Review Port v Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

He's been off for quite a while now after a good start to the season. Rozee likewise hasn't been much good since his injury and even JHF is in and out of games now that they're playing him forward more.

If you looked at the last 6-8 weeks in isolation you'd have no choice but to conclude that Ollie Wines is our best midfielder, which is quite a turn of events given where a lot of people had him at the start of the year.
Agreed, I think our midfield was down overall last night. Sweet got first hand to the ball at the stoppages but we did not capitalise. I also agree that Ollie Wines has been the pick of the midfield in recent weeks.

He's been off for quite a while now after a good start to the season. Rozee likewise hasn't been much good since his injury and even JHF is in and out of games now that they're playing him forward more.

If you looked at the last 6-8 weeks in isolation you'd have no choice but to conclude that Ollie Wines is our best midfielder, which is quite a turn of events given where a lot of people had him at the start of the year.

I thought Rozee was our best player last night until he went off for most of the last quarter.

24 touches in basically 3 quarters, 7 clearances, 4 tackles and 2 goals.

His first quarter was akin to Roger James in the 04 prelim final, he was doing everything.

I thought Rozee was our best player last night until he went off for most of the last quarter.

His first quarter was akin to Roger James in the 04 prelim final, he was doing everything.
Agree. Rozee was our best mid last night until injured. Should have had three goals too. Wines had a really indifferent start to the third quarter, but was otherwise good, especially in the first and last terms.

Drew and Butters noticeably improved in the last term.

Hinkley made mention that he thought their mids were on top at HT, led by Prestia. He set Drew to do a job on him and it seemed to work.

I don’t think we’ve got it right in the middle all year. It looks to me like Carr is confused about how to use the weapons he has at his disposal.

I would have Drew tagging or running with the opposition’s best midfielder as a constant every single week. It keeps him, and more importantly our midfield more honest. Every opponent has one mid that can hurt us. Put a stop to them from the start. Make Drew accountable. It’s what he responds best to.

There seemed to be a concerted effort to start moving the ball through the fat side of the ground rather than the corridor which when it came off worked really well with fast ball movement into the forward half.

Get that balance and decision making onfield right and minimise the turnovers.

Agree. Rozee was our best mid last night until injured. Should have had three goals too. Wines had a really indifferent start to the third quarter, but was otherwise good, especially in the first and last terms.

Hinkley made mention that he thought their mids were on top at HT, led by Prestia. He set Drew to do a job on him and it seemed to work.

I don’t think we’ve got it right in the middle all year. It looks to me like Carr is confused about how to use the weapons he has at his disposal.

I would have Drew tagging or running with the opposition’s best midfielder as a constant every single week. It keeps him, and more importantly our midfield more honest. Every opponent has one mid that can hurt us. Put a stop to them from the start. Make Drew accountable. It’s what he responds best to.
Listening to Schofield press conference, Carr may want to change the set ups but is being dictated who must play in there by Doughnuts

There seemed to be a concerted effort to start moving the ball through the fat side of the ground rather than the corridor which when it came off worked really well with fast ball movement into the forward half.

Get that balance and decision making onfield right and minimise the turnovers.
Get that balance and decision making off field right and minimise the excuses.

He rucked last week and he rucked last night. How has he refused ruck duties?
Its not me thats said it because I dont have inside knowledge, but Ive read a few people on here say that he came to Port on the condition that he play as a forward and never a first ruck. Thats why I said "if its true", because I dont know.

There have been seasons where we have had nobody we were willing to play in ruck, yet still refused to play him as our first option, and supposedly this was the reason. So either there is something to the rumour or our coaches are idiots. I lean towards a bit of both.

Jase Burgoyne flew under my radar a bit. I thought he was good, but Kane gave him 7 votes from the game.
Had a look and he had 13 contested possessions in his 24, 7 tackles, 3 clearances. Great blue-collar stats for such a slight player.

Its not me thats said it because I dont have inside knowledge, but Ive read a few people on here say that he came to Port on the condition that he play as a forward and never a first ruck. Thats why I said "if its true", because I dont know.

There have been seasons where we have had nobody we were willing to play in ruck, yet still refused to play him as our first option, and supposedly this was the reason. So either there is something to the rumour or our coaches are idiots. I lean towards a bit of both.

That was 2015 :oops:. He has played in ruck countless times since then.

And there were plenty here that criticised Hinkley whenever he played Dixon in ruck because of his alleged "glass ankles".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He’s Peter on Ozempic.

With some meat on his bones the sky’s the limit imo.

Was obvious he was going to be a 200 gamer from those first few games he played in the back end of 2022. JHF aside, as gifted an all round footballer as we have on our list. Would be great if Rome comes on and we have two Burgoynes running around again.

Without putting a downer on the win :cool: who was missing from Richmond?
Dusty, Lynch, Vlaustin, Taranto, Grimes, M Rioli. Anyone else of note?

Josh Gibcus
Marlion Pickett
Mykelti Lefau
Dale Weightman
Greg Stafford
David Honybun
Relton Roberts
Brian Leys

Connor was pretty good but I am not sure he was better than Bergmann in the first quarter. Bergmann's defensive effort kept us in the game at quarter time. He made up for some of Esava's brain fade defending.

Connor was pretty good but I am not sure he was better than Bergmann in the first quarter. Bergmann's defensive effort kept us in the game at quarter time. He made up for some of Esava's brain fade defending.

Bergman had a great first quarter too. Rozee was our only scoring threat in the first quarter.

I would prefer McEntee and Lord over DBJ

from the game DBJ 12 Disposals & a Goal his opponent Daniel Rioli 28 Disposals and 2 goals
(DBJ was always 5m+ behind Rioli as Rioli did what he liked keeping Richmond in the game)

DBJ was electric in a couple of passages last night. Willie Rioli's first goal came as a result of DBJ's run and give. I will take DBJ over Jed McEntee any day.

Without putting a downer on the win :cool: who was missing from Richmond?
Dusty, Lynch, Vlaustin, Taranto, Grimes, M Rioli. Anyone else of note?

Are we allowed to list Todd Marshall, Sam Powell-Pepper, Josh Sinn, Lachie Jones, Ryan Burton and Jeremy Finlayson ?

I'm not saying he can't be dropped he's just a developing KPF that needs a patient approach not LORD IS TERRIBLE! in matchday thread bedwetting. Anyway it'd be nice to see these guys coached to take front position once in a while.

Perhaps they could talk about positioning with the 4 time AA premiership captain hall of fame CHF walking the halls.. of course the old deflated ball bag we call a coach would need to swallow his 'pride'.

I agree with your comments.

I never said Lord is terrible. I said his 4 goal final has been overrated if you go back and look at his game. He’s nowhere as far along as people think.

I'm not saying he can't be dropped he's just a developing KPF that needs a patient approach not LORD IS TERRIBLE! in matchday thread bedwetting. Anyway it'd be nice to see these guys coached to take front position once in a while.

Perhaps they could talk about positioning with the 4 time AA premiership captain hall of fame CHF walking the halls.. of course the old deflated ball bag we call a coach would need to swallow his 'pride'.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Port v Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Back