Preview R24 | Sydney vs Adelaide | SCG - Sat 24/8 @ 7:40PM AEST | We need to prove a point (unlike last year)

In honour of our guests, what are the Crows best performances against us in recent years?

• 2024 at home – Graciously hosting the biggest Amartey Party yet

Votes: 12 31.6%
  • 2016 Semi Final – Giving up a 7 goal opening quarter to... us

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • 2012 Qualifying Final – Kicking 5.12 in a 29 point loss

Votes: 12 31.6%
  • 2012 – Keeping the Tippett contract so quiet they almost got something for him

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • 2013 at home – Kicking as many goals as Jesse White into the 3rd

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • 2017 at home – Nailbiting loss and Talia's chase on Buddy

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • 2020 at home – Tex missing with 30 seconds left, in front of a usual 4th quarter Adelaide crowd

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2023 at home – Failing to defend a crucial late kick-in, allowing the game to be iced

Votes: 14 36.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bloods86

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 7, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Adelaide United, Everton, Socceroos
Non Swans fans who didn't actively look for this - https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...thout-meaning-to-heres-how-to-fix-it.1381066/

This preview is proudly brought to you by BigFooty losing a draft (luckily mostly backed up), having compatibility issues with OpenOffice (like removing spaces, hopefully all fixed), and the author deciding to head into town on a Showdown night, then finishing the preview feeling like he's playing a first quarter for us.

Match Details – The Johnston Armstrong Cup

Round 24 - Sydney Swans v Adelaide Powerstancers at the SCG
Saturday 24 August 2024 - 7:40 PM (AEST)

The Prologue

Known in some South Australian circles as a wooden device to which non-amateur footballers are strapped, in the lead up to the season proper, this "prologue" and the following, were fixing to be difficult to write. It's been two years since I penned my only other preview, and such was the outpouring of Crows source material, it was feared that nothing could happen to replenish the stocks (as I didn't have private conversations with players to use to my advantage).

Until one great man rose to the occasion.

ben-keays.jpeg

All jokes aside (for 2 seconds), we were lucky to get away with that. And for any Crows fans perusing our board this week, I'm sorry I'm not going to be your favourite poster if you keep reading. Heck, I'm nowhere near this board's favourite poster. That honour belongs to Ben Keays.

This upcoming clash will be within 5 days of the anniversary of that fateful night. Where we survived an actually impressive onslaught, and the Adelaide Football Club and its supporters handled themselves with such grace in the aftermath, as if they were the only club to ever be on the receiving end of a poor umpiring decision, in a season defining match.

It also keenly marks the reunion of our man Joel and his favourite defensive unit. Some absolute dingus was overseas for that one, and home for the Port game, sad to say. Down on goal-kicking form recently, but a couple late against the Dons, can Amartey bring the Party back home to the SCG? Assuming he pulls up ok of course, and isn't replaced by another Joel, though we'll have to workshop slogans if that switch comes off, because "Hamboree" is questionable.

Past 5

Our winning streak against the Crows stretches back 5-0 to 2019 BC (Before Covid).

last5.jpeg

Recent Form

Swans: W-W-L-L-Lloooyyydd
Crows: L-W-L-L-W

Both teams have had some mixed form recently. Though to be fair on the Crows, they competed against Port and had a big win against the Dogs, which we could only dream of. And they had a close, hard fought loss away at "beautiful" GMHBA Stadium on that same day we capitulated pathetically to the South Australian team that's playing finals.

The Crows will be wanting to go out on a high note, though probably not quite like Crouch and Stengle in 2020. We'll just be looking to hit the finals bye building on our improved form, and without any further injuries.

The Match-Ups

JJ on Dawson - I think we're all in agreement, despite some debate over how personally aggrieved we should be for his return to SA, none of us want to see him play well this week. So to that end, it's a battle of Jordan vs Jordon, a struggle so immense that some Swans fans seemingly play out daily on this board.

Fox/Cleary on Sholl, or Fox/Hayward on Michalanney - Crows spread the intercepting and rebounding around their non KPDs. Michalanney was the main man against the Power, Sholl however had clocked up metres gained, rebound 50s and intercept possessions in the weeks before that. It depends if Sholl goes back, given he's also susceptible to some turnovers, so Cleary might get the job to hassle him (a task he looks perfectly up to). If Fox is fit, I'd be putting him on one of these guys however (and leaving him there for the whole game Horse).

