Preview R24 | Sydney vs Adelaide | SCG - Sat 24/8 @ 7:40PM AEST | We need to prove a point (unlike last year)

In honour of our guests, what are the Crows best performances against us in recent years?

• 2024 at home – Graciously hosting the biggest Amartey Party yet

Votes: 12 31.6%
  • 2016 Semi Final – Giving up a 7 goal opening quarter to... us

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • 2012 Qualifying Final – Kicking 5.12 in a 29 point loss

Votes: 12 31.6%
  • 2012 – Keeping the Tippett contract so quiet they almost got something for him

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • 2013 at home – Kicking as many goals as Jesse White into the 3rd

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • 2017 at home – Nailbiting loss and Talia's chase on Buddy

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • 2020 at home – Tex missing with 30 seconds left, in front of a usual 4th quarter Adelaide crowd

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2023 at home – Failing to defend a crucial late kick-in, allowing the game to be iced

Votes: 14 36.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
our actual kryptonite is when teams have a number of tall marking options. its why i am less worried about hawthorn geelong and the giants. We can manage if blakey can peel off and spoil. Our problem is when the western bulldogs throw three talls forward and we have 3 tall defenders and our fourth cant cover. or when port have three tall forwards and our fourth cant get across and cover. or when freo do the same (and fortunately they look out).

putting ratugolea forward against us when our defence was already shot was likely to cause immense problems - dixon was too big for mccartin, georgiadis was too big for blakey and dixon was too big for francis. Coupled with our midfield turning the ball over and putting no pressure on the ball carrier it is the huge issue. putting mcdonald back added to the mess up.

Horse wanted to keep the structure he'd planned but it meant that there was no way the defence could cope. i agree with you that the coaching that night was really poor. I mean if he put reid back after we were four goals down in the semi final v geelong in 2017 why so slow in this match
How are the Crows set up?

our actual kryptonite is when teams have a number of tall marking options. its why i am less worried about hawthorn geelong and the giants. We can manage if blakey can peel off and spoil. Our problem is when the western bulldogs throw three talls forward and we have 3 tall defenders and our fourth cant cover. or when port have three tall forwards and our fourth cant get across and cover. or when freo do the same (and fortunately they look out).

putting ratugolea forward against us when our defence was already shot was likely to cause immense problems - dixon was too big for mccartin, georgiadis was too big for blakey and dixon was too big for francis. Coupled with our midfield turning the ball over and putting no pressure on the ball carrier it is the huge issue. putting mcdonald back added to the mess up.

Horse wanted to keep the structure he'd planned but it meant that there was no way the defence could cope. i agree with you that the coaching that night was really poor. I mean if he put reid back after we were four goals down in the semi final v geelong in 2017 why so slow in this match
Interesting to watch the Bravedogs at present.

As soon as they win the ball in defensive 50, their tall forwards sprint forward to create space. They just have confidence that their mids will transition it …. they’re not worried about a turnover.

When we’re struggling (typically early in games), our forwards either stay back, or go wide.
We have no “slingshot” and hence our forwards don’t get 1-on-1 opportunities.
I can only assume it’s because we are concerned about score against from turnover.

Later in games, when the corridor opens up, our forwards do seem to have the confidence to stream forward.

Yeah I noticed that.
Dos and Joel were in the ruck a wee bit.

I love Joel in the ruck but I don't know if his body can handle it. Potentially could try it this week with Mclean primary ruck & Joel secondary ruck? Potentially play Hamling as another tall fwd.

I wouldn't say it's mostly on our "defence". Our midfield has allowed teams to stream forward unchecked more often, we saw that really start to hit home against Freo. Then we've been restricted by teams, and failed to work hard enough in rebounding after turnovers, intercepts and kick ins.

I think in many cases, the "defence" e.g. the lockdown and intercept types, have been put under additional pressure caused by better quality delivery due to lack of pressure and repeat entries when we turn it over ourselves and it just comes back straight away.

