R13: Port v Richmond review

Remove this Banner Ad

Ah well, same shit different week. What a shitty year.

In the end im glad we didnt win, as it would have simply glossed over a number of important issues facing our side at the moment.

We lack intensity and attack on the ball. Numerous times this year weve come out of half time flat as a tack, and that 15 minutes in the end what cost us the game. We seriously lack attack at the ball though. Too many players slow down or dont attack the contest and wait for their opponent to grab the ball. 7 or 8 players shirked the issue quite a few times today and its not good enough. Couple of times it cost us goals.

Our defensive zone, and midfield zone is shit. Simply shit. More holes than a colander. We are as useful as witches hats at times. Theres no point playing a zone if all the players do is stand still. So many loose players all the time. To allow them with 4 minutes left to take about 12 uncontested marks in a row just isnt good enough.

Our midfield again was given an absolute pantsing. Absolute pantsing. Again our clearances were way down, we looked sluggish as hell.

Our defence is similar to our zone, just not good enough. To allow two players, who in all fairness arent stars, to kick 11 goals between them isnt good enough.

Our forward line lacked a tall target (gee I wonder why :rolleyes: .) and had too many players unwilling to chase.

Again its just these lapses of concentration that kill us. In the first quarter they kicked 3 goals in about 45 seconds of gameplay. In the second quarter the same thing happened. In the third quarter they kicked 3 goals in 3 minutes to start the quarter. Every week we seem to bust our balls trying to kick goals and we just leak goals so easily...mostly from midfield.

The crowd...dunno if that was 20k. Could have heard an ant fart for most of the day.

A number of players just not good enough.

Would be nice to say to bring on the kids, but the sad thing is, there arent many players playing decent footy in the SANFL either.

The whole club needs to have a look at itself from the top down. Coaches, leadership group, players, off field, everyone.

And last of all...this is no honourable loss.

POTY Votes:
Boak - Decent but nothing special. Couple of decent moments but some cringeworthy moments as well

Brogan - great leadership all over the ground. That mark at the start of the last backing into that pack was top stuff. Played very well today.

P Burgoyne - I thought he was decent enough for the first three quarters, but he shirked the issue once or twice and ended up pulling a hammy I think. Good to see him get more midfield time.

S Burgoyne - Decent last quarter. Terrible everything else. Any negative adjectives you can find can be thrown his way. Terrible lack of effort and heart. Hes either gotta find a way to beat attention or hes gotta be put on the trade table so we can find someone that can.

Carlile - Spent tons of time on the bench. Started on Hughes but was moved off him at 1/4 time. One of his lesser games of the year.

Cassisi - Tried hard, threw himself in and was one of the only smalls to consistently win the ball.

Chaplin - Dont know what to think of his game really. Spent time on Richardson and Riewoldt and spent time loose as well. Could have done more.

C Cornes - Hurt his ankle and spent considerable time off the ground. Didnt have any impact when he went back on. Maybe time to put him to surgery

K Cornes - Though he did the job on Deledio, its getting rather frustrating seeing our best midfielder spent 70% of the game in either a forward or back pocket. We really needed him in the guts today and when he went there in the last quarter we started getting it out a bit more.

Ebert - meh. Zero defensive pressure and zero presence. Slow as a snail.

Gray - Again, some great work in the middle in when he went in there. Great hands.

Lade - Again we were thumped when he was in the ruck. Time to bring in Deluca and give Lade a couple of weeks rest...hes just not useful.

Logan - One of the only players to throw himself in with no care about himself. Give him and Brogan the best team men award now.

Lower - Better than last week. Seems to be playing the niggler role but I thought he was quite useful. Was interesting to see him play in the centre for about 30-40 minutes of the game.

Motlop - 6 goals but there was a moment in the last quarter where he didnt get a free so he spent 10 seconds punching the ground whilst his teammate ran up ground. not ____ing good enough daniel. Still, was our only target up forward all day.

Pearce - Has to attack the ball harder. Too many times he waits for something else to happen before he makes a move.

Pettigrew - Worst game from a defender ive ever seen at AFL level. Had at least 8 goals kicked on him and for most of the day stood still with his hands on his hips looking like he didnt care. In all seriousness he should give his match payment to charity.

Rodan - Got himself into trouble a bit but at least tried to create and run.

Salopek - Might be troubled by an injury. Spent tons of time on the bench, most of it on the bike.

Thomas - Just about the best game hes played for us I thought. Added toughness around the ball and used it fairly well.

Tredrea - Did very well considering he was our only tall target all day. Needed support.

Wilson - Thought he had a good first quarter but struggled after half time.

POTY Votes:
8 - Brogan
7 - Logan
6 - Cassisi, Motlop, Tredrea, Thomas
5 - K Cornes, Gray, Rodan
4 - Lower
3 - Boak, Pearce
2 - P Burgoyne, Chaplin, Salopek, Wilson
1 - S Burgoyne, Carlile, Ebert, Lade
0 - C Cornes
-5 - Pettigrew

There was one stage when Logan, Thomas and Lower were all going towards a play at the same time. You knew that no matter what Richmond were not going to waltz in there and get the ball easy. Geesh it felt good.

Add Williams, Stewart and Thomson to that mix Mark, piss off the lazy ones. :thumbsu:

POTY Votes:
8 - Brogan
7 - Logan
6 - Cassisi, Motlop, Tredrea, Thomas
5 - K Cornes, Gray, Rodan
4 - Lower
3 - Boak, Pearce
2 - P Burgoyne, Chaplin, Salopek, Wilson
1 - S Burgoyne, Carlile, Ebert, Lade
0 - C Cornes
-5 - Pettigrew
Agree with Pettigrew, but thought Ebert, JB, Lade and Boak should all have Zippos today. PB was only marginally better.