Amartey on Keane - Crows will do anything to avoid this, but Amartey has to get himself on Keane if he plays. The Crows can be susceptible to psychological damage, though usually self-inflicted in the off-season, so a repeat might reap rewards.

TMac on Thilthorpe, Rampe on Tex/Burgess, Melican on Fogarty, Cunningham on Rachele

The Crows tall spearheads are quite dangerous on their day, so it's not really a matter of dominating these guys one-on-one, but limiting quality delivery and helping teammates. I suspect we're just going to need to outscore them. Tex is no guarantee to get back, and I'm not sure the Crows risk him for the final round, so Burgess (4 goals in SANFL) might return. With Rankine out, there's more pressure on the talls, plus Rachele and Keays to kick a winning score, so I'd expect Cunners to get Rachele and would prefer the bigger Mills to spend some time locking down on Keays.

Longmire vs Nicks - There was actually some overlap for these two, with Longmire joining our coaching staff in 2002, Nicks retiring a few years later. One will be seeking to lead his side to another Grand Final, the other will be keeping an eye on Seek, unless finally the Crows make it back to September action next year.

Some Oppo Stats (prior to Showdown)

Crows are 3-6 away from AO this season, including wins against North and narrowly over a sliding Bombers. After going 2-8 last year, with wins against the Eagles in a dead rubber final round and a narrow victory over the 2023 Hawks. Not a great away record, though they have pushed a number of good sides.

Crows rank 17th in least opponent clearances this year, which bodes well for us, a team that is sometimes as "clearance challenged" as seen in one of those truck/underpass videos.

Crows rank 4th for least opponent marks per game, which is fine, because we usually don't feel like doing that anyway.

The Billboard #1 Single when the Crows last won a Grand Final was Aerosmith's I Don't Want to Miss a Thing. #1 at the Box Office was the first Rush Hour movie. 3 days after that game, Australian police drama Stingers made its TV premiere.

Crows rank 5th in tackles. The Crows are certainly not toothless overall, they have a number of players who won't shirk the contest and will make us earn it, despite their ladder position. No joshing!

Lastly, the Crows are ranked 5th in Rebound 50s, and 3rd in restricting opposition Rebound 50s, so it's just as well we have longstanding excellent pressure forwards who lock the ball in, and have our intercept/turnover game up and going consistently.

Our Changes / Team

Disclaimer: This is what I would do, not what Horse will do, stating what should be obvious. I am aware of Horse's tendencies to not manage players. Although he did with Amartey, so it gives me some hope he will finally do it (in a round which is not ideal for managing players).

Out: Grundy (man), Hayward (man), Adams (man/omit), Corey (omit)
In: Ladhams, Fox, Chad, Sheldrick

Wouldn't take any chances with tired/sore players this week, hence the Grundy and Hayward changes. This all also depends on how Amartey pulls up (Hamling in, or Isaac at FF), whether Chad and Robbie are ready to go, and if Papley wills his way to availability. I'm bringing Ladhams in as I think he can put in a shift as no.1 ruck, and has been among some VFL goals recently. Heeney gets a mini break, playing mostly forward.

I'm loathe to drop Corey, he doesn't deserve it and backed up well from his sub appearance in the VFL, but I'd like to get Sheldrick a game under his belt, even as sub, in case he's called upon in finals. We may be able to arrange some reserves matches with GWS, also out of VFL finals, and if that's the case next weekend, then I'd probably keep Corey in seniors as sub and give Sheldrick a full game there to continue building fitness (unless the timings work out so Gus could play both). Horse will likely keep Adams, drop Corey and not play Sheldrick anyway.

FB: Cunningham | McCartin | Rampe
HB: Roberts | Melican | Blakey
C: Gulden | Ch Warner | Florent
HF: Campbell | McDonald | Fox
FF: Heeney | Amartey | Parker
R: Ladhams | Rowbottom | Jordon
Int: McLean | Lloyd (wing/HB) | Mills (def) | Cleary (fwd)
Sub: Sheldrick
E: Hamling | Co Warner | McAndrew

Final Words

It's hard to know whether the Crows might shut up shop after the Showdown, with their collective minds on post-season trips to Bali and Broken Hill. Though in 2024, the Crows have had some excellent games and showed some fight against Top 8 sides that other clubs should be jealous of.