It's why I'm less inclined to sink the boot into guys like TMac, one of few, actual defensive contants recently, with what others are making him deal with.

Collingwood and Bombers were also wasteful, which Port and the Dogs early on, certainly were not.

Yeah I know. I'm just saying the rest of the team is accountable for how "bad" our defence looks at times.

I don't know how realistic it is to expect TMac to look like a gun, which he still does at times, when in the last month or so he's had his other 2 KPD partners go down, and we've been awful elsewhere. I still see him getting important marks and spoils in etc.
Yeah sorry I should have been clearer. I wasn’t trying to have a go at personnel. I was wondering if injuries to our defence had a concertina effect through the team. They first meant that the defence got looser. Then they made players like Blakey have to tighten up, which impacted their game. This in turn restricted our ability to rebound, which then impacted our wingers and midfielders, then forwards. And on top of this, the defence and players then lost confidence and then form dropped.

My recollection is that we lost 2-3 important defenders over a few weeks. At first we kept winning (but less decisively) and then the wheels starting coming off. Then things started to uplift the moment Mills went into defence - which made me wonder if injuries to our defence was the root cause. I very well could be wrong!

Last edited:
I love Joel in the ruck but I don't know if his body can handle it. Potentially could try it this week with Mclean primary ruck & Joel secondary ruck? Potentially play Hamling as another tall fwd.

I would be amazed if Hamling plays in any position this season. If Grundy is rested, surely they’ll bring in Ladhams. He’s an actual ruck who can pinch hit forward probably at least as well as Hamling. They won’t risk Amartey in the ruck with his injury history and Hamling is only servicable even as a VFL forward.

I think our players blew their chance at a rest/management this week when they were average against Freo.

And against St Kilda.

And against Brisbane.

And against the Bulldogs.

And against Port.

And for three quarters against Collingwood.

And for two quarters against Essendon.

The opportunities for managing the players have come and gone. We have a grand total of one game between now and a home qualifying final. We need to rediscover our best footy and we need to do it quickly.

Rest will come next week when they'll duck up to their wellness retreats* in Noosa for a few days.

*Pubs
The beatings will continue until morale improves!

I was a bit gobsmacked how poor Adams looked in Q1 on Friday - he was slow, fumbly, not interested in chasing. Yeh I know that could be a good description of the Swans first qrs generally, but he was an outlier of awfulness.
And we know he is much better than that, (see rounds 2-13?) where he was bloody excellent in the absence of Mills, Parker & Sheldrick, so it's his body that needs the rest to rediscover a spring in his step - and not that he can't or won't try.

I'd definitely rest Grundy & Hayward. Hayward in particular could use a week off to give his body time to heal a little more. He's been great, but I'm concerned injuries will continue to compound until he's severely hampered during finals.

Wouldn't mind giving Heeney a break as well. Although, could just as easily play him as a forward and have him play a bit of bruise-free footy.
Unfortunately our forward tend to rack up big Kms going up and back in the modern system and generally have to crack in too. I don't see much rest to be had up forward , unless we want to play him as a stay at home KPF and drop one of the bigs - then we'll be crossing our fingers every time he launches that he lands safely...But I do think he'd be great in that role. He either takes the mark or lands and beats the defender to the ball....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On the Grundy "does he sit one out or play" debate:

How do we know for a fact that he is carrying a niggle (or something worse)? It's just an assumption. A logical one, perhaps - but it's nothing more than conjecture at this point.

What if he is just woefully out of form and the match committee believe it is better to persist? Or that they think he is still the best available option (ie - no faith in either Ladhams or McLean as a first ruck) despite a poor stretch.

This week's team selection will be interesting.

When we’re struggling (typically early in games), our forwards either stay back, or go wide.
We have no “slingshot” and hence our forwards don’t get 1-on-1 opportunities.
I can only assume it’s because we are concerned about score against from turnover.
Slingshot Footy - where are you at our time of need ?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back