Thought Tredders was horribly misused, especially in the last quarter. Why is he lining up on a flank forced to lead wide when Motlop is one out in the square with Moore and Bowden all over him?

It was especially grating with the last gasp F50 entry - Motlop swamped by black and gold guernseys in the hot spot, with no tall timber whatsoever there to pluck one and steal the match.

There was a moment in the first quarter where it looked like Pettigrew put his hands up to smother a goal, then shirked away from it to protect himself from the ball. I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt and say it just looked deceiving, because if an AFL footballer were to do that, they should probably never play again...

Good to see Thomas and Lower make good contributions today, both tackled hard and got some clearances. I'd love to know how often they gave it to each other.

Best game I have see Logan play for Port, I thought he was really good.

Every fixable problem with this side says to me that its time for a new coach.

The players are playing like they want it; the team strategy is crying out for it, and I don't reckon Choco has too many ardent supporters right now that actually go to games.

I agree Macca. It was a blessing in disguise.

Now we can finally admit that we arent good enough, our game plan isnt good enough and our efforts and workrate arent good enough.

Now maybe Mark will send a signal to the lazy/soft players that if they play like that they wont get a game for port adelaide (looking at you sean if it is good enough for Nick Dal Santo it is good you).

I think Lower, Thomas, Cassissi and Brogan were all excellent today. A couple of Logans attacks on the ball were brilliant too. If only our more skilled players put in that sort of effort.

I want to see Thomson, Farmer, Deluca and Cockshell given a go ASAP. Stewart will come back in.

We shouldnt waste our time playing Lonie et. al. again. We know what they offer and it is not good enough.

The players are playing like they want it; the team strategy is crying out for it, and I don't reckon Choco has too many ardent supporters right now that actually go to games.

Just before three quarter time I said, "what's the bet he takes them over to the outer?"

If that's the best he can muster, 5 goals down against Richmond at home, we're in huuuuuuuge trouble.

Am I alone in thinking that Peter Burgoyne had probably his worst game ever tonight? Was absolutely shocking.

And Boak wasn't too bad, doesn't deserve the criticism that some people are giving him. Plus he showed that unlike the rest of our team he can take pressure with his brilliant last quarter goal from the pocket. If everyone in our team tried as hard as Tom Logan, we would've smashed the Tigers by about 20 goals tonight.

S.Burgoyne as a trade you say?
Two years ago you would have been crucified.Now I don't think Shaun would be worth a hell of a lot.Hid reputation of being the next superstar has long gone down the drain.
We(Port) are in big trouble.
Maybe we need a "REVOLUTION"?Starting with the coach and about 8 senior players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We shouldn't drop Logan for the rest of the year. I was pretty happy with Pearce's performance as well, he was one of our better midfielders.

One of Branch Rickey's maxims was "it's better to trade a player a year too early than a year too late." Connie Mack was once asked why his struggling team had traded its best player and he responded "we can finish last with him, so we can finish last without him."

AFL teams don't have the same transaction flexibility. But then clubs can control some of their personnel, especially the coaching staff.

So do we give the coach an extension? Could we be much worse with Freddie (or even Georgina) McGuinness at the helm?

But let's not be premature. The coach's inside knowledge of Richo helped restrict him today to 17 disposals, 10 marks, 3 goals today and I'm sure that same deep understanding will shut down Cooney and some of the other Dream Teamers next weekend.

I guess now we find out who will be first against the wall when the revolution comes.

revolution.jpg

Porthos I go to every game and I am a Chocco supporter. I think he needs to do better but I still think he is the man for the job.

I agree that Peirce played better today. I wouldnt probably not have selected him today but having seen that increased effort (a few good chases and tackles) I would keep him in.

BTW as I predicted pre game our forward line was too short and after we kicked the first couple of goals they put a couple back and blocked our space and without a tall we had no answer.

Did anyone else hear Francou's criticism of Tredders leadership on radio? I thought it was a bit of a cheap shot and unwarranted, is there some bad blood between those two?

So do we give the coach an extension? Could we be much worse with Freddie (or even Georgina) McGuinness at the helm?
Now is probably the only time in the last ten years that there have been any prospective AFL coaches with enough of a Port background to get support but enough of a non-Port background to be able to be objective. Hardwick and Buckley.

Discuss

Now is probably the only time in the last ten years that there have been any prospective AFL coaches with enough of a Port background to get support but enough of a non-Port background to be able to be objective. Hardwick and Buckley.

Discuss

Both wil be scooped up while we sit on our hands.

Discuss

Hardwick yes. Buckley as an assistant yes, but not as a senior coach as is too green atm

Did anyone else hear Francou's criticism of Tredders leadership on radio? I thought it was a bit of a cheap shot and unwarranted, is there some bad blood between those two?

I thought some of it was valid - ie, why was Brogan addressing the players at 3QT last week and where was Tredders when Stewart got injured and there was that lull of play against Carlton - but as a player, he is kicking arse under the circumstances.

Kicking goals, giving goals, providing both an avenue and outlet to goal.

As the woman who rang in later to protest argued, there's only so much Tredders can do.

He's the only tall forward option and has been all year (Westhoff playing the tall small flanker role) and the midfield's been cold as snowman shit for weeks.

Josh Francou said on the radio after Motlop's goal early in the last quarter that there was nothing from the power players except for a pat on his hand by Tredders. Said the side had no spirit or belief and were already playing like they lost already and besides Brogan there didnt seem to be any passion or leadership
for any other players.

Remove this Banner Ad

R13: Port v Richmond review

Remove this Banner Ad

Back