First 3 weeks he was jumping in the way of our other forwards.
I thought Amartey had one of his better performances yesterday. Was surprised to see he only had 3 touches.

My guess is Campbell will be dropped, he's clearly already on the out but did well when he came on.

Who I'd make as the sub? No clue

I thought Amartey had one of his better performances yesterday. Was surprised to see he only had 3 touches.

My guess is Campbell will be dropped, he's clearly already on the out but did well when he came on.

Who I'd make as the sub? No clue

I wasn't surprised I was the other way, he was good against the Suns and may have been decent in one other game early on, but that's only 2/6 across the year, and we are trying to fit Parker and Mills (when the time comes) in. It's meant to be wet we need less talls not more, as it is McLean on a wet night is hardly giving me a ray of confidence.

Don't hate Campbell as the sub or Sheldrick, has to be a small. They may want Campbell to get a full game in the VFL, two weeks where he's only got 6mins and maybe say 10mins.

Thanks Kirkswan for the the tops preview.

Admit to concern about the weather. Our preferred game style prospers in relatively dry conditions. Oh for a covered stadium in Sydney. We should trade for Noah Anderson for umpteen reasons, not least as he could be the voice of the campaign.
Thanks! I'm devastated that I didn't check the weather forecast... I was really looking forward to matching our skills against their's and getting a good look at where we're at! Now it'll just be one of those drenching rain outlier games... BUGGAR!!!

GWS are fast, very fast - almost Jack Hiscox fast. We are a dry weather team so need to adapt. If we play smart wet weather football we will win. This means high percentage plays, long kicks out of trouble, don’t overpossess, be aware of kicks skidding out the back. etc. Ground ball gets will be super important so I agree if Parks is ok I would drop Amartey for this one.
How many of GWS' games have been played in driving/pour rain?

What makes you think they are not a dry weather team too?

They too rely on speed, and they hand ball more than us mostly, but pouring rain is a greater equaliser. It will probably be won and lost in the box, and depend on who can carry out their coaches plan best. :cryv1:

Will be interesting to see who goes out for Parker.

Assuming Parker plays as a forward I am almost going to say Hayward, but there is no way Longmire will pull that trigger.

It would probably be unfair to Hayward too, but in saying that whoever gets dropped this week for Parker is going to feel a bit hard done by.

Good write up … but on the forward match ups it will probably be Taylor, Buckley and Idun taking your talls with Himmel loose …. Perryman will take Paps and Ash can play defensively if necessary (he has been a tagger in the past)
Ta muchly! But I don't want Himmel loose... maybe it's another job for Hayward - making sure Himmel is not 'loose'... He's played this role very well in the past.

I couldn't really say a lot about you guys as I haven't watched many of your games, and that is really needed if you are going to talk about match ups! But I those games I have seen, I've really enjoyed the way you play.

I'm really disappointed with the rain, I really wanted to see how we stack up against you guys!

All you guys and girls who haven't done a preview yet, should think about putting our name down!

We are not expecting War & Peace, nor do we need you to be a Comedic superstar, just a short piece about the upcoming game and the bits you'll be personally looking at is fine. It's about contributing... and all the regulars on the board will always be nice to you for having taken the time and contributed...

So just pop over here, put your name down and have a go! It's a once a year thing if all our regulars contribute!

Whatever we do it must involve bringing the pain.

Has to be our A Game or bust.

Be interesting as I reckon this is the very first real test of the season. Teams are settled, coaches have seen the adjustments. Everyone has had a run across the whole comp.

Time to put up.

Whatever we do it must involve bringing the pain.

Has to be our A Game or bust.

Be interesting as I reckon this is the very first real test of the season. Teams are settled, coaches have seen the adjustments. Everyone has had a run across the whole comp.

Time to put up.

Coniglio/Taylor/Greene back

They will be playing their best 22 available.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If weather was fine I’d hope we’d employ the same tactic that we did against hawthorn and control possession slowly but with the tsunami laden field expected, it will just be scrap it forward and let our smalls in the forward line and rotating midfielders to do the job.

3 talls might not be the best option if it’s raining and Amartey will have to be the sacrificial lamb.

Parker straight into the forward line

Assuming no injuries, with the conditions:

Out: Amartey
In: Parker
Sub: Sheldrick

Time for Campbell to get a full game in reserves, unless he comes in for some other injury e.g. Hayward doesn't get up.

Looking at the surrounding forecast, this should be a slippery game at least. Parker and Sheldrick as sub, the contested slog types you want.

Fox to Greene.

Cutting back through the middle or being handball happy will be asking for trouble in this one.

Wouldn't put it past Horse to bring Parker in for Amartey but then have Francis as sub.

Assuming no injuries, with the conditions:

Out: Amartey
In: Parker
Sub: Sheldrick

Time for Campbell to get a full game in reserves, unless he comes in for some other injury e.g. Hayward doesn't get up.

Looking at the surrounding forecast, this should be a slippery game at least. Parker and Sheldrick as sub, the contested slog types you want.

Fox to Greene.

Cutting back through the middle or being handball happy will be asking for trouble in this one.

Wouldn't put it past Horse to bring Parker in for Amartey but then have Francis as sub.
Love that sub option. Sheldrick has been playing well in the 2's and was impressive when given the chance last season.
The kind of game that another in and under player would thrive in.

Here's the AFL.com version of Sam Taylor trashtalk. Fightin' words, or maybe still concussed.

In the past, we've always had Ryan Clarke to clamp Whitfield. He's still their main ball mover off half back and is getting 30+ every week.

Stop Whitfield, stop the 'tsunami'. The problem is that Wicks has been given the role before, and he doesn't hard tag so Whitfield still got off the chain.

Some games like these, I wish we still had Clamps.

From our attacking perspective, GWS are apparently near the bottom echelon of teams defending a turnover so if we get our game going we can put a huge score on.
It was talked about here from the 19min mark: www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiKWFnInnVE. Worst team at defending turnover because they all sprint one way forward

GWS are not invincible and I'm more confident in a win than a loss.

Talking about themselves in the third person. Particularly who is smug is their social media team. Often quite disrespectful to us. Smug campaigners
Their social media is A+, other clubs should take note.

But I think as a club overall, they probably need to be taken down a peg or two. Can't have them as the best team in Sydney.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back