Review R17: The Good, Bad and Ugly vs. Brisbane Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

The problem is a flush shoukder to the head is graded as being as bad as an accidental head clash from an otherwise clean act

I get why
I get they won’t remove the wording that makes the head clash foreseeable in the sct

But there needs to be separation from a rd 1 2023 kozzie picket act compared to one like this where the intent/recklessness are poles apart

In that sense 3 weeks for this would still be a hefty penalty but the rules don’t cater to any interpretation of the act

I think your first sentence is very clearly wrong.

We spent most of the preseason learning a slow chip chip gameplan to try and reduce our “score against” stats but all we did in the process was destroy our quick ball movement which in turn trashed our “score for” stats.

And we also invented a new position called the “shape keeper*”.

* Patent pending AFC 2024

Not true, we improved our scoring power. Sure, even though we’d not played a premiership points game when Tex stated as fact that we’d gotten even better at scoring and that helped his form, we still need to believe our experienced guys. They know exactly what’s going on.

IMG_4154.png

Yep. I get that but Tex is a natural leader, teacher, coach and inspiration. As a one club legend, he'll command respect beyond most players from many clubs. And absolutely ours.

Regarding th enew environment thing, I totally agree with you that in most instances, a wider exerience adds to the knowledge and wisdom of the individual. The exception to this however, is when you create your own environment without the "sheep mentality of following others.

Awesome leaders are there in everyday life and make the iron hot by striking. They don't need to wait until it's hot to make stuff happen.

I see inside Tex a progressive, positive, proactive and passionate professional who has the courage to speak his mind and act upon those thoughts. A natural leader who really will...lead.

Ted only knows what he's learned at the AFC. It's not enough.

Not true, we improved our scoring power. Sure, even though we’d not played a premiership points game when Tex stated as fact that we’d gotten even better at scoring and that helped his form, we still need to believe our experienced guys. They know exactly what’s going on.

View attachment 2044557
lol i just laugh everytime i read what tex says about nicks - "he lets us go to weddings and drop the kids off at school, if im late for a meeting he doesnt care in the slightest".....ELITE STANDARDS.

George Lazenby High Standards GIF by James Bond 007

They are if our coach still didn’t continue to make mistakes like Lachie Neale. But do you think our experienced players are performing?
Nope. Clearly not. So while the first four can be blamed on an inexplicable change in game style, the rest can absolutely be blamed on the drop in form of our senior players as well as the junior fellas being inconsistent (as happens With both senior players and kids). Lachie Neale isn’t stopped by many teams… he’s just that good. Anyways, coaches make mistakes. Nicks has made many. But he’s also got us there and there abouts AND he’s been extended for two more years. Like I said before, no point carrying on like a pork chop because there’s nothing we can do about it.

Sackable?

The 0-4 start cost us our season. If we started 2-2 or 3-1 its a completely different world.

Surely - we can't go into 2025 with a coach that single handidly ruined our season?
Single handedly? There’s a coaching panel. All must share the blame. Besides which, they were trying to fix a weakness from last year (poor defence) which was a good thing, but in so doing, (combined with Tex’s drop in form, TT injury) buggered up our attack. Nicks knows the premiership team ultimately has the best defence, and he was trying to address this. Anyways, it’s a moot point. The Club had decided to extend him but was holding off the announcement. The timing of it was horrendous. Either do it before the season starts, or wait until the bye. The timing made absolutely no sense whatsoever. But here we are. There won’t be a change of coach unless something drastic (like lose every game from here on in by 60+ points happens IMO). And given our season of mostly close losses, that’s not likely. Like I said, there and there abouts.

Nope. Clearly not. So while the first four can be blamed on an inexplicable change in game style, the rest can absolutely be blamed on the drop in form of our senior players as well as the junior fellas being inconsistent (as happens With both senior players and kids). Lachie Neale isn’t stopped by many teams… he’s just that good. Anyways, coaches make mistakes. Nicks has made many. But he’s also got us there and there abouts AND he’s been extended for two more years. Like I said before, no point carrying on like a pork chop because there’s nothing we can do about it.
We can’t do anything about anything the Crows do, doesn’t stop us talking, debating, critiquing and criticising. Telling us not to is pointless, there’s nothing you can do about it.

As for Neale, Saints went the hard tag and he had 20 touches. He had more than that plus 3 goals in a half against us.

If we are only going to discuss what we can change, it’s going to be a very quiet forum.

Last edited:
Single handedly? There’s a coaching panel. All must share the blame. Besides which, they were trying to fix a weakness from last year (poor defence)
We had the 8th/9th best defence last year - our forwards contributed but our 116% was built on good defence and great forwards

Im not sure what they were trying to fix

Interesting thoughts.

Do you think he is an inclusive leader?
Inclusiveness can be interpreted or measured differently from person to person. Taking the North Adelaide racism scandal as an example, he showed a lack of inclusiveness by segregating someone according to race. But conversely, he was addressing a team mate (I know he wasn't playing the actual game) and suggesting how he might move past the issue his teammate was having with the oppo player. In a tribal sense, he was including teammates and stepped into their troubles to assist. As it was only a SANFL game, inclusiveness was displayed to the club. But as we all know, his judgement was poor and he has paid a substantial price for that lack of judgement. I think that whole sorry saga has made him a better man and a better potential leader.