However, having calmly advocated their way to what some considered to be an easier fixture, with expectations of long-promised contention, the Crows have at times been so disappointing to watch, that poor Sloaney retired prematurely as "the risk of another eye injury was too great." In all seriousness though, it does sound like a horrible end to a classy and courageous career, the type of leader every club loves to have. All the best to him and his family.

We're on the improve, with a couple of wins, following some horrific form and effort. Pies and Dons were mediocre teams on the nights, but we have gotten our mojo back in patches. After a better start against Collingwood, we were lucky to be within a kick at quarter time versus Essendon. With any luck, the Crows will remain half an hour behind, and we might get away with it, before willing ourselves to a potentially challenging win, growing in confidence, and getting a much needed week off.

Swans by 34.

Bonus Content

Buddy vs Talia
The Keays "Goal"
Jesse White vs Crows 2013

Last edited:

Out: Grundy, Adams, Haywood, Heeney, Blakey, Amartey - all rested
In: Ladhams, Sheldrick, Chad Warner, Corey Warner , Fox , Hamling

Emergency : Heeney or whoever is next in line

Because a finals return to early season form of Grundy, Adams, Blakey and even Amartey chipping in = Premiership
And that's not going to happen unless their bodies are rested.

And there's no point in risking Heeney in the game if we don't have to.

Weird game to chose. Why not come up two weeks later for a final instead?

My wife and daughter go for the Crows and the flights were cheap, is that ok? 🤣

My wife and daughter go for the Crows and the flights were cheap, is that ok? 🤣
Slightly less weird I guess. It's still a long way to go for a dead rubber.

Maybe if you're on the same flight you could ask the Crows if they have onward flights to Bali or LA for the post season trip?

Maybe if you're on the same flight you could ask the Crows if they have onward flights to Bali or LA for the post season trip?

Umm ok

How aweful, a weekend away with the family and get to see a football match as well! 😨

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we should rest on a case by case basis.

Grundy yes, others dunno, match committee will know.

Resting some may work against our players.

Also, I can't help but remember the debacle Freo put themselves into.

Consider Rest > bye > First final win > bye > Prelim,..., dunno if certain players can continually switch on and off

Exec summary for those who can’t watch the game:

* there’ll be no significant team changes. Nobody will be rested.

* at 1/4 time, Swans 14 points down

* by 3/4 time, Swans 26 points up

* bruise free final quarter, Swans win by 16

* Horse answers every question at the post-match presser by talking about “the contest”

I think we should rest on a case by case basis.

Grundy yes, others dunno, match committee will know.

Resting some may work against our players.

Also, I can't help but remember the debacle Freo put themselves into.

Consider Rest > bye > First final win > bye > Prelim,..., dunno if certain players can continually switch on and off
Yeah, this is why waiting for this game to manage players isn't ideal. Plus, further running players into the ground, like Grundy doesn't help anyone.

* Horse answers every question at the post-match presser by talking about “the contest”
"John, the Crows surprised some by dropping Rachele, after losing Rankine to concussion, and Keane for this game. As someone who is loathe to drop players sometimes, what do you think could have been the reasons behind that?"

[Longmire smirks, and leans into the mic]

I don't see us resting anyone except perhaps Grundy and maybe Adams. We're working into form so doubt Longmire will want to voluntarily disrupt our rhythm beyond the necessary.

Think we'll see a bit of a touch-up and return to early season form.

This game is kinda important for me because personally I am not convinced. I don't want to be going into finals unconvinced. So I'd like us to play something close to our best footy this week.

Play our best footy, field our best side, get our players in the best form possible.

I understand the urge to want to try Sheldrick over Adams, but I feel any of our mids could get 30+ regularly if played as the rover in our VFL side. If we are looking for someone to offer more in a ball use sense than Adams, then I'm not sure Sheldrick is that person.

Only player I'd be dropping Adams for would be one of the returning injured players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back