Game Day R21: Geelong vs Adelaide @ GMHBA

How many intercept possessions for Tom Stewart today?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

The problem Nicks has is not youth, not sure which poster pointed this a couple of years ago (1970crow you perhaps?)

But Nicks at every opportunity will pick the senior player regardless of form, there needs to be injury to get younger players in.

How confident are you that without the injury to Crouch the injury/suspension to Rankine etc that we'd ever have seen Dowling or Taylor ? (I have no confidence at all)

He doesn't deliberately develop youth, thats the problem.
Maybe.

It feels like he's pretty deliberately developed Rachele, Michelanney, Jones, Soligo - but some like Worrell could have come in earlier.

I think he brings back experienced players because we don't have many of them. We're already very young, trying to have a bit of balance there is probably valuable.

That being said, I don't think you want to move backwards now. I'm glad Smith didn't come back in and we backed that back six in.

Why?

He's a skinny teenage kid, what were you expecting he was going to do? It would have been good for his development but would have done nothing to help us win.
Actually get the ball and, oh I don’t know, maybe HIT A FECKIN’ target?!?!

Maybe.

It feels like he's pretty deliberately developed Rachele, Michelanney, Jones, Soligo - but some like Worrell could have come in earlier.
how has he deliberately developed them though? Isn't there a thread about the complete lack of CBAs at the start of the year for Rachele?
I think he brings back experienced players because we don't have many of them. We're already very young, trying to have a bit of balance there is probably valuable.

That being said, I don't think you want to move backwards now. I'm glad Smith didn't come back in and we backed that back six in.
I have no issue with experienced players, its when he keeps picking them regardless of form thats the problem.

I completely agree we need balance, but for instance, continuing to pick Smith when he was clearly out of form isn't a outlier for Nicks, its the norm.

I know every human in SA hates him, but Murphy had been pretty good the first three quarters and had done his role.

You sub Murphy off, then you need to move someone into that role because that's not Curtin. So you're doing multiple moves, just to get a 19 year old out there.

Starting Berry as the sub was the obvious move - except they were right to play him before Curtin, because he had an excellent game.
1722680370298.png
8 disposals in 3 quarters is playing well?

Why?

He's a skinny teenage kid, what were you expecting he was going to do? It would have been good for his development but would have done nothing to help us win.

Sorry - hate to feed a troll. BUT …

Are you nuts?

So the only reason you pick a young player is PURELY to give them experience? You don’t think young players can influence the result / make your team better??

O M G.

Take a step back from your current positions, have a look at the corner you are painting yourself into.

Beating a lesser Geelong in Geelong should not be the aim. That’s the issue most of us have with the club right now … the aim should be to build a team that can WIN the premiership.

With that in mind, how do you feel about the selections, the sub decision, the coaching?

Be honest. Forget about the past arguments you are trying to maintain, the narrow pathway you have built for yourself … not good is it?

Maybe.

A friendly comment from an outsider, I see teams have their ups and downs, but usually week for week lows and highs changes in form, but the Crows with them, it appears there is a roaming field of players , just carrying out the basics and then every now and again they play like supermen.

I honestly can't understand it, because they look like also rans at times then came back to try for maybe a couple of minutes, then fall off again.
The best thing I saw was the risk when your large backman booted straight up the middle where Tex was,he marked and I think maybe got Crows their last score, after passing it off. Can't remember.

I do believe that your club was massacred by free kicks as well, for petty frees thatare the things I talk about that don't deserve to be free kicks in the first place.

I think I saw Geelong get about 5 frees in the passing of about 3 or 4 minutes.

There was a goal too, to Geelong, now this was about 5 minutes into the third quarter.

a Geelong player was caught cold with the ball and dropped or threw it away, it should have been a free to Adelaide but, it was given to a Geelong player who must have been interferred with behind the play while his teammate was getting caught and dropped the ball. This behind the play free kick, which I have no idea what it was for, was paid for a free in front of goal. My usual complaint about this frustrating umpiring has me thinking, what is the controlling umpire meant to be watching, things behind and out of reach of the ball, or at where the ball is and calling frees.

Because on this occasion it cost Adelaide a goal to Geelong. The cats get everything its amazing how, and they also appear to be training for the LIFT ARM ---SHOULDER DROP Selwood type free kick cheating that he practiced at training. A few others in clubs doing it too, I think it needs to be just let go, but some umpires get sucked in.

Didn't help the Crows and I don't know whether they'd have won anyway, but fair dinkum the free kicks for pettiness needs to be looked at by the AFL , I think you guys lost by 5 points. Thats the point of what the umpires job is? Adjudicate the play, where the ball is?
Or watch for the thousands of incidental touching actions and missing real free kicks?

Average ages this rounds teams

Crows 24y.4m
North 24.0
Gold Coast 24.1
West Coast 25.1
GWS 24.6
Freo 24.5
Gold Coast is not 24.1, you left off a zero it's 24yrs 10mths Crows 24yrs 4mths

Only North fielded a less games experienced team 72.5 Adelaide 78.5

Last night against Geelong breakdown.

Capture.PNG

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Average ages this rounds teams

Crows 24y.4m
North 24.0
Gold Coast 24.1
West Coast 25.1
GWS 24.6
Freo 24.5

Gold Coast is not 24.1, you left off a zero it's 24yrs 10mths Crows 24yrs 4mths

Only North fielded a less games experienced team 72.5 Adelaide 78.5

Last night against Geelong breakdown.

View attachment 2068474

FWIW if we subtract off Tex, our age loses about 0.8 of a year, which is about 8 months, putting us at 23yr 8 months. We also lose about 8 games of average experience putting us in high 60's low 70's territory depending on who else is in the team. Having Smith in the team takes us the other way by a similar margin. Whichever way you cook it we are still one of the least experienced teams in the comp.

FWIW if we subtract off Tex, our age loses about 0.8 of a year, which is about 8 months, putting us at 23yr 8 months. We also lose about 8 games of average experience putting us in high 60's low 70's territory depending on who else is in the team. Having Smith in the team takes us the other way by a similar margin. Whichever way you cook it we are still one of the least experienced teams in the comp.
Exactly, not sure what that poster's point was?

They weren't struggling - it wasn't obvious AT ALL who to bring Curtin on for.

Christ, the same people with the same ****ing opinions on here, it's like people don't actually watch with fresh eyes every week.

What, like defending every stupid ass decision this club makes at every turn?

Now that's a dumb "****ing" opinion of the highest order.

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day R21: Geelong vs Adelaide @ GMHBA

Back