Does he equally include all the players on our squad in his life? I'm sure he wouldn't. He'd have friends inside and outside the club just like each of us. But at work, to my eye, he is conspicuously the most vocal, most encouraging, most sharing player we have. He's also probably the most demanding as we've seen with his no so subtle sprays of teammates who get something wrong. This is a good trait of leadership. Be firm, be clear, give encouragement, give advice, give criticism...but then demonstrate these words with actions for others to follow.

Taylor Walker might be a country lad who had to grow up in the fishbowl of all our lives, but underneath the lack of a Geelong Grammar education, (I don't actually know where he went to school but assuming broken hill) there is a genuine man there who is smarter than the exterior would have you believe. A genuine rough diamond.

Of any of our ex players, Tex is the one I hope most strongly, remains active in the club after his playing days.

Single handedly? There’s a coaching panel. All must share the blame.

Disagree. Nicks is a senior head coach. He is responsible and in charge.

If his ASSISTANTS aren't doing what they are instructed or adhering to his strategy - its on him.

Besides which, they were trying to fix a weakness from last year (poor defence) which was a good thing, but in so doing, (combined with Tex’s drop in form, TT injury) buggered up our attack. Nicks knows the premiership team ultimately has the best defence, and he was trying to address this.

It seems the #1 defense of Nicks is that he is open to changing and willing to try new things, despite how stupid and ineffective those changes are.

Anyways, it’s a moot point.

Not really. I think a senior head coach (and his panel) effectively ruining a full season through their actions (which even you agreed with earlier) is definitely a very relevant point.

The Club had decided to extend him but was holding off the announcement. The timing of it was horrendous. Either do it before the season starts, or wait until the bye. The timing made absolutely no sense whatsoever. But here we are.

Why was the club holding off the announcement?

I don' think it was just the timing that was horrendous. Surely it was the fact that it was a TWO year extension. Why not a one year extension?

There won’t be a change of coach unless something drastic (like lose every game from here on in by 60+ points happens IMO). And given our season of mostly close losses, that’s not likely. Like I said, there and there abouts.

You are most likely correct. It just seems so out of touch with how we have operated in the past (no coach has survived 2 years of missing finals and this dunce has now lasted 5).

We had the 8th/9th best defence last year - our forwards contributed but our 116% was built on good defence and great forwards

Im not sure what they were trying to fix
We have gone from one of the most watchable to least watchable sides.

Just read what the opposition supporters think of us now compared to last season.

We also now don't have a game plan that is capable of winning finals... but most importantly no longer have a game plan capable of making finals.

It's insane the coaching group reverted to a losing boring game plan. It's like they are trolling supporters this season after giving us expectations.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we are only going to discuss what we can change, it’s going to be a very quiet forum.
Not saying don't discuss it, but the bloody doomsday OH MY GOD THE SKY IS FALLING IN is just a tad melodramatic, don't ya think? The personal attacks on players and coaches alike is childish and feeble.

Not saying don't discuss it, but the bloody doomsday OH MY GOD THE SKY IS FALLING IN is just a tad melodramatic, don't ya think? The personal attacks on players and coaches alike is childish and feeble.
It isn’t falling? And you are actually saying don’t discuss Nicks, he ain’t going anywhere, it’s pointless.

Question, have you posted in the positive thread?

Disagree. Nicks is a senior head coach. He is responsible and in charge.

If his ASSISTANTS aren't doing what they are instructed or adhering to his strategy - its on him.

It seems the #1 defense of Nicks is that he is open to changing and willing to try new things, despite how stupid and ineffective those changes are.

Not really. I think a senior head coach (and his panel) effectively ruining a full season through their actions (which even you agreed with earlier) is definitely a very relevant point.

Why was the club holding off the announcement?

I don' think it was just the timing that was horrendous. Surely it was the fact that it was a TWO year extension. Why not a one year extension?

You are most likely correct. It just seems so out of touch with how we have operated in the past (no coach has survived 2 years of missing finals and this dunce has now lasted 5).
"This DUNCE"? Really? Far out, this is what I'm talking about.

You'll get no argument from me relating to either the extension length or the announcement. But I do think he has gotten far more latitude than previous coaches, because he's really the only one that undertook a rebuild. We are STILL the second or third youngest and least experienced team in the league. The same standards just cannot apply in this regard (ie. 2 seasons without finals is a sackable offence). We MUST recruit some experience in this offseason, that has to be an absolute.

We have gone from one of the most watchable to least watchable sides.

Just read what the opposition supporters think of us now compared to last season.

We also now don't have a game plan that is capable of winning finals... but most importantly no longer have a game plan capable of making finals.

It's insane the coaching group reverted to a losing boring game plan. It's like they are trolling supporters this season after giving us expectations.
This is perhaps the greatest failure of a year of failure.

Riddle

"What do dogs that chase cars and coaches who oversee failure have in common?

They both don't last too long..."

"This DUNCE"? Really? Far out, this is what I'm talking about.

The definition of Dunce is "a person who is slow to learn or stupid".

Based on the coaching decisions we have seen in Nicks 4th and 5th seasons it is clear at least one of these applies to Nicks.

Our 0-4 start which you blamed purely on the coaches - supports this - does it not.

The definition of Dunce is "a person who is slow to learn or stupid".

Based on the coaching decisions we have seen in Nicks 4th and 5th seasons it is clear at least one of these applies to Nicks.

Our 0-4 start which you blamed purely on the coaches - supports this - does it not.
Would a dunce squeeze out 7 years of $$$ from a club based on no success whatsoever?

Almost have to admire him. He must have some smarts

He's the Mackay of coaching. Long tenure, staunch internal support, no achievement

Review R17: The Good, Bad and Ugly vs. Brisbane Